What's new

Found: Native American Bone Bead?

TheCoinKid

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2013
Messages
585
Reaction score
390
Golden Thread
0
Location
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this sifting in a cave (actually a deep three-sided overhang around 6 ft tall, 20 ft wide and 15 ft deep) on family property in Central Texas. The cave is halfway up a small mountain and overlooks a meadow leading to a river. The entrance is completely covered from view by brush/trees. The cave floor is covered with around two feet of fine dust/soot/sand.

A large number of Native American artifacts have been found in the cave and surrounding mountain area over the years. The local history also has it that a lady of ill repute did business out of the cave in the late 1800's. I was told that the cave was completely searched out years ago, but you know nothing is ever completely searched out, right?

In any event, the bone bead? was found along with a tooth and a couple of partial flint points/tools.

Any opinions? Is it what it appears to be?
 

Attachments

  • 20170518_150831.webp
    20170518_150831.webp
    55.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 20170518_150851.webp
    20170518_150851.webp
    63.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 20170518_150859.webp
    20170518_150859.webp
    52.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 20170518_150911.webp
    20170518_150911.webp
    55.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't tell from here what it's made of, but it definitely looks like a bead. Very nice find.
 
It does look like a bead made from a bird bone. I'll post a photo of some that I have so you can compare. Very good find.:occasion14:bone bead.webpbone bead1.webpbone bead2.webpbone bead3.webp
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the pics Monsterrack. Looks to be dead spot on, age/discoloration spots and all.
 
So, is this a fairly common find?
 
So, is this a fairly common find?

I don't think so- first one I've seen posted here. I've certainly not known anyone that has found one. SWEET FIND !
 
So, is this a fairly common find?

Not in my area its not. I havent found one and I have found points .5 inch long and have never seen a bead yet. Id like to find 1 though.
 
It's a cool find, you did good! I haven't found one yet either but they do find them in the dig across town so hoping one or more will turn up in the creek for me.
 
So, is this a fairly common find?

Yes and no, it really depends on what type of site you are hunting. On the Ft Ancient sites I hunt these are fairly common and I have found hundreds of them. Some soils though just don't preserve the Bone and it will deteriorate really quickly.

That looks like a pretty nice and highly polished one.

Here are a few I have.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0054.webp
    DSC_0054.webp
    53.6 KB · Views: 81
KIMG0612.webp
Here are some flat bead's made from I would guess freshwater shell. These and most of the points were found in Ohio near the Kokosing River. I like that bone tube bead, sadly I've never found one.
 
Thanks to all.

BTW, you guys have found some nice stuff.
 
It wouldn't last for long in the dirt in these parts. Would like to see pictures of the bore if that's doable.
 
I'll post a closeup of the bore when I get back into town later this week.
 
It wouldn't last for long in the dirt in these parts. Would like to see pictures of the bore if that's doable.

Here's a couple of shots.
 

Attachments

  • 20170526_175743 (2).webp
    20170526_175743 (2).webp
    67.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 20170526_175821 (4).webp
    20170526_175821 (4).webp
    63 KB · Views: 84
  • 20170526_175728 (2).webp
    20170526_175728 (2).webp
    71.3 KB · Views: 84

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom