What's new

Found one I missed at the dump bank today...

placerman

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Messages
286
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
I went to one of my dump banks today and as I was loading the halves into the counter I noticed a strange coin that just stuck out from the rest.

I had already dumped it in the hopper when I saw it and quickly fished it out before it disappeared... a 1999 S Proof half.

I had missed it when I went through my boxes yesterday because I normally just look at the edges and not the dates and this was a clad coin. I found a 1981 S Proof Half yesterday only because it was on the end and stuck out...

From now on I am going to start looking at the dates after I go through it looking at the edges.

Updated totals from yesterday.

3 90% Kens
6 40% Kens (including a 1967 SMS)
1 1981 S Proof
1 1999 S Proof
 
Upvote 0
Always look at dates. I have seen silver that looks like clad and would be missed. Glad you found the proof before it was too late. Only thing I ever rim search is dimes, just because I have a hard time seeing the date. I am sure I miss a few though.
 
AGCoinHunter said:
Always look at dates. I have seen silver that looks like clad and would be missed. Glad you found the proof before it was too late. Only thing I ever rim search is dimes, just because I have a hard time seeing the date. I am sure I miss a few though.

Yeah, but if you're confident you use a coin counter that rejects silver. it will be spit back out in the reject tray. Than you can retrieve it.

I've had that happen a couple of times with dimes.
 
AGCoinHunter said:
Always look at dates. I have seen silver that looks like clad and would be missed. Glad you found the proof before it was too late. Only thing I ever rim search is dimes, just because I have a hard time seeing the date. I am sure I miss a few though.
That is one of my problems with Dimes too, need magnifying glass to see'em dates, which makes them too much trouble to mess with though some of these finds am reading about are testing- tempting me for sure.
 
thurmownator said:
AGCoinHunter said:
Always look at dates. I have seen silver that looks like clad and would be missed. Glad you found the proof before it was too late. Only thing I ever rim search is dimes, just because I have a hard time seeing the date. I am sure I miss a few though.

Yeah, but if you're confident you use a coin counter that rejects silver. it will be spit back out in the reject tray. Than you can retrieve it.

I've had that happen a couple of times with dimes.

Never had that happen so either I am good at getting all the silver or the silver doesnt reject. I am thinking it doesnt reject it.
 
Not all coin counters are set to reject silver.

Have you tried the "sound" method for dimes?

I dump a bag on my desk and slide them off into my hand a few at a time. The sound of a silver dime striking the clad is very distinctive. That is how I pick up the ones that I don't see first. No worries about looking at the date or the rims. Also, my dimes come straight from the counter so no worries about messing with rolled coins. I'm recovered over 800 silver dimes for the year ::)
 
waseeker said:
Not all coin counters are set to reject silver.

Have you tried the "sound" method for dimes?

I dump a bag on my desk and slide them off into my hand a few at a time. The sound of a silver dime striking the clad is very distinctive. That is how I pick up the ones that I don't see first. No worries about looking at the date or the rims. Also, my dimes come straight from the counter so no worries about messing with rolled coins. I'm recovered over 800 silver dimes for the year ::)

Thanks for that tidbit of info. I am going to try that.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom