What's new

Found near an old home site

incajoe

Sr. Member
Joined
May 17, 2007
Messages
387
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
This was nailed to a tree at about the 7 foot level (has since fallen down) and was at the opening of a 3 sided small stone foundation that looked like a shed or possibly an animal pen. It's bigger than a horseshoe just to give you some idea of scale. Any ideas?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3201.webp
    IMG_3201.webp
    113.2 KB · Views: 827
This house site was abandoned before the age of the automobile I believe. Plus, why would it be bolted to a tree 7 feet up?
 
Upvote 0
After looking at it more I think Im wrong about bracket to much curve and has square nuts.
 
Upvote 0
Are there any calibrations on it?
 
Upvote 0
It looks to me like it rotates and the one bolt slides in that long groove. Like maybe a gate latch of some sort? But why so high up? The tree it was on is still standing up to the 5 foot level, above that has broken off and is laying on the ground. This was bolted to the piece that is on the ground so that's how I know how high it was....weird.
 
Upvote 0
DCMatt said:
aaaaaaa said:
incajoe said:
Plus, why would it be bolted to a tree 7 feet up?

Strange.. :icon_scratch:

The tree was not always that tall...

DCMatt
As you can see by the diameter of the tree, it wasn't a very big tree. Hard to imagine that it grew enough from the time it was bolted on (It's nearly as wide as the tree) to when it died to migrate several feet up.
 
Upvote 0
This house site was abandoned before the age of the automobile I believe.

As you can see by the diameter of the tree, it wasn't a very big tree.

:icon_scratch:

When was/is "the age of the automobile"? I don't know much about trees but this one doesn't look very old... I have a 25 - 30 year old oak tree in my yard that is bigger.

Were other relics found at the site? If so, what?

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
DCMatt said:
This house site was abandoned before the age of the automobile I believe.

As you can see by the diameter of the tree, it wasn't a very big tree.

:icon_scratch:

When was/is "the age of the automobile"? I don't know much about trees but this one doesn't look very old... I have a 25 - 30 year old oak tree in my yard that is bigger.

Were other relics found at the site? If so, what?

DCMatt

The home site gave up a 1723 copper, flat buttons.....the only thing I found that was later was a suspender clip with an early bicycle on it that probably dates to the late 1800's or very early 1900's. But I found nothing else that late around this home so it may have been dropped there at a later time by a hunter something. The house appears on an 1850's map so know it was around at that time but I think it was abandoned within the next 50 years...probably more like 10 or 20.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
it is slide bracket adjuster. PS no matter where it was nailed to the tree its not going any higher as the tree growed .if the tree had lived longer it would have growed over it it will aways stay in the same place unless someone pulls it off.
 
Upvote 0
highlander said:
PS no matter where it was nailed to the tree its not going any higher as the tree growed .
I heard that. :icon_thumright: I branch on the tree will always be the same height because a tree grows from the top. The tree may have stood dead for a while. Is it grown over the bolts in the back?
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
highlander said:
PS no matter where it was nailed to the tree its not going any higher as the tree growed .
I heard that. :icon_thumright: I branch on the tree will always be the same height because a tree grows from the top. The tree may have stood dead for a while. Is it grown over the bolts in the back?

Couldn't tell because the log it is bolted to is actually sitting in a shallow flooded area. I had to lean way over holding a nearby branch to get the pic. You can see the leaves around it in the picture are floating in water if you look closely.
 
Upvote 0
Hi, I Have a Question for you 1. did you cheak under the tree ? 2. how do you know it was from a 7 Foot tree ? and 3. it may be a marker .
 
Upvote 0
The belt tightener idea wasn't bad. I have a similar piece on my '56 Ford 640 tractor that controls the stroke (lift/depth) of the hydraulics when lifting the hitch. The upper bolt in the slot is adjusted at the max point so you don't bend the lift arms. With the square nut maybe from a '30's or '40's tractor?

Why in a tree? Can't say. Locally there is a saw, sythe and assorted hardware that was placed there and never returned for.
 
Upvote 0
coin finder said:
Hi, I Have a Question for you 1. did you cheak under the tree ? 2. how do you know it was from a 7 Foot tree ? and 3. it may be a marker .

The tree (although dead) is still partially standing. There is about 5 feet of it still upright and right beneath it was this log which was the same diameter and had obviously broken off and fallen to the ground with the metal still attached. That's how I knew how high it had been placed on the tree.
I didn't check under the tree because it was in the water due to a lot of rain we have had lately. Normally this area would be dry.
 
Upvote 0
DCMatt said:
aaaaaaa said:
incajoe said:
Plus, why would it be bolted to a tree 7 feet up?

Strange.. :icon_scratch:

The tree was not always that tall...

DCMatt

Trees don't get taller from the trunk, but from the top. I've seen blazes on 5 foot oaks put there in 1832 at the same height they were originally.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom