What's new

found old gun not sure what it is

bdb

Tenderfoot
Joined
Feb 2, 2010
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
me and my son found this it is a foot long looks to be 22 size cal it looks to say J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co Chicopee Falls, MA 14 1/2 ok thank all of you .i have took it apart.i would have liked to keep as it did not work but it is what it is.thanks to all.
 

Attachments

  • mas 004.webp
    mas 004.webp
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,296
  • mas 005.webp
    mas 005.webp
    27.6 KB · Views: 2,219
  • mas 006.webp
    mas 006.webp
    49 KB · Views: 2,184
  • mas 007.webp
    mas 007.webp
    21.7 KB · Views: 2,224
  • mas 008.webp
    mas 008.webp
    20.1 KB · Views: 2,152
  • mas 009.webp
    mas 009.webp
    40 KB · Views: 2,127
weed is not legal to the feds, the fact that they don't lock every pothead who opened a "weed dispensary" in Kalifornia doesn't mean that the federal law doesn't trump state law. Sorry Bigcy, not trying to belittle you, but this isn't something that one needs to confer with a constitutional law attorney about. I learned about it in civics class in high school. Either way, it's a cool find.

John
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
DigginThePast said:
bigcypresshunter said:
DigginThePast said:
I'll go check it out. It'll be very interesting if Wyoming law supercedes Federal law.
You said it yourself Digg. Dont make it look as if Im a fool for asking.

??? What did I say?
Sorry. I didnt mean you in particular. I was more referring to the cocaine and missle post. Thanks for the link. I respect the member that produces a link to support their opinions. Ill study it.

Gotcha.

As for a specific statue number I don't think you will get that. It has more to with the Constitution and subsequent rulings by the courts when a State law tried to override a Federal law.
 
Upvote 0
blurr said:
weed is not legal to the feds, the fact that they don't lock every pothead who opened a "weed dispensary" in Kalifornia doesn't mean that the federal law doesn't trump state law. Sorry Bigcy, not trying to belittle you, but this isn't something that one needs to confer with a constitutional law attorney about. I learned about it in civics class in high school. Either way, it's a cool find.

John
Sorry John. Its cool. You were just trying to make a point. Im kinda in a rush but I think I understand. Federal law always trumps State Law. In the case of Marijuana it is legal in some states but the Feds can still arrest you. It may be legal in Wyoming(maybe not :dontknow:) but the Feds can still arrrest. I will have to search for a link later. I heard the gun laws in Wyoming are very lax.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
blurr said:
weed is not legal to the feds, the fact that they don't lock every pothead who opened a "weed dispensary" in Kalifornia doesn't mean that the federal law doesn't trump state law. Sorry Bigcy, not trying to belittle you, but this isn't something that one needs to confer with a constitutional law attorney about. I learned about it in civics class in high school. Either way, it's a cool find.

John
Sorry John. Its cool. You were just trying to make a point. Im kinda in a rush but I think I understand. Federal law always trumps State Law. In the case of Marijuana it is legal in some states but the Feds can still arrest you. It may be legal in Wyoming(maybe not :dontknow:) but the Feds can still arrrest. I will have to search for a link later. I heard the gun laws in Wyoming are very lax.


From what I understand, everything is pretty lax in Wyoming!!!

John
 
Upvote 0
DigginThePast said:
bigcypresshunter said:
blurr said:
Monty is right, it would be classified as an illegal gun. And in every state, including Wyoming Bigcy.John
Its probably true but I would like to see a link that states that this particular Federal Law overrides the State of Wyoming law. Im not saying you are wrong but its easy to post opinions a little more work to post supporting evidence. I would just like to read the law to be sure.

State law can not supercede Federal law. It falls under the "Supremacy Clause", U.S. Constitution article VI, Paragraph 2. In respect to this thread, without the NFA the States could have as tight or as loose of laws as they wish. But with the enactment of the NFA all States must be at least that restrictive. With that said, is the NFA Constitutional?

"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding."

http://www.constitution.org/constit_.htm

It just did in Calif. with the dredging ban :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
DigginThePast said:
bigcypresshunter said:
blurr said:
Monty is right, it would be classified as an illegal gun. And in every state, including Wyoming Bigcy.John
Its probably true but I would like to see a link that states that this particular Federal Law overrides the State of Wyoming law. Im not saying you are wrong but its easy to post opinions a little more work to post supporting evidence. I would just like to read the law to be sure.

State law can not supercede Federal law. It falls under the "Supremacy Clause", U.S. Constitution article VI, Paragraph 2. In respect to this thread, without the NFA the States could have as tight or as loose of laws as they wish. But with the enactment of the NFA all States must be at least that restrictive. With that said, is the NFA Constitutional?

"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding."

http://www.constitution.org/constit_.htm

It just did in Calif. with the dredging ban :thumbsup:


Nope, states can make laws that are more restrictive than federal law. It happens all the time.

John
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
DigginThePast said:
bigcypresshunter said:
blurr said:
Monty is right, it would be classified as an illegal gun. And in every state, including Wyoming Bigcy.John
Its probably true but I would like to see a link that states that this particular Federal Law overrides the State of Wyoming law. Im not saying you are wrong but its easy to post opinions a little more work to post supporting evidence. I would just like to read the law to be sure.

State law can not supercede Federal law. It falls under the "Supremacy Clause", U.S. Constitution article VI, Paragraph 2. In respect to this thread, without the NFA the States could have as tight or as loose of laws as they wish. But with the enactment of the NFA all States must be at least that restrictive. With that said, is the NFA Constitutional?

"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding."

http://www.constitution.org/constit_.htm

It just did in Calif. with the dredging ban :thumbsup:

True. As I understand it, the ban on mining was supposed to be temporary. Has this made permanent yet?

Honestly I'm surprised that the Feds have not yet told them to lift the ban or head to court. Must be more to the story huh?
 
Upvote 0
blurr said:
kuger said:
DigginThePast said:
bigcypresshunter said:
blurr said:
Monty is right, it would be classified as an illegal gun. And in every state, including Wyoming Bigcy.John
Its probably true but I would like to see a link that states that this particular Federal Law overrides the State of Wyoming law. Im not saying you are wrong but its easy to post opinions a little more work to post supporting evidence. I would just like to read the law to be sure.

State law can not supercede Federal law. It falls under the "Supremacy Clause", U.S. Constitution article VI, Paragraph 2. In respect to this thread, without the NFA the States could have as tight or as loose of laws as they wish. But with the enactment of the NFA all States must be at least that restrictive. With that said, is the NFA Constitutional?

"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding."

http://www.constitution.org/constit_.htm

It just did in Calif. with the dredging ban :thumbsup:


Nope, states can make laws that are more restrictive than federal law. It happens all the time.

John

John - I assume what Kuger is referring to is the "General Mining Act of 1872". In a nutshell it is a Federal law that allows any citizen over the age of 18 to mine for certain minerals on public lands. What California has done is contrary to that law, not to build upon it.
 
Upvote 0
Yea,it is supposed to be until an EIR has been done......which many have been done in the past(the enviro's didnt get the answer they wanted)but they have put holds on the funding for the study,not allowed a dredge to be used in the study :icon_scratch:and so on.It will be in court but you and I both know how long that will be.The latest was the epiphany that hey!"A state law can not take away a federal right!"DUH!...They did!!As far as it being law,as for now(it took effect immediately upon sighing)there are people being cited and equipt. confiscated.
 
Upvote 0
DigginThePast said:
blurr said:
kuger said:
DigginThePast said:
bigcypresshunter said:
blurr said:
Monty is right, it would be classified as an illegal gun. And in every state, including Wyoming Bigcy.John
Its probably true but I would like to see a link that states that this particular Federal Law overrides the State of Wyoming law. Im not saying you are wrong but its easy to post opinions a little more work to post supporting evidence. I would just like to read the law to be sure.

State law can not supercede Federal law. It falls under the "Supremacy Clause", U.S. Constitution article VI, Paragraph 2. In respect to this thread, without the NFA the States could have as tight or as loose of laws as they wish. But with the enactment of the NFA all States must be at least that restrictive. With that said, is the NFA Constitutional?

"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding."

http://www.constitution.org/constit_.htm

It just did in Calif. with the dredging ban :thumbsup:


Nope, states can make laws that are more restrictive than federal law. It happens all the time.

John

John - I assume what Kuger is referring to is the "General Mining Act of 1872". In a nutshell it is a Federal law that allows any citizen over the age of 18 to mine for certain minerals on public lands. What California has done is contrary to that law, not to build upon it.

Exactly,thank you :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
If it were me, I would stop by the local sheriff's office and tell them the story about finding it and where and ask him/her that you had planned to keep it unless there is some problem with it. I would definitely see if the firing pin is intact and if so would remove that for sure.

IMHO ::)
 
Upvote 0
you people are nuts! Start a thread on gun laws. Frame this gun on the wall and don't worry about it. BIG BROTHER is not looking over everybody's shoulder, only mine. OOPS
 
Upvote 0
Bdb, I do apologize for the additional "1/2"". I should have grabbed my copy of the NFA regs before posting. The limit on rifles is 16" with an overall length of 26 inches ("US Code, TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 921 > a > 8"). No intention to misinform just a mistake.

Pax Christi
Rev. Joel+
 
Upvote 0
I don't think it would be an illegal gun in Wyoming.

Laws for Wyoming:


State Requirements
Rifles and Shotguns
•Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No.

•Registration of rifles and shotguns? No.

•Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No.

•Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No

Handguns

•Permit to purchase handgun? No.

•Registration of handguns? No.

•Licensing of owners of handguns? No.

•Permit to carry handguns? No.

Other Requirements

•Is there a State waiting period? No.

•Is there a FBI *NICS check for firearm transactions? Yes

•Permit to carry a concealed weapon required? Yes.

•Record of sale: Yes.
*NICS - National Instant Check System



Heck, in Wyoming, you can even carry a loaded gun in your truck or car, as long as it isn't hidden, and, if you get stopped for something, you have to tell the police you have a loaded gun in your vehicle. (this actually happened to me, so I know its true).

B
 
Upvote 0
it is not a rolling block rifle it is a single shot rifle made by stevens fire arms the company has had several names behind the stevens name from cannon works ,to cycle works, tool and die works ,it was made well before 1964 keep it in the gun cabinet and zip tye it shut and go about your mding
 
Upvote 0
mrs.oroblanco said:
I don't think it would be an illegal gun in Wyoming.
Thanks for posting some of the gun laws in Wyoming, Mrs. O. I tried to say that but got shut down. Although we are correct that its legal in Wyoming, technically a Federal agent could arrest you because Federal law trumps state law. However, if I was in Wyoming, Idaho or any of the other legal states, I would not be too concerned. I know we will hear backlash on this. ::)

Like I said earlier, I had a sawed off shotgun as short as this in my backseat. The police officer looked at it and tossed it back in my car. But I suppose an overzealous Federal agent in Wyoming would have the legal power to arrest you, if he so desired to overide existing state laws..

Thanks for taking the time to look up the gun laws in Wyoming and I know some other states are similar. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
1. i really don't care one way or the other. i would make up my own mind about my own find as you should and will. but...it's great finding things and having the memory.
2. don't forget when you show your find to friends they will have their finger prints on the gun.
3. consider sharing pictures and tell your friends how and where it was found.
4. turn it in, tell your story one more time. (keep the pictures!) it serves no purpose as it is.
5. turning it in may result in a much better story.
6. or -- jokingly i say this -- wipe the prints off. throw it away where it can be found by someone likely to report it to the news. anyway, when it becomes a news story. make a scrap book of all the news clips and get copies of all the tv news reports. if it makes one of the tabloids so much the better.
7. or put it next to jimmy hoffa's body.
8. none of my ideas are intended to pick sides. mostly an ill attempt at humor.
9. i'm trying to imagine what i 'would' keep in my house if found and known to be illegal? that's where we all differ. it's like the stock market -- each of us has our own comfort level with risk. in this case, considering the condition....
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Silver Searcher said:
:o

Shouldn't that be handed in? unusuall find :thumbsup:

SS
I would keep it. If it was a shotgun, it would be illegal in most states to saw it off that short. I never saw a sawed off rifle until now... I dont understand the purpose. :icon_scratch: Cool find.

Here is a discussion on the purpose of sawed off shotguns. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070613044320AAszdDU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawed-off_shotgun

frequently in the old days a rifle with a burst barrel would be sawed off so that it could still be used. Occasionally a new one would be sawed off and kept behind a bar for dual use as a rifle and as a drunk remover billy club. Stevens were independant in the early days then were makers of the Montgomery Ward store brands. They eventually were bought or merged with Western. siegfried schlagrule
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom