Found some old Mines

BrisJoe

Dec 30, 2012
Brisbane
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, Whites Goldmaster, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I'll update this thread with progress picts as i do more work at the sites.
The mines are located in state reserves behind Brisbane Aust.

Basically i discovered several old mines in the bushland out the back of my mums suburb in the hills, and recently after getting preoccupied with this site and the lust for adventure to get back out there exploring and such again, I went back out to 1 of the sites today to grab a few quick snaps.

I was looking for 1 of the mines that i know of that was just off the fire trails, but alas I didn't have enough time to keep looking for it, so i headed back up the hill to the fire trail to another mine in the area I know of that was much easier to find, I had just enough time to run in grab a few photo of it, I left my torch in the car so couln't get a good look deep inside it, but it looks like it has water in the bottom. This mine goes straight down on a ~45' angle, the other mine I was looking for goes straight into the side of the mountain, and has several off shafts in it, the 1 that goes down deeper had water in it the lkast time i was inside it about 7yrs ago.

From my research i believe these mines were for tin.
But next time I go back(hopefully tomorrow so i can invest the whole day there) i will be taking a few tools with me, detector, torch, camera etc and taking a good look around looking for any signs of quartz/gold seems as well as any markers on the surrounds trees that could signal any hidden stashes in the area, fingers crossed.
There are only trees in the surrounding areas, and I'm not sure if most of them would be old enough to go back to the time of the diggins there, but I'll keep a close eye out.

Question, typically(either in the US or Aust here) if there were going to be markers or signs for a hidden cache form the workers of that mine, what sort of distance from the mine would they leave a clue? or would they put it close to the enterance the Alpha marker?

Also any comments on the soil type or any other clues as to what I might yield with the detector
I'll post some more picts then these when I get some more over the next couple of days...

The first photo with the council sign on it shows that this mine isn't exactly hidden, but the others that I know of close by are well hidden, and thus only a very few handful of locals know about them. Even only the locals(besides council) even know that you can bush walk through this area, so it really is pretty much undisturbed, except they odd people I have encountered riding horses through here.

Attachments

• 2013_01030077.JPG
    2013_01030077.JPG
    641.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 2013_01030083.JPG
    2013_01030083.JPG
    287.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 2013_01030078.JPG
    2013_01030078.JPG
    445.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 2013_01030079.JPG
    2013_01030079.JPG
    579.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 2013_01030080.JPG
    2013_01030080.JPG
    292.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 2013_01030081.JPG
    2013_01030081.JPG
    229.7 KB · Views: 92
If mods wish to move this thread to a more appropiate section, please PM me where it is so i can keep track of it Thanks.

I think it is just where it needs to be, have you looked around for a windrose, monument's in the area, other carvings that form a patern including drill holes, Good post Thanks

Last edited:
Nopthing yet, I planned to get back tere and survey the whole site but it seems it wasn't to be. I have set aside tomorrow to do it, as it's also the last day of my xmas holidays I really want to get back there and find my other missing mine as well and survey that

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back