Found coin in Jesuit Ruin

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
Detector(s) used
White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I normally search for caches, but I was fooling around in some large ruins from an old Jesuit establishment in Bolivia and found this silver coin. At first I thought it was a small piece of tin and threw it back down, a friend of mine picked it up and realized it had a cross and was hard like silver. I cleaned it a bit (not finished cleaning it yet) and realized it was a coin.

I was using my DFX and an 18" DD coil using a cache program that I have. This was recoverd about 5" deep, no trash in the area, very mineralized zone. I also found a small piece of silver with a clear stone, must have been a piece of jewelry.

Any clues about this coin?

Location : near a small town named San Pedro (Saint Peter) part of the state of Chuquisaca next to the state of Potosi in Bolivia.
Judging by the foundations still visible and the layout on a hill this was a large construction. with separate rooms , a long temple and various stone circles (for plants)

thanks

Gilbert

Attachments

• DSC05609.JPG
    DSC05609.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 834
  • DSC05610.JPG
    DSC05610.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 818
  • DSC05612.JPG
    DSC05612.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 813
  • DSC05615.JPG
    DSC05615.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 824
I'm sure folks here would love to see an even closer photo of the coin, if possible.

I would love to see a photo of the silver jewelry item you found.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

I agree that better pics are needed, but it does have the size and resemblance of a 1/2 reale CAS Potosi mint cob. The CAS monogram is for Charles II.

How much does it weigh? A 1/2 reale silver should be about 1.6g.

Nice find!

Sorry for the delay, just got back from another trip to Bolivia.
Not much time to detect this trip... however did find two crucifixes that were broken (both copper) a small silver ornament and also a miniball.
too much rain this time of year.

have not had a chance to go back to that spot where I found the coin.

The digital cameras that I have are not very good for close up pics.

There is a treasure law that says:

treasure found in someone else's land = 50% land owner 50% finder
treasure found in State land= 50% state 50% finder
the only thing that may cause trouble is digging out old civilization clay pots, mummies etc.

thanks for the info.

G

Thanks. Do you know anything about the laws in Colombia?

G, I visited Bolivia in several occasions and indeed, there is many land treasures, but it is necessary to have much care. Where the gold is the devil is. Give me your private e-mail.
I found documents in Spain about treasures in Bolivia. Do you hear about Arcopongo?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back