old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this eroding out of an arroyo washout due to all the rain we are getting. At first I just thought that it was a regular vertebra but after cleaning it off I could not believe what I was seeing. I told my wife that I think that we have something pretty special, don't you think. After doing a little research I am pretty sure it's a ''Stott's Point. From what I gather Stott's point are associated with the buffalo hunters from the Alberta Canada area down into Montana and the Dakota's.

photo's #a 009.JPG photo's #a 008.JPG

photo's #a 007.JPG

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest that posters read the rules before questioning the integrity or authenticity of Old Diggers find. When I first saw it it reminded me of an archeological report on an excavation where they uncovered a man that had an stone projectile in his head. The bone had grown around the point and he lived for quiet a long time with this projectile point sticking out of his skull.(true story)
This is a rare find for us and him (Old Digger) but these are well documented in bison bones. Nice banner is sure got voted up quick! Its already Banner and its still getting votes.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a former archaeologist that specialized in prehistoric Indians, if I had to give a go/no go authentication based on the 3 photos, I'd say it's authentic. The entry area is clean, and you'd never be able to duplicate that on old bone to the point of what this looks like. I've been a member of this forum for quite sometime and I don't see forgers on here and the odds of someone salting private property is pretty low. It would take a lot of work to get the results pictured, and then to haphazardly drop it off somewhere on private property...come on!

Living bone is MUCH different than that of bone that is hundreds or thousands of years old. The velocity of the point entering played a part in the point staying intact along with, again, it being living tissue, so it would have encountered a soft marrow as well as it penetrated. If an atlatl was used, that point had a lot of velocity behind it, giving it even more credence to the clean nature of the entry and the point staying intact. In my opinion it would be a fluke if this were not genuine, based on the photos and back story.

We have several Archeologist on this forum and we always appreciate the knowledge that they bring to the table.

cerebus

Oct 9, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Etrac CTX
That is the coolest thing I have ever seen found!

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wanted to thank you all for your comments! Thanks!

I also want to add that this artifact has been out there for many years. It also was washed down from a kill site and covered up with soil, eventually being recently eroded back out and being exposed. There has to be some deterioration that has occurred to it through the tears. I am still in awe and thankful in finding it. Some of you out there know how it is when your out hunting a certain area, you can be out there and go back a day or two later after a rain and find an artifact where a day ago there wasn't anything. Thanks for looking.

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 + SDC2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
this find you can only beat with a dinosaur skull having a buck knife stick in it :notworthy:
this is a once in a lifetime find....congrats

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow gotta know what it is or was

reddirtwillie

Jan 4, 2013
Mo
Detector(s) used
AT Pro / Whites Eagle II SL - Wilson/lesche/garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the coolest find I have seen in here.

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It needs to be preserved with a few coats of Butvar 76.

Thanks, Old Digger, for sharing your awesome find, and congrats on the banner designation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread