What's new

French Ashtray- Is it commemorating something?

Don in SJ

Silver Member
Joined
May 20, 2005
Messages
4,938
Reaction score
859
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Mother gave me this ashtray yesterday, my Dad brought it back from France at the end of WW2. I remember seeing it on his desk for decades and just always assumed it was depicting a soldier, and never gave it any other thought.

But now that I have it in my possession and have looked at it carefully I think that this ashtray must be commemorating something and that it looks more like a miner with a pick axe over his shoulder. Thoughts anybody?

Don
 

Attachments

  • French Ashtray.webp
    French Ashtray.webp
    103.4 KB · Views: 463
hey Don thats a nice one but i have no idea if it commemorates something. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Looks like it may be thanking the French workers for their help with winning the war.
 
Upvote 0
Now that's an idea, notice the big fan at the top of the building, they were used in mines to help exhaust methane build up out of the shafts.......good call....NGE
 
Upvote 0
Good One, Bah
 
Upvote 0
The French really haven't one too many victories, so I'd go in another direction on your search. Kidding, kinda. Might have been made from scrap metal, kinda like the artillery shell artwork. Keep us posted.
 
Upvote 0
I think you determined what it is pretty good. I am fairly sure that it was a souvenir of the recognition for what the France mining industry did to help the war effort, made at the end of WWII. The 'fan' on the right hand side, on the top of the tower is a mining elevator shaft wheel, they used that sort of wheel... A great memorabilia to keep!
 

Attachments

  • 02_Lift.webp
    02_Lift.webp
    40.9 KB · Views: 571
  • 269585850vLhxyA_ph.webp
    269585850vLhxyA_ph.webp
    40.9 KB · Views: 305
Upvote 0
The word D'epos'e on the back means roughly "registered design". Is there something else engraved on the back besides France and 1945? Seems I can see a couple of characters but can't make out what.

Nice piece, and I would just enjoy it as a reminder of your Father's service.

Old_Okie
 
Upvote 0
Since it appears brass, and is dated 1945, I'd say it's a good chance that it is "shell art", meaning someone making useful items out of spent artillery shells. Since the inscription is in English, possibly something made by the locals in France for sale/trade/gift to the Americans, or British.

And it looks more patriotic than this :tongue3:

frenchsuck.jpg
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom