metalbobber

Greenie
Jun 1, 2008
Haslett, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Minuteman, BH Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Friday the 7th I came upon a coin at 8 inches which I first thought was a steel or iron disk or slug. Turned out to be a Roman bronze coin -- Hadrian, 2nd century A.D. I posted it in the "What Is It?" forum and my TH buddies helped me out with the research on it. Now I have to ask, how did it end up in Michigan? Not complaining though, this was the most exciting find I've had in years.

Attachments

• P1090111.JPG
    P1090111.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 169
  • P1090112.JPG
    P1090112.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 157

Marko0916

May 8, 2012
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Excal.II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome.

Good question, one we will never know though, unless you find other stuff in that area

megnpat

Apr 30, 2013
bellaire MI
Detector(s) used
somethin with a round thing on it ;)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice coin that just proves that you never know whats out there good find im guessin either somone bought it as a tourist and lost it once home or a collector who lost or someone lost their lucky coin HH

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!! :o - that is one heck of a find. I agree - how in the world did that coin end up in Michigan?? Way cool find!!

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is/was a TV show called "America Unearthed" ( America Unearthed ? Episodes, Video & Schedule - H2 on History.com ). The basic premise of the show was trying to put meaning to a lot of sites/arifacts/etc that predated Columbus. A lot of what the series was researching was the path of the Knights Templar.

One of the first episodes that I caught (Great Lakes Copper Heist) was researching why so much copper had been removed from an area/islands in the Michagan area. The was all explained, in their opinion, that research had shown that during the bronze age in Europe, there was not enough copper in Europe to create the amount of bronze used by militaries. When they did spectroanalysis on the coppers in Europe, and the coppers in the Michigan area, the analysis showed that a majority of the copper/bronze in Europe had the same signature as the Michigan area copper.

Just a thought and FYI.. and a possible explaination

Last edited:

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool find! What type of site? Maybe a kid had it in his pocket? No matter still a super find!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's incredible! :hello2: Congrats! That gives me hope of finding something older than the 1800's. :icon_thumright:

HH

OP
OP
metalbobber

metalbobber

Greenie
Jun 1, 2008
Haslett, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the "Great Copper Heist" link Coldshuz ... watched it & was fascinated. After a lot of research I also came up with three other instances of Roman coin finds in Maine, Illinois and Arizona. Not to say my coin was dropped by a Roman, but who knows? Some years ago I also found a Nazi Party swastika medal dated 1935 in a city park in Lansing Michigan. I like to think a WW II vet brought it home and not a Nazi war criminal.

Michigander Dan

Mar 11, 2012
Water Wonderland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett Pinpointer pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is an incredible find. There have been some really insane finds here in MI already and the summer is just getting started. I voted banner on this as well for this insane find. Congratulations. :goldtrophy:

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crazy cool! congrats on the oldest coin Ive seen one here found in Michigan!

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations...I made a vote for banner also.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the find! mystery is good. Trade routes were established long before Columbus visited here. If estimates are near close we are missing a lot of copper to somewhere for sure. my wild imagination could see the figures on it representing trade. how ever it wound up under your coil it gets banner vote for sure.

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi metalbobber, about 12 or 13 years ago I was hunting at Lake Lansing beach, on the beach. A police officer came and told me it was illegal to hunt in East Lansing and that my equipment could be confiscated. I have not been back since. Can you update me on the detecting laws in Lansing and East Lansing?
thanks for any info.

Thanks for the "Great Copper Heist" link Coldshuz ... watched it & was fascinated. After a lot of research I also came up with three other instances of Roman coin finds in Maine, Illinois and Arizona. Not to say my coin was dropped by a Roman, but who knows? Some years ago I also found a Nazi Party swastika medal dated 1935 in a city park in Lansing Michigan. I like to think a WW II vet brought it home and not a Nazi war criminal.

OP
OP
metalbobber

metalbobber

Greenie
Jun 1, 2008
Haslett, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Krazyace --- I've hunted in East Lansing and Lake Lansing. I found out a couple years ago that a detectorist can hunt in the water at Lake Lansing and in the volleyball sand but not in the grass. In East Lansing the police can be troublesome and will confront you in school yards but when I show them all the junk I'm removing they then go away. Usually. Depends on the officer. I've never found any laws in either place that cover everything within the city limits, but after a few bad experiences I am careful. A few years ago I tried detecting a sidewalk area in a very small town in SW Michigan and was told to get out. Turns out that the mayor and some cronies passed that ordnance and they were detecting it for peties sake! My Roman coin find came about because I sneaked in to an area that had public parking and walked in. Couldn't find an owner for the land so just played it careful late in the evening. No signs of any kind. At this time, I'm planning on detecting an old picnic area of the 1800s which on plat maps is part of a public school property. Anyway, when I have doubts I use my Tesoro Compadre which has paid for itself. Just in case the police go by policy and not law. Good digs on ya krazyace.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
That is one amazing old coin, what a thrill to dig such an ancient piece, big congrats to you!

OP
OP
metalbobber

metalbobber

Greenie
Jun 1, 2008
Haslett, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is one amazing old coin, what a thrill to dig such an ancient piece, big congrats to you!
Thanks for your comment. It was indeed a thrill, most certainly a once in a lifetime find. Unless I relocate to the UK, and I won't because I have too many places yet to hunt here in Michigan. Still hoping to get back to my "old digs" in Mecosta & Newaygo counties one day soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread