Found one I missed at the dump bank today...

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
I went to one of my dump banks today and as I was loading the halves into the counter I noticed a strange coin that just stuck out from the rest.

I had already dumped it in the hopper when I saw it and quickly fished it out before it disappeared... a 1999 S Proof half.

I had missed it when I went through my boxes yesterday because I normally just look at the edges and not the dates and this was a clad coin. I found a 1981 S Proof Half yesterday only because it was on the end and stuck out...

From now on I am going to start looking at the dates after I go through it looking at the edges.

Updated totals from yesterday.

3 90% Kens
6 40% Kens (including a 1967 SMS)
1 1981 S Proof
1 1999 S Proof

Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always look at dates. I have seen silver that looks like clad and would be missed. Glad you found the proof before it was too late. Only thing I ever rim search is dimes, just because I have a hard time seeing the date. I am sure I miss a few though.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
AGCoinHunter said:
Always look at dates. I have seen silver that looks like clad and would be missed. Glad you found the proof before it was too late. Only thing I ever rim search is dimes, just because I have a hard time seeing the date. I am sure I miss a few though.

Yeah, but if you're confident you use a coin counter that rejects silver. it will be spit back out in the reject tray. Than you can retrieve it.

I've had that happen a couple of times with dimes.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
AGCoinHunter said:
That is one of my problems with Dimes too, need magnifying glass to see'em dates, which makes them too much trouble to mess with though some of these finds am reading about are testing- tempting me for sure.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thurmownator said:
AGCoinHunter said:

Yeah, but if you're confident you use a coin counter that rejects silver. it will be spit back out in the reject tray. Than you can retrieve it.

I've had that happen a couple of times with dimes.

Never had that happen so either I am good at getting all the silver or the silver doesnt reject. I am thinking it doesnt reject it.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all coin counters are set to reject silver.

Have you tried the "sound" method for dimes?

I dump a bag on my desk and slide them off into my hand a few at a time. The sound of a silver dime striking the clad is very distinctive. That is how I pick up the ones that I don't see first. No worries about looking at the date or the rims. Also, my dimes come straight from the counter so no worries about messing with rolled coins. I'm recovered over 800 silver dimes for the year ::)

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
waseeker said:
Not all coin counters are set to reject silver.

Have you tried the "sound" method for dimes?

I dump a bag on my desk and slide them off into my hand a few at a time. The sound of a silver dime striking the clad is very distinctive. That is how I pick up the ones that I don't see first. No worries about looking at the date or the rims. Also, my dimes come straight from the counter so no worries about messing with rolled coins. I'm recovered over 800 silver dimes for the year ::)

Thanks for that tidbit of info. I am going to try that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions