Found A Wallet...Turned It In To Police...NIGHTMARE!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
Well, I'm an ex policeman, retired in 1988.
Monty, where did you work LAPD??
They always seem to be so concearned about not hurting anyones feelings. We just had a justified police shooting. The drunk had a knife and was threating some women, a bike cop came up and he lunged at him. Needless to say he is now 6 feet under. and the GD people in the neighborhood rioted for days saying the cop should have done something different. The only thing he could have done different was let the AH stab him.

I too used to be in law enforcement, but I was in a small town in a big county. People there knew that the sheriff was there to help if there was a problem. I would never be a cop down here, or at least not for very long because I profile. If it looks like a book and smells like a book it probably is a book.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, not LAPD, but one of our more "progressive" chiefs always mentioned how they did things there every chance they got. That was until LAPD had a big scandal that broke. Shortly thereafter our chief got a no confidence vote from the officers at large and resigned. The next chief was from out of state and was nearly as bad. One of the guys that wound up a deputy chief was so inept that I had to assign his cases for him when I was a detective supervisor. It was rewarding and I loved being a PO for the first about 12 years and then everything changed. You'd think the ACLU was running law enforcement. I heard a lot of this same stuff from other PDs across the country, so it wasn't just sour grapes on my part. I feel sorry for the new officers that hire on now. They have been forced to be glorified social workers in many instances. They don't gain respect because they aren't allowed to do anything that might hurt a bad guy's feelings. Now I see that same attitude trying to erode our armed forces abilities. One case in particular that comes to mind is where the soldier was threatened with court martial for supposidly slapping a captured enemy terrorist! I would have probably shot the SOB instead of capturing him. But now I guess they are supposed to tell them what a good person they are under their rough exterior and explain how misguided they are in their efforts to kill him and his fellow soldiers and/or citizens of our country. I've probably said too much already so I'll shut up for now. Monty

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well the social security card was a "fake" so most likely dropped by a illegal or scam artist of some sort --not a good thing -- clearly upon seeing a "fake" id the cops were checking up on you to see just who you were --once your multiple addresses came up --red flag--- them clearing out the dead wood of old addresses in your files is understandible --but them passing thru of the other wallet finder was most likely because he was so tied up processing you and no one was availible to help at the time -- since the "other" fellow whos job it was to process the "incoming property report" clearly was not there or you would have been processed -- so you got stuck with the desk "duty sgt" --who was being "overworked" -- so he could not focus on you solely -- you should have been "handed off" to the property clerk once your address mess had been straightened out * but clearly he was "elsewhere" at the time doing something else. -- rather than be swamped the desk sgt wizely told guy #2 to leave a number --if they had questions they would call --however you were already being "SERVICED" --ogh yes you were SERVICED WELL--LOL

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, now on lthe positive side. When you walk into a police station or precinct you never know what is going on at any particular time. There could be a dozen reasons you were detained. That wallet could have been a piece of missing evidence of a major crime. If I was on intake duty or desk duty as it is often called, you can bet I'd want to know just who the heck your are and would detain you until someone working the case was satisfied you had nothing to do with it. Assuming such circumstances had occurred, I certainly would not be at liberty to discuss the details of the case with you. Or perhaps the regular assigned person was out sick and this guy wasn't sure just what he was supposed to do or how to handle the situation. That could be a factor. But often someone who may be in hot water for whatever reason is assigned to desk duty just to keep him or her off the streets until it is resolved. That person doesn't want to be there in the first place and is in a bad situation if there is any merit to the problem until it has been resolved. That's still no excuse to be rude to anyone, especially the private citizens to whom you may need to seek support at a later date. I don't know the circumstances, but I am just giving you a few what ifs. At any rate they should have offered you an explanation before you left. And realisticly I wouldn't consder your experiece a nightmare. It sounds to me more like an annoying inconvenience. Now if they had slapped you into handcuffs and sat you down with some unsavory folks also in handcuffs and given you no explanation, that would have been a nightmare to me. But I suppose some folks are just more sensitive than others? Monty

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Next time try to drop it off in a mail box, relax and be happy you did a good deed

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I'm a huge fan of dropping lost wallets in a mailbox, I've got better things to do with my time

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
WilliamBoyd said:
I turned in a found wallet to the Mountain View California police last year.

In and out in five minutes.

:)

It's gotta be a combination of the phony Social Security card and big city suspicious-ness, is my guess.

SkyPilot

OP
OP
Indianhead Jones

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Revere, Massachusetts (5 Miles North of Boston)
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum/White's Eagle II
Sky Pilot said:
I gotta say, the things you folks have gone through is certainly enough to sour the milk of human kindness!

No offense intended at all, but could it possibly be because y'all live in highly populated areas? (Assuming that you all do, I mean some places are obviously metro areas.)

Great stories, Sky Pilot....I guess it's the same in many areas....and yes, I do live in a metropolitan area....a suburb of Boston!

Larry G. :)

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if this is true in every town but a friend is a postman and he tells me that when you drop a wallet in a mailbox it doesn't make it to the owner,but it stays at the lost and found dept. at the post office.In the pat when I;ve found a wallet I've mailed it back to the owner,if he's from another town from where I live.
Another scam out there is at reststops on the highway here in Texas,one person stands outside of the entrance to the men's room and whistles while looking the other way,you don't pay any attention to it,and when you walk in someone(his partner) looks you up and whistles back either a high pitch or a low pitch and then the one outside walks in behind you and robs you,either with a gun or knife.
Another one that's going on here in Texas at grocery stores involves a little girl about 5-10 years old,usually from Mexico,her mom is in the store shopping and looking at all the customers that are in the store with the purses,open and in the top part of the shopping cart,they walk around the store trying to figure out the best person to steal from.The crime goes down like this,the mother has her daughter push the cart into the women cart so it makes a noise and the women than yells at her daughter very loud ,usually in Spanish,the unsuspected person fells sorry for the little girl,who buy know is crying and her mother either walks away or gets in front of the other women's cart/purse and either she or another daughter reaches in and grabs the money,phone or car keys a splits.The mother whips away her daughter and the other women has no idea anything has happend until she goes to check out :( I work at one of these grocery stores where this has happend and it's really sad when we catch them. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Indianhead Jones

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Revere, Massachusetts (5 Miles North of Boston)
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum/White's Eagle II
Produce Guy said:
I work at one of these grocery stores where this has happend and it's really sad when we catch them. :thumbsup:

Hi Produce Guy,

It's a shame that decent, honest and caring people have to share the same world with the scum you have described.

I remember something my Dad said when I was a little kid. He said, "This would be a beautiful world if there weren't any people in it."

He wasn't referring to the good, decent people of course, but I'll never forget that statement.

Larry G.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Indianhead Jones said:
Sky Pilot said:
I gotta say, the things you folks have gone through is certainly enough to sour the milk of human kindness!

No offense intended at all, but could it possibly be because y'all live in highly populated areas? (Assuming that you all do, I mean some places are obviously metro areas.)

Great stories, Sky Pilot....I guess it's the same in many areas....and yes, I do live in a metropolitan area....a suburb of Boston!

Larry G. :)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I think that may be a part of it, Larry. Great Post !! :thumbsup:

Richard

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
I love living in a small town. Chances are if I found a wallet, I'd know the person that lost it. There's less than 2000 people here, and everybody looks out for each other.

Yep... it's good living in a small town.

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
One day when walking thought the police parking lot I found a Licence plate, i walked through the to the guy behind the counter. I said i found this in your parking lot. Well he wanted all this info in case the plate was use in a crime. I said ya right I walked out and threw in back in the parking lot.
Went home.

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Indianhead Jones said:
Where do you live, Bigwater?

Larry G.

In a very rural area in the Appalachian mountains about 70 miles due north of Atlanta. I live in the Chatahooche National Forest, and have no neighbors to speak of. The view off of my back deck is nothing but 450,000 acres of mountains and trees. I love it.

riverrunner814

Feb 14, 2009
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Do like I do when finding a wallet, Just put it a mailbox at the post office. Let them return it as they will. Prefer to put a rubber band on it so nothing falls out. :icon_thumleft:

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Sky Pilot said:
cyberdan said:
trainer said:
Next time try to drop it off in a mail box, relax and be happy you did a good deed
Make sure you wipe your prints off first. ;D :icon_pirat:

For real!!!! :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Isn't it a Federal crime to "tamper" (even open) someones mailbox?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread