What's new

Found an 87P AND a 1970D in one roll

jrf30

Bronze Member
Joined
May 7, 2006
Messages
1,896
Reaction score
385
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Piked up $110 in rolls from a teller. She said some man brought them in, so I thought tty might be a dump. But Itake them all anyway, as I never want them to think I want only certainhalves. I am known as the guy that takes ALL halves. This way I get them all, and they don't have to guess about whether to save them for me or not.

Ten rolls were skunks. One though had 9 silvers in it. They were all together, in the middle of the roll. It STILL might have been a dump, and maybe he rolled his silver by mistake. I pulled the silver out, and found 8 - 40% silvers, inlcuding the 1970D (My first!). One of the silvers was a Franklin, which is always nice too. So I was VERY happy with that roll. Then, next to the silver was a 1987P and next to that was a 2005S proof.

Yeah, the more i think about it the more i think someone rolled their keepers by mistake and turned them in with the rejects. It's happened before to some on here. OH well, my gain (this time).

That puts me at 99 - 40% halves for the year. Only one more to make my goal of 100. That should happen soon. :-) And the 1970D is a first, so that is cool, plus it's only about my 3rd 1987, so it was a winner ALL the way around. :-)

Happy Thanksgiving to all on the board. Don't forget to give praise to the one who gave you the blessings you had this past year. :-)
 
Upvote 0
Nice finds! Hang on to those 87's they are a little premium. I am dying to join the 70 club with you guys. Congrats!
 
jrf30,

How many halves do you go through per week?

Ive been doing this for 5 weeks now and Ive already found 116 40% halves.
 
placerman said:
jrf30,

How many halves do you go through per week?

Ive been doing this for 5 weeks now and Ive already found 116 40% halves.

You are in a much better location than I am then for silver. I used to go through boxes, plus pick up loose ones as I could. But the boxes gave me about 1 silver every 5 boxes. Then it went to 1 silver about every 8 boxes. It just wasn't worth it. Loose rolls were still producing okay, but boxes are bad here. It must have something to do with either the way they fill them here (Maybe we get the same ones over and over again) or maybe someone hit this area HARD a while back and took a lot out. But there is no real silver in boxes here. I have had only one box give me more than 3 silvers EVER, in HUNDREDS of boxes. That was 11, which was great, and that was almost 18 months ago. After that though, 3 is my second best box EVER. And I went through 51 skunks in 54 boxes in one streak. That was a tough streak! So I gave up on boxes. I still take all loose halves when they have them, and that has given me the large majority of my finds this year, but I was once working 12 boxes a week and finding 1 - 2 silvers per week for that work. So I moved to pennies. Now I do one box every month, just to see if a new batch comes up with some silver, but I haven't had more than 1 silver in a box for numerous months, and most are skunks. So i stick with the loose ones while I am in a bank picking up pennies and other coins.

You've been at it for 5 weeks and already found 116 silver. Wow. That's great. I wish it were that easy here. But, I'm truly happy for you and your productive area. At least somewhere it is still working. :-) Good job.
 
Man if it was that slow here I don't know if I would even do this.

I was hooked after that first silver coin but I must say it is so much nicer to be averaging almost 1% silver over the past month. If I count the proofs and NIFC coins I find that number is closer to 1.5%.

Yes I think I am in a good area.

There is a CRH'er about 40 miles northwest of me but from what I gather he just does the loose coins and doesn't buy boxes like I do. Ive expanded my "territory" to cover 24 dump banks, and I get my boxes from two different banks now. Ill be adding a third bank to that list in a few weeks hopefully.

Ive checked the banks to the east for 50 miles and no one is doing this there. To the northeast at least 50 miles and no one is doing it there either. I haven't had time to check the banks to the south and west of me yet but I don't think there is anyone there either.

I used to pan for gold a lot and I can tell you the key to finding a lot of gold is VOLUME. It doesn't matter how rich the dirt is if you only do a little everyday, you have to move massive amounts of dirt to make it pay. At least that's my way of thinking. I am going to move massive amounts of halves until things start to dry up here and then I may cut back.

Good luck.

Keep plugging away and thinks will improve.
 
Just curious placerman, what geographic area are you in? If you panned for gold, there are only a few areas you could be.
 
Oops...

I made a mistake...

I said my percentage of silvers, proofs, and NIFC coins was almost 1.5%.

I just checked and it is actually 2.29%.

Ive only been doing it for 5 weeks now so take that with a grain of salt... It may go down now that I said that...lol
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom