What's new

found an arrowhead

gsxraddict

Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2005
Messages
632
Reaction score
413
Golden Thread
0
Location
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this while I was relic hunting today in North FL about 25 miles northwest of Jacksonville.

I haven't even seen this kind of rock out here before.

What can you tell me about it, any idea on the period of it?
photo (3).webp
 
Upvote 0
It looks like a middle archaic stemmed point that has been resharpened a couple times.
Made of what looks like heat treated coastal plains chert.
Probably a Putnam or a Newman and between 3 and 7 thousand years old.
 
Last edited:
Nice point! Hey Gator...what was the purpose of heat-treating stone?
 
It removed residual moisture from the stone making it easier to knapp and even helped it stay sharp longer.
 
thanks Gator...that is cool...it is amazing that they figured this stuff out so long ago....I like the color of that arrowhead.
 
that's great to know.

Do we know who was in North Florida in that time period, that was before the Seminoles.

What would you think the arrowhead would be worth? I'm not selling it, but just curious.
 
The Seminoles were never actually native to Florida..alot of people don't realize that.
They migrated in from the north along with escaped slaves... after most of the original Natives died of European disease or were killed.
The Natiive tribe in your area may have been the Timacua..don't quote me on that since you are in a transitional area.
 
This should help.
These lines changed with time.. but this should give you a general idea.
I won't comment on price.
 
thanks for all your help
 
Thanks for sharing your find.
 
The $ question. You wont be able to retire maybe a fast food sandwich for the value. It would be worth more to you seeing you found it. Im not being mean on it mine arent worth that much in $ but I still like finding them. Its cool picking up something that is thousands of yrs old.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom