Found in The Peace River, what is it ?

Arcadia

Feb 15, 2007
I found this yesterday in the Peace River. I think it is an Alligator Claw, some family members say maybe a Tooth of some kind.
I'd like to get some what more of an expert opinion. Any Help? ???

Thanks fellow hunters,
Brandon

Attachments

• gator tooth.JPG
    gator tooth.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 783
OP
OP
A

Arcadia

Feb 15, 2007
Thanks for looking. Maybe a better photo will help..

Thanks, Arcadia

Attachments

• gator tooth 1.JPG
    gator tooth 1.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 823

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could possibl be early Miocene Florida Rhino Menoceras barbouri, photos below. But it looks more like an alligator claw.

Attachments

• rhinocast6.jpg
    rhinocast6.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,469
  • rhinocast4.jpg
    rhinocast4.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 786
  • rhinocast2%20copy.jpg
    rhinocast2%20copy.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 780
OP
OP
A

Arcadia

Feb 15, 2007
It is hallow inside for the first 1/2 inch. It looks alot like the photo you posted.
It does have, what looks like emamal, chipped off on the narrow end of it.

Thanks, Arcadia

OP
OP
A

Arcadia

Feb 15, 2007
O.k. cool... The whole thing, tooth, is round. So it does make since that it is not a claw. I did wonder if it was a Snaggel Tooth, Bobcat, or BIG Dog of some kind...
I really want to thank you for the help and everyone else.
I am new to fossil hunting and appreciate all the help...

Arcadia

OP
OP
A

Arcadia

Feb 15, 2007
I hope this photo is a little better..

Arcadia

Attachments

• tooth tiger.JPG
    tooth tiger.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 646

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thirty million years ago, Florida was a series of islands. When the polar cap froze again, Florida's land mass extended 40 miles farther into the Gulf of Mexico at Venice. Before the last ice age, Florida was only about 10 miles wide and 100 miles long. The Peace River was under the Gulf. Five million years ago, there were giant white shark swimming here. They were 60 to 80 feet long and fossils from them are found right in the Peace River.
Florida's ancient past, includes nine species of shark, elephants, humpless camels, mastodons, rhinos, cougars, jaguars, sabercats, beaverlike animals that grew to 8 feet, and armadillos the size of small cars.
Some mammoths reached 13 feet at the shoulders, others evolved as dwarfs 3 to 6 feet high.Among more spectacular finds are the fossilized remains of a 20-foot-tall giant ground sloth with a 17-inch claw -- the largest land animal that ever lived in Florida.
Arcadia- Try emailing these guys for an id, i'm sure they can help you out-http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/vertpaleo/fos_id_svc.htm

OP
OP
A

Arcadia

Feb 15, 2007
Yeah, thanks. I will do that and let everyone on here know my results..

Thanks, Arcadia

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Many wild hogs in the area. Maybe its a hog tusk? Hollow at root? I find many hogs teeth/tusks in swamp. Or is it old and fossilized?

Attachments

• hog lower jaw.jpg
    hog lower jaw.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,046
  • hog lower jaw.jpg
    hog lower jaw.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 647
OP
OP
A

Arcadia

Feb 15, 2007
It is hollow at root and is fossilized, but it doesn't quite look like a hogs tooth.
I am no expert tho.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Arcadia said:
It is hollow at root and is fossilized, but it doesn't quite look like a hogs tooth.
I am no expert tho.
Me neither. It does look too straight for hog tusk. Almost like a canine. It could be extinct.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
Among more spectacular finds are the fossilized remains of a 20-foot-tall giant ground sloth with a 17-inch claw -- the largest land animal that ever lived in Florida.

I believe it was only 16 feet fall. I talked to the guy a week or so ago that has the full remains at his home and is piecing it together. He owns an artifact shop downtown, and everything that's in the shop he has found himself. It was pretty impressive indeed!

Bran <><

OP
OP
A

Arcadia

Feb 15, 2007
;D Question solved.... I talked to RON, today and showed him my specimen.. He said it was a very nice WHALE TOOTH.. Witch was good enough for me, it made my day.. I am very happy with my find, as no one could figure out what it was.

Thanks Ron, your a good guy,

Arcadia

OP
OP
A

Arcadia

Feb 15, 2007
I also found today a tooth that is very similer to a human tooth (size wise). Not sure abot that one, either.

Arcadia

OP
OP
A

Arcadia

Feb 15, 2007
Right, that sounds like a good way t thatyit would be in that area....

No .. He didn't say too much about it, but seemed to be excited about it.. He said he had a smaller tooth.. And iot was a very good find.. Made My Day!!!!

I don'tr like to pry, either.

I would like to look in more ares.. I don't driver, so it makes it hard to do so.....
Arcadia

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread