What's new

Found a Really interesting 1865 Seated Liberty Half Dollar/ 1901 Morgan Dollar

ringfinder

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
2,753
Reaction score
57
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are my finds from yesterday. My first coin I found yesterday, just about knocked me for a loop. It was a 1865 Seated Half Dollar and on the back of it was a Masonic symbol. Beats me what the heck it is, but I love it. Found it at a one room school house site, that my partner and I have hunted a ton of times. My buddy found a shielded nickel, but lost it somewhere in the field. Guess we will have to find that one after the crops are off this fall.

We went to another One Room school house that we had hunted many, many times. I found two V-nickels, 1901 & 1910, a Mercury Dime, 1942 D, two wheat pennies, 1912 and 1942, some sort of lead bullet, and a bunch of buttons, one of them being a Eagle button. Kinda of think the Eagle might be a War of 1812, not sure.

Not to be outdone, my hunting partner pulled out a 1901 Morgan Silver Dollar in really good shape from the last one room school house site!

The day before I found a arrowhead and a stone knife and a couple of pre-form indian relics. Can't wait for some more rain. It is really dry here in Ohio.

Here is another example of a site is never hunted out!!

All of our finds were found using a Minelab X-terra 70, awesome detector.


HH, Ringfinder
 

Attachments

  • Best Standing Liberty.webp
    Best Standing Liberty.webp
    35.2 KB · Views: 3,213
  • Best Standing Liberty.Back.webp
    Best Standing Liberty.Back.webp
    61.2 KB · Views: 3,184
  • My finds from Today.webp
    My finds from Today.webp
    63.1 KB · Views: 3,196
  • Gary holding dollar.webp
    Gary holding dollar.webp
    114.4 KB · Views: 3,243
  • close up of dollar.webp
    close up of dollar.webp
    122.5 KB · Views: 3,135
  • Back of Silver dollar.webp
    Back of Silver dollar.webp
    128.2 KB · Views: 3,492
Upvote 0
Re: 1865 Seated Liberty Half Dollar/ with Freemason's back!!!

That's wonderful! I love the old coin tokens & love token coins! :icon_thumright:
 
Re: 1865 Seated Liberty Half Dollar/ with Freemason's back!!!

KOOL! Congrats....Hogge :headbang:
 
Re: Found a Really interesting 1865 Seated Liberty Half Dollar!!

u did not even mention the morgan dollar in your story, was that at the one room school too? I cannot imagine a kid ever carrying that! That love token is AWESOME!!
 
Re: Found a Really interesting 1865 Seated Liberty Half Dollar!!

Goes4ever said:
u did not even mention the morgan dollar in your story, was that at the one room school too? I cannot imagine a kid ever carrying that! That love token is AWESOME!!

Yes I did, I said not to be outdone, my hunting partner found a 1901 Silver Dollar!!
Yes all finds came from one room school house sites. They were in corn stalks, so they haven't been planted yet.

HH, Ringfinder
 
Re: Found a Really interesting 1865 Seated Liberty Half Dollar!!

That seated/token is great! Not to mention the morgan. :icon_thumright:
 
Re: Found a Really interesting 1865 Seated Liberty Half Dollar!!

lol, how did I miss that!
 
I do not believe that would be a love token ... more of a religious token... looks to me to be a Masonic sign etched on the back...
 
Congrats on some very nice finds, it sounds like some research really paid off ! That seated is cool and congrats to your Buddy on the Morgan !

TommNJ
 
That Half is incredible!
I wonder if that was done by a watchmaker.
Looks like the etching in fancy pocketwatches called damaskeening.
 
Re: Found a Really interesting 1865 Seated Liberty Half Dollar/ 1901 Morgan Doll

Man that is one of the most beautiful coins I have ever seen dug. You are a lucky fellow to find that. I voted banner, because u and that coin deserve it. I can't stop looking at it. Congrats.
 
Very Sweet place to hunt and that masonic token is to cool
 
Super.....ya'll make a huge score...... :headbang: :headbang:
 
Sweet masonic token\ coin!!!!! Banner they are quite collectible congrats :headbang:
 
sweet love token! congrats..
 
1865 ?-- could be --civil war era "trench art" type token made by a mason (who was a soldier) to while away the hours in camp.
 
That is awesome! Did you polish up that seated liberty and is it for sale. :headbang:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom