What's new

Found My Year Maker for 2016

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I had the whole day off and it was sunny so I decided to walk a creek. I wanted to yak another but the owner just set beaver traps so I went to my usual. I wasnt really looking to find much seeing I hadnt found anything good in a while. I went to a section where a big tree had fallen in January across the creek. The last rain we had caused a big gravel bar to form just below the tree. I was walking and looking and saw something different laying sideways just barley showing nothing but 1 edge. I decided to reach as I have done many times just to throw it away (rocks). As I pulled it from its gravel bed I then saw it was this. Its 4.25 inches long and looks like a Etley or a StilWell. Either way its the biggest flint knife I have ever found. Its my 2016 end of the year last hunt and a really nice find for me.
Happy New Year Everyone! rock
 

Attachments

  • SDC12019.webp
    SDC12019.webp
    658.9 KB · Views: 198
  • SDC12017.webp
    SDC12017.webp
    698.2 KB · Views: 167
  • SDC12021.webp
    SDC12021.webp
    675.3 KB · Views: 199
  • SDC12023.webp
    SDC12023.webp
    513.4 KB · Views: 179
Upvote 0
nice one rock,the flaking does not look like elk river too me though

What would you call it then? I talked to some local collectors and they said the Etley is further west of us here.
 
i thought it looked like a spike,i think they call them flint river spikes in ga.elk rivers have some really neat thin diagonal flakes on them,but i really do not know.
 
Very cool find, Rock!

You found the little point same day?
 
i thought it looked like a spike,i think they call them flint river spikes in ga.elk rivers have some really neat thin diagonal flakes on them,but i really do not know.

I will check it does show archaic flaking on the 1 side which is diagonial the other side shows huge percussion flaking which throws me off. It has a stem on it not sure if spikes do. I know that type of flint would be hard to get a real nice point its a chunky type. Im just glad it was whole.
 
Nice big stemmer Rock! I think you are on the right track in thinking it is related to the Benton Family and the archaic time line. That is a tough one to I.D. but elk river/benton/appalacian would all seem to fit.... maybe the flaking will help you narrow it down? It looks like you will have a good year. Anytime a point that long is found intact its a prize. Water is much kinder than a tractor's disc ,lol.
Happy New Year!
 
Nice big stemmer Rock! I think you are on the right track in thinking it is related to the Benton Family and the archaic time line. That is a tough one to I.D. but elk river/benton/appalacian would all seem to fit.... maybe the flaking will help you narrow it down? It looks like you will have a good year. Anytime a point that long is found intact its a prize. Water is much kinder than a tractor's disc ,lol.
Happy New Year!
Thanks Im thinking more towards Benton as you have said. I did read they are found in Cashes so I will be hitting that section more often in the future. Thanks for the help. rock
 
Got a update on this one. I sent a pic of it to projectile point site and got a reply he said Pickwick.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom