What's new

French Button ?

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
2,603
Reaction score
806
Golden Thread
2
Location
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe this button was Identified as a french button. My question is on the age. Could it be mid 1700s ? Thanks coop
 

Attachments

  • 012.webp
    012.webp
    80.9 KB · Views: 241
  • 013.webp
    013.webp
    78.2 KB · Views: 220
It looks like a French Marines...but I don't think it is.
 
Upvote 0
romeo-1 said:
It looks like a French Marines...but I don't think it is.
Thats what I was thinking, "French Troupes de la Marine" Louisbourg, c. 1748-1758. But I cant find a pic of the back to compare mine to.
 
Upvote 0
I've found a few French Marines and none have a backmark...and the shank is totally different.
 
Upvote 0
Treble Gilt/Plated backmarks were not known in the mid 1700s and most, if not all of the buttons marked as such are early 1800s.

Don
 
Upvote 0
I think Don is right about the back mark so you guys are right about early 1800s. Is it french and is it military related? Thanks for the help everyone.
 
Upvote 0
That one would have fooled me seeing it come out of the dirt and I have found many French Marines buttons. (18 on a day in 2004) This is not the first I've seen one that looks close, and usually they are a bit thicker.
 
Upvote 0
Question: Would a French button have an English backmark?
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
Question: Would a French button have an English backmark?


Sure you might find some modern ones, but generally not, and definitely not from that period. (no backmarks at all)
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
IronSpike said:
Question: Would a French button have an English backmark?


Sure you might find some modern ones, but generally not, and definitely not from that period. (no backmarks at all)

Thanks Iron Patch :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom