What's new

Found my oldest silver (17??) I think. Need Id.

richm

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2009
Messages
484
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
Location
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug this at a 1740 homestead that they demolished. I wasn't having much luck and decided to try the piles of dirt that were dug up. Also found a matron head L.C. that I"m soaking, picture to come soon. I can see the 17 part of the date but don't recognize the coin?? Looks like T's or 1's on the reverse....... It's about the size of a dime but very thin and holed.......Rich.
 

Attachments

  • 001.webp
    001.webp
    23 KB · Views: 426
  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    16.3 KB · Views: 423
  • 003.webp
    003.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 441
Yep reale, nice find :icon_thumright: It reads Carolus and I think the year is 1767.
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
Yep reale, nice find :icon_thumright: It reads Carolus and I think the year is 1767.


I'd say more likely 1787. (Don't think that style dates in the 60s, and I actually do see what looks like the 8 )
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • coin2.webp
    coin2.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 405
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
Iron Patch said:
IronSpike said:
Yep reale, nice find :icon_thumright: It reads Carolus and I think the year is 1767.


I'd say more likely 1787. (Don't think that style dates in the 60s, and I actually do see what looks like the 8 )

Not much to go on, but we both agree on the 7.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...s+silver+reale&hl=en&rlz=1G1ACGW_ENUS342&um=1


I think you posted that one a little too quick. (Replica) :D It is a beauty though. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
IronSpike said:
Iron Patch said:
IronSpike said:
Yep reale, nice find :icon_thumright: It reads Carolus and I think the year is 1767.


I'd say more likely 1787. (Don't think that style dates in the 60s, and I actually do see what looks like the 8 )

Not much to go on, but we both agree on the 7.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...s+silver+reale&hl=en&rlz=1G1ACGW_ENUS342&um=1


I think you posted that one a little too quick. (Replica) :D


Replica or real still a good pic of what it would look like. On the link the poster appear to correct his 1st reply calling it fake with follow up half reale :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
Iron Patch said:
IronSpike said:
Iron Patch said:
IronSpike said:
Yep reale, nice find :icon_thumright: It reads Carolus and I think the year is 1767.


I'd say more likely 1787. (Don't think that style dates in the 60s, and I actually do see what looks like the 8 )

Not much to go on, but we both agree on the 7.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...s+silver+reale&hl=en&rlz=1G1ACGW_ENUS342&um=1


I think you posted that one a little too quick. (Replica) :D


Replica or real still a good pic of what it would look like. On the link the poster appear to correct his 1st reply calling it fake with follow up half reale :dontknow:


I didn't read the thread but good to see they got it right. (except it's an 8 reale)
 
Upvote 0
You guys are awesome :icon_thumleft: Every time I go on this forum it's a history lesson. I have a question for you guys though. Below is a pic of my find and two pics from google image. Why are they all holed???....Rich.
 

Attachments

  • 003.webp
    003.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 364
  • reale1.webp
    reale1.webp
    10.5 KB · Views: 331
  • HalfRealeA.webp
    HalfRealeA.webp
    3.4 KB · Views: 319
  • 003.webp
    003.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 347
Upvote 0
richm said:
You guys are awesome :icon_thumleft: Every time I go on this forum it's a history lesson. I have a question for you guys though. Below is a pic of my find and two pics from google image. Why are they all holed???....Rich.


There's several reasons coins were holed. A few are... pendants, put on bracelets, sew in clothes to travel with, worn by Indians, nailed to houses... I believe once they were complete and was a way to date them... and the number one reason coins were holed (Drum Roll) JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT! :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
richm said:
You guys are awesome :icon_thumleft: Every time I go on this forum it's a history lesson. I have a question for you guys though. Below is a pic of my find and two pics from google image. Why are they all holed???....Rich.


There's several reasons coins were holed. A few are... pendants, put on bracelets, sew in clothes to travel with, worn by Indians, nailed to houses... I believe once they were complete and was a way to date them... and the number one reason coins were holed (Drum Roll) JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT! :thumbsup:

Never knew nailed to houses :thumbsup: A small silver ring/eye and your pendant is a nice as they come. Nice peace of history :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
Iron Patch said:
richm said:
You guys are awesome :icon_thumleft: Every time I go on this forum it's a history lesson. I have a question for you guys though. Below is a pic of my find and two pics from google image. Why are they all holed???....Rich.


There's several reasons coins were holed. A few are... pendants, put on bracelets, sew in clothes to travel with, worn by Indians, nailed to houses... I believe once they were complete and was a way to date them... and the number one reason coins were holed (Drum Roll) JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT! :thumbsup:

Never knew nailed to houses :thumbsup: A small silver ring/eye and your pendant is a nice as they come. Nice peace of history :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:


I know they did and my post is just what I am able to recall, someone might better be able to explain it, or search for the answer.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
IronSpike said:
Iron Patch said:
richm said:
You guys are awesome :icon_thumleft: Every time I go on this forum it's a history lesson. I have a question for you guys though. Below is a pic of my find and two pics from google image. Why are they all holed???....Rich.


There's several reasons coins were holed. A few are... pendants, put on bracelets, sew in clothes to travel with, worn by Indians, nailed to houses... I believe once they were complete and was a way to date them... and the number one reason coins were holed (Drum Roll) JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT! :thumbsup:

Never knew nailed to houses :thumbsup: A small silver ring/eye and your pendant is a nice as they come. Nice peace of history :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:


I know they did and my post is just what I am able to recall, someone might better be able to explain it, or search for the answer.

I think you covered most of the reasons and the nailed to house makes sense. Kind of like when when coins were placed in house foundations for dating and/or good luck.
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
Iron Patch said:
IronSpike said:
Iron Patch said:
richm said:
You guys are awesome :icon_thumleft: Every time I go on this forum it's a history lesson. I have a question for you guys though. Below is a pic of my find and two pics from google image. Why are they all holed???....Rich.


There's several reasons coins were holed. A few are... pendants, put on bracelets, sew in clothes to travel with, worn by Indians, nailed to houses... I believe once they were complete and was a way to date them... and the number one reason coins were holed (Drum Roll) JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT! :thumbsup:

Never knew nailed to houses :thumbsup: A small silver ring/eye and your pendant is a nice as they come. Nice peace of history :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:


I know they did and my post is just what I am able to recall, someone might better be able to explain it, or search for the answer.

I think you covered most of the reasons and the nailed to house makes sense. Kind of like when when coins were placed in house foundations for dating and/or good luck.

Well if that is the case I think you just answered why they nailed them, just an alternative... probably for places without a foundation.
 
Upvote 0
Interesting about the silver coin being nailed to a wall, which I guess is a rarer occurance. It's pretty common to hear of a penny placed under the window sill, under the hearth, or a penny occasionally nailed to a house. Rich, seriously though (I know you were asking seriously :tongue3:) the odds of your particular coin being nailed are slim for a lot of reasons, some being it appears to have been circulated well after the hole was made, and the placement of the hole itself would more likely be in its center. (Patch, was your's nailed in the center?)
A large percentage of the reales we find are holed, and the prevailing wisdom is that in most cases this is because they were worn; sewed beneath the garments of sailors for one, who had no pockets on their early uniforms.

Yet, who am I to argue with Patch. Considering some of the wierd stuff we dig up, he might be spot on with "JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT!" :D
 
Upvote 0
I agree, no pockets, to keep from losing them. Its the same reason there are holes in chinese cash coins- to string them together.
 

Attachments

  • spanish carolus IIII.webp
    spanish carolus IIII.webp
    11.1 KB · Views: 227
  • spanish carolus IIII.webp
    spanish carolus IIII.webp
    11.1 KB · Views: 231
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
Interesting about the silver coin being nailed to a wall, which I guess is a rarer occurance. It's pretty common to hear of a penny placed under the window sill, under the hearth, or a penny occasionally nailed to a house. Rich, seriously though (I know you were asking seriously :tongue3:) the odds of your particular coin being nailed are slim for a lot of reasons, some being it appears to have been circulated well after the hole was made, and the placement of the hole itself would more likely be in its center. (Patch, was your's nailed in the center?)
A large percentage of the reales we find are holed, and the prevailing wisdom is that in most cases this is because they were worn; sewed beneath the garments of sailors for one, who had no pockets on their early uniforms.

Yet, who am I to argue with Patch. Considering some of the wierd stuff we dig up, he might be spot on with "JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT!" :D

If you read my replies you will not see a suggestion of a real being nailed to anything. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
"I didn't read the thread but good to see they got it right."

Ha! yes IronPatch, I didn't read enough either! :D
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom