old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this eroding out of an arroyo washout due to all the rain we are getting. At first I just thought that it was a regular vertebra but after cleaning it off I could not believe what I was seeing. I told my wife that I think that we have something pretty special, don't you think. After doing a little research I am pretty sure it's a ''Stott's Point. From what I gather Stott's point are associated with the buffalo hunters from the Alberta Canada area down into Montana and the Dakota's.

photo's #a 009.JPG photo's #a 008.JPG

photo's #a 007.JPG

Upvote 0

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Humbling to realize how little time has actually passed on this planet between when man was still hunting beasts with stone tipped arrows until now. The stone is still in the bone as if the hunt had just ended. Very fascinating. A great museum display.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Greeneman215: Does there have to be a conspiracy theory here about this incredible, once-in-a-lifetime find?

Can't the finder just be allowed to enjoy that he found such a unique piece?

I imagine that skepticism has its place, but I don't see how it's relevant for such a great banner find as this. Why not let the finder just enjoy his moment without raining on the parade.

Perhaps start another thread about how to fake such finds if that's such a driving interest.

All the best,

Lanny

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If OD says he found it where he did, then that's the way it
happened, and he has no responsibility to prove anything
to anyone.

JMHO, of course... moose.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

MosesOfTheSouth

Apr 4, 2014
in my mind/wilds of,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old digger. thank you so much for sharing. i'm w/ lanny in AB and scotto. i keep 99.9 % of the things i find to myself. seeing a find like that keeps me personally motivated, which is why i come here. i'm hoping to find one of those lovelock cave, double molar-ed, fully dreaded, nephilim skulls. don't know that it will ever happen, but i tip my hat to you three times because twice is not enough. i hope all the haters have farts lie to them in the next few weeks.

ps. a lying fart means you crapped your pants. cause it said it was a fart but then ... you crapped your pants.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Old digger:

Quite the exceptional find!
Definitely a keeper...

Not sure how deliberate such a shot would be , vs simply hitting high trying for a double lung and worse case having to bust a rib or two..
But....I was not there. And no idea how many projectiles were involved.
A spinal cord was involved though. And no sign of later healing...Not that any was expected.

Some one made meat with that projectile. And after all this time , we know about it too.

(Only mentioning potential healed area due to rambling mostly ,and having seen a steel broadhead that did not touch the spinal cord and had some bone grown over it. A sporting goods shop had part of the spine on display.)

Thank you for sharing your recovery.
Showing it to the hunter that put it there would likely garner a smile and a nod...Then the story.

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything that can be manufactured for profit will be manufactured and sold at a profit.

This relic deserves it's banner status....if it is authentic.

geo

The one thing that I don't understand is that it is not authentic unless it is sent off to be ''authenticated''. I found this item out on a piece of property not in a tourist shop. I leave the tourist fakes to the tourists. I enjoy the experiences of getting out and looking for real artifacts, and why would I subject myself to try and mislead anyone into creating a lie. If I was really looking to make $ why would I already turn down an offer. I don't want to sell it. For one reason it is a highlight and memory that I will always cherish while hunting with my wife. Like the first time that my wife found here first point, there is just certain things that you don't want to forget.
I guess then that every poster on this forum (No names singled out) we should all be skeptical and doubt that their amazing and rare find is not authentic. I have gotten to the point that what is the point sharing an interesting find with all the bias.

So be it!

Last edited:

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
The one thing that I don't understand is that it is not authentic unless it is sent off to be ''authenticated''. I found this item out on a piece of property not in a tourist shop. I leave the tourist fakes to the tourists. I enjoy the experiences of getting out and looking for real artifacts, and why would I subject myself to try and mislead anyone into creating a lie. If I was really looking to make $ why would I already turn down an offer. I don't want to sell it. For one reason it is a highlight and memory that I will always cherish while hunting with my wife. Like the first time that my wife found here first point, there is just certain things that you don't want to forget.
I guess then that every poster on this forum (No names singled out) we should all be skeptical and doubt that their amazing and rare find is not authentic. I have gotten to the point that what is the point sharing an interesting find with all the bias.

So be it!

Old Digger,
The thing that struck me most about this post is the wave of strong support for you that poured in so quickly. And, the immediate defense and indignation your peers rang out -responding to any hint of doubt about your integrity and good reputation on this forum.

Team Digger is in good company here.

I think the find is so extraordinary that it should be authenticated and documented. I for one would like to see it shielded from any doubt and the point and the bone typed and dated. The location and historical significance should too be recorded.

All of this is possible because of the uniqueness of your find.

Scrutiny and skepticism are not the enemy of science.

Keep on posting!!!!!!

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's just a crazy cool find ! What a nice display piece that will make. I'm voting banner also.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a super awesome find!!!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure how deliberate such a shot would be , vs simply hitting high trying for a double lung and worse case having to bust a rib or two..
But....I was not there. And no idea how many projectiles were involved.
A spinal cord was involved though. And no sign of later healing...Not that any was expected.
Some one made meat with that projectile. And after all this time , we know about it too.
(Only mentioning potential healed area due to rambling mostly ,and having seen a steel broadhead that did not touch the spinal cord and had some bone grown over it. A sporting goods shop had part of the spine on display.)

Got to thinking about that myself, and decided that it was likely
a shot taken from horseback. In that case, someone on horseback
would either be looking down, or parallel to the buffalo's spine.

Experience may have taught them that a shot in the spine will
drop the animal, and then they can finish the kill. Buffalo are
massive creatures, and as long as that buffalo is still on it's feet
it's a serious danger to anything and everything it sees as a threat.

Last deer I took with my longbow was by a spine shot. Dropped
it on the spot, which fortunately was about 20 yds. from a logging
road that I could drive my truck down.

That was a long time ago..but some memories never seem to fade.

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I still come from a community where a person's word is their bond. Moreover, it is still a deeply held offence to accuse a trusted member of the community of committing a falsehood. So, whether the intent was originally to offend or not, I believe that is what has happened on this thread to O.D.

As for who said, "Trust but verify", I imagine that would apply if the person wanted to sell the artifact, and in that case, the person buying is within their full rights to see any documents for authentication, so how that applies to a trusted forum member (a lot of the double-doubters posting skepticism are minor posters/green rookies/possible trolls, not major contributors) a valued person that is simply sharing an incredible find (not for profit or the expression of any intent to sell) I just don't get the level of skepticism, not at all!

Old Digger found something incredible and thought it would be wonderful to share in the celebration of the find, which many thoughtful people have allowed him to do by the way (kudos to you all, I don't ever want you to be forgotten in all of this, your support is commendable). Moreover, as for the naysayers that demand proof, for whatever reason in this case (Old Digger has never verbalized any intent to sell or profit from his find), and I really don't care if someone somewhere else on TNET posted fakes (I believe that speaks to their lack of credibility, and is in no way relevant to this find whatsoever), I'm still not convinced of what your agenda is in hurling doubt and skepticism toward a trusted member.

The genuine tragedy now is that Old Digger may never share an incredible find again, and that is the sad loss in all of this . . .

If any of you have posted with the intent of being a troll
, shame on you, and if any of you posted with such intent, I hope you face the same level of scrutiny on any find you are brave enough to post, no matter how much you want others to celebrate in your find with you.

John Lambert

Jun 30, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Viper Trident
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imagine the skill it took to make that arrow point. Then track down the animal and hit it in just the right spot to take it down. Great find, museums would love to have it.

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why the hell do I have to have this authenticated. As I have shared and stated this is a personal find and I am not seeking any favored esteem or honor. I didn't even post this item to receive any banner votes. And I would even ask that the Moderators dismiss these banner votes. I don't need them. I just wanted to show something in my eyes that was special to others here on tnet. The truth is that it is the real deal, and at the present time I have no desire to have it authenticated so hang that on your hat along with your other naysayers. Good Riddance!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread