Found A Wallet...Turned It In To Police...NIGHTMARE!

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
Well the last wallet I found had a lot of money in it and I didn't want to leave it with the manager of the store because you can't always trust them to tell the truth that yes there was over $300 nope the man might get a wallet less the cash and told that is how I handed it to them. I tried to locate the mans phone number it was unlisted so I went to wifes work and told her the story she looked to see if he had been a previous patient he was she called him asked what to instruct me to do and I went back to the store he was there and pulled $10 out and said you probably would not take this and I said you are right but my little girl will appreciate it and she will get a story about how you do the right thing you are always rewarded. I shared this on TN ealier and they put it to honorable mention something I didn't even know existed at the time.

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had the same thing happen to me years ago, i was working for a friend and it was my job to crawl under houses and check the structure for weak beams and such, when I went to crawl out I notices something silver that caught my eye! It was two guns laying under there both taken apart, and I assumed they were put there by someone that didn't want any one finding them. I pulled out a pen and got both of them and put them in a cooler from the truck. We called the department and told them about it and the officer said he would send someone out to the house. I THINK I SCREAMED THIS IN THE OFFICERS EAR "HELL NO, WHAT IF THEY FOLLOW ME HOME, SOMEBODY COULD BE WATCHING US!!!!!!!!! So he said to bring them to the station (i'm thinking great there goes my hole day) We took them down there and waited for at least two hours, a officer came out and asked us if we had touched them and I said no but I did crawl over them when I went under the house (not knowing they were there.) We didn't find out what happen with that, but afterwards we looked at each other and said "and they wonder why people don't bring items in" :icon_scratch:

:laughing9: :laughing9: maybe next time I'll just open the door, throw the wallet at them....and run! :laughing7: :laughing7:

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
You did the right thing.

Fake SS card, no hable english....sounds like an illegal immigrant on the run!

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
DFX, AT Pro, Vaquero, Cortes
I once found a purse that was dumped out in a hidden spot on a playground, behind a climbing wall. Well, I called it in and didn't let anyone touch it til the cop arrived. Now, the police station here closes at 6 pm so by the time I found it I had to call the sherriffs dept to contact the local officer. I'll give them points, I only had to wait 15 minutes or so. The cop looks it over, puts the stuff back in the purse, any cash was gone but the credit cards were still there, and asks why I didn't just contact the person it belonged to or put it in the drop box at the station. I told him I was out there detecting alone, no witnesses and I didn't want to be accused of stealing it since I couldn't prove where all I had been that evening. He nodded, laughed, and said that's not a problem since the old chief retired. The new chief has a brain. :laughing9:

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
I am glad that some of the past officers say that the cop shop is changing, I have found this to be true as well,I had thirteen years in.

budrow

Feb 15, 2010
I'd leave it right where you found it and make a call to the local police and have them come pick it up,no prints less hassle. Play dumb :dontknow:

captain ahab

Jan 4, 2005
colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Unfortunate stories to be sure.

There will always be bad people and employees in every profession, but saying all cops are inept, dumb, or out to take advantage of people... wake up. Not sure what you critics do for a living where everyone is perfect... wall street? salesmen? mechanics? You can't name a profession where there aren't people acting badly... but you don't stop investing, buying goods and getting your car fixed just because somebody had a bad experience...

And don't worry - regardless of your criticism, negative comments, and hate - our everyday heroes will still help you when you need it... despite yourselves.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yikes! Those are some painful tales.

All the best,

Lanny

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Now I know who to blame. There's been what, 1/2 dozen "throw it in a mailbox" suggestions? In 25 yrs. of packin the mail I've found 5 or 6 wallets. One in a collection box. They were all owned by kids 12-18 yrs old. Some I gave to my Supervisor when I got back to P.O. One I dropped at Police Station & one I gave to Officer on the street. Have found 2 different license plates I turned in to Police. Never any problem and when I.D. in em the Police got em back to owners (small town 9K Pop.).
If I ever find a bag of cash, I'm taking it strait to the Sheriffs office. If I take it to them, they make their report,hold it 6 months and if no claim is made, I get it back. If I take it to the City Police, they keep it 6 months and if no claim is made, they keep it. Just sayin.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While 'prowling on the river bank', I found a cash register with food stamps & change scattered about, after calling the Sheriffs dept, & guarding the site until they arrived, the cop was very obnoxious & acted like I was wasting his time.
The store owner thanked me for calling it in.
Also found a wallet on the same river earlier on, tracked down the owner who offered me $10.00, declined it.
There are 'good & bad' folks everywhere.

Fossis............

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
Snickers1 said:
Next time take the cash and drop the wallet in a mail box, let the post office deal with it.
To each his own I have had my wallet lifted and I lost my apartment once homeless it is very difficult to get back on track. Not that the mans wallet I found would have damaged him financially in any way but if it isn't yours it is theft.

AtochaFan

Dec 9, 2011
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Different story. I went into the restroom in an airport. I see a wallet balanced on the toilet paper dispenser. Curious and not going anywhere at least for a few seconds, I flipped open the wallet and see a stack of cash. I finish my business and step out asking if anyone had just left a wallet. There were two ladies there at the sink.

One young woman says, "Hey! That's my wallet! Thanks!"

The other young woman says, "Stop lying! That's not your wallet!"

What was I to do? Hand the wallet over to the first woman, or to the second? Neither sounded really upset with the other. I did not feel comfortable riffling through the wallet trying to compare photo ID to two ladies who were about the same height, same coloring, and same build. Rather than try to sort it all out (and with a plane to catch), I made a split second decision and gave it with the second woman. The first one was either telling the truth or telling the lie of a thief, while the second lady was either telling the truth or kidding the first woman.

Just five minutes later I had regrets. I wished I had taken it to the nearest security person and let them all sort it out. It would have taught one or the other of them to not lie. I admit that I had a split second of "Gosh, that's a lot of money that I could keep," but I have had a lifetime of wondering if one of those women was the real owner of the wallet or not.

Razr

Oct 4, 2008
Oregon Dunes
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark, Whites TDI,T2 SE, Tesoro Cortez.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEXT TIME DO YOURSELF A GOOD DEED,LOL.

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You haven't done anything wrong. If they want you to wait or fill out reports, I would leave it on the reception desk, explain you're time as a private citizen is valuable, and walk out.

Or, I'd just leave it outside the front door with a note as to where it was found.

:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread