What's new

Found then sold for a confusing price **Buyer Update**

Historyhound

Full Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2006
Messages
248
Reaction score
54
Golden Thread
0
Location
Schenectady New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Apparently strike doubling, which is said to have no extra value, is worth something to some people. I found this 1972 strike doubled cent last week, while searching a $25 box, and decided to put it on EBay to see what would happen. I started the bid at 99c for 3 days. With about 2 hrs to go there was a 99c bidder with 1 watching. I figured I might get $2 if I was lucky and then had to run a couple errands. Came home about an hour after the auction ended and was pleasantly shocked with what I saw. Check it out.


**UPDATE** I have to admit, I stressed myself with a bit of guilt over the selling price. That all went away today. Have a look at the 4th pic down.
 

Attachments

  • 1972doublestruckdateeTNpic.webp
    1972doublestruckdateeTNpic.webp
    16 KB · Views: 756
  • 1972doublestruckfaceCLOSE.webp
    1972doublestruckfaceCLOSE.webp
    32.5 KB · Views: 789
  • EBAYSCREEN.webp
    EBAYSCREEN.webp
    33.2 KB · Views: 769
  • 1972buyercomment.webp
    1972buyercomment.webp
    60.2 KB · Views: 292
Upvote 0
Re: Found then sold for a confusing price

there are countless coin collectors out there that focus only on error coinage :D
 
Re: Found then sold for a confusing price

Wow, nice.
 
Re: Found then sold for a confusing price

I think I must start looking for errors more. Now was this an error listed in redbook? What a profit. Awesome.

Golden Silver
 
Re: Found then sold for a confusing price

golden silver said:
I think I must start looking for errors more. Now was this an error listed in redbook? What a profit. Awesome.

Golden Silver

This isn't a listed error. I'm assuming the coin got stuck in the collar and was stamped a 2nd time before being ejected from the press. And that is just a guess.
 
Re: Found then sold for a confusing price

wow nice find and sale!
Cheers!
 
Re: Found then sold for a confusing price

Historyhound said:
golden silver said:
I think I must start looking for errors more. Now was this an error listed in redbook? What a profit. Awesome.

Golden Silver

This isn't a listed error. I'm assuming the coin got stuck in the collar and was stamped a 2nd time before being ejected from the press. And that is just a guess.
that would be called Double Die... error... :read2:
 
Re: Found then sold for a confusing price

jdsarasin8194 said:
Historyhound said:
golden silver said:
I think I must start looking for errors more. Now was this an error listed in redbook? What a profit. Awesome.

Golden Silver

This isn't a listed error. I'm assuming the coin got stuck in the collar and was stamped a 2nd time before being ejected from the press. And that is just a guess.
that would be called Double Die... error... :read2:

Nope it is not a double die. A double die is a die that was doubled during hubbing. This has been double struck by a normal die.
 
Re: Found then sold for a confusing price

This is one of those that I think the doubled die folks get worked up over because it's not truly a "doubled die". I have a hard time with these types of errors (taking the time to id them on my part), but I think that the way you described it and provided excellent photos leaves no room for complaining by the purchaser. I have a few of these from this year (1972) and also the infamous 69-S. Given the price you realized I think I may have to get my camera fired up and start selling some. Thanks for sharing. HH all.
 
Re: Found then sold for a confusing price

jdsars... It is quite obviously a double die error. What I was refering to was this a common double die error listed in the red book. Sorry, I might have needed to expound a bit more. None the less to make almost 50 bones off of 1 cent is astonishing.

Golden Silver
 
Re: Found then sold for a confusing price

Quick reference would be PCGS.com. They list some of the more collectible doubled die strikes. I think the 1972 is among them. They also have decent pics. Unless you are an actual member of PCGS, they limit you to photos of only one error per day, though.
 
Re: Found then sold for a confusing price

Wow! Nice!!
 
Re: Found then sold for a confusing price

golden silver said:
jdsars... It is quite obviously a double die error. What I was refering to was this a common double die error listed in the red book. Sorry, I might have needed to expound a bit more. None the less to make almost 50 bones off of 1 cent is astonishing.

Golden Silver

Absolutely NOT a double die. Double struck is the 100% correct desciption. Note how the secondary image has been flattened. A true double die would have the same raised features, not squashed flat. Just compare it with any double die and the difference should jump right out at you. Mine is on top.
 

Attachments

  • 1972doublestruckdateCLOSEDATE.webp
    1972doublestruckdateCLOSEDATE.webp
    20.9 KB · Views: 663
  • 1972book.webp
    1972book.webp
    17.7 KB · Views: 657
Re: Found then sold for a confusing price

That's a great coin and you scored well financially with it.
Good job!
rileyboy
 
Re: Found then sold for a confusing price

Hi all!
As I've said before just ask and I will try to help. First of all this is simple machine doubling. It wasn't on the hub. It didn't happen because the coin was struck twice. It happened because one of the dies had a little play in it. When the planchet was struck one of the dies (probably the top) twisted a little and created the secondary image as it settled in. I hate to say bad things about others, but you would have to be a real rube to bid on that coin. Let the buyer beware! Again, this isn't a double die and it for sure isn't a nice coin. Value....... one cent. To someone with money to waste......priceless. If you want to buy these just let me know. For that kind of money I'll get you all you want. :icon_scratch:
HH
Gilbert
 
Re: Found then sold for a confusing price

That's a very good score ! I don't know the first thing about errors. I never look beyond the edge. If I see clad it's an error in my book. Who knows what treasures I've thrown back.
Perhaps when I get tired of this half dollar thing, I'll do some research and start hunting for these things.
HH
Rich
 
Re: Found then sold for a confusing price

Good for you - bonus Karma points for the description and pictures.
If that's what they want to pay, sell more!
 
Re: Found then sold for a confusing price

enamel7 said:
Hi all!
As I've said before just ask and I will try to help. First of all this is simple machine doubling. It wasn't on the hub. It didn't happen because the coin was struck twice. It happened because one of the dies had a little play in it. When the planchet was struck one of the dies (probably the top) twisted a little and created the secondary image as it settled in. I hate to say bad things about others, but you would have to be a real rube to bid on that coin. Let the buyer beware! Again, this isn't a double die and it for sure isn't a nice coin. Value....... one cent. To someone with money to waste......priceless. If you want to buy these just let me know. For that kind of money I'll get you all you want. :icon_scratch:
HH
Gilbert

This is why the sale price shocked me. Am I wrong to assume that "strike doubling" and "machine doubling" mean the same thing? In my desription, I also never called it "double struck". I made sure not to call it a "double die", that would have been VERY misleading, and I've seen alot of people doing it. I've seen people pay big money for "grease filled" dies too.
 
Re: Found then sold for a confusing price

Historyhound said:
golden silver said:
I think I must start looking for errors more. Now was this an error listed in redbook? What a profit. Awesome.

Golden Silver

This isn't a listed error. I'm assuming the coin got stuck in the collar and was stamped a 2nd time before being ejected from the press. And that is just a guess.

I remember when was teen in 70's it was a listed mint error as a local Coin Dealer advertised for it; but my numismatic interests did not last more than couple years, my Silver (CRH) interests only begun in 09.
 
Re: Found then sold for a confusing price

Just so I'm not misunderstood, I don't fault you Historyhound. you showed integrity by listing the coin for what it is.
Also, to clarify the machine doubling a little more. According to the Cherrypicker's Guide this is caused by the components of the coin press becoming loose. The press operators correct this when they start appearing by simply stopping the press and tightening anything loose. Most collectors consider this type of coin to be damaged. :read2:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom