From Heart Break to BooYEAH in 6 Hours Flat!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I started the morning by taking my two year old for a walk around a very old and very historic fort near where I live. We were walking past some ramparts where the grass had eroded away leave just soil when I noticed a glint of gold. I scrambled up the bank and lo and behold a gold coin! I immediately saw the ship on one side and my heart started racing a mile a minute! It was heavy but when I flipped it over the excitement died. Turns out it is a 1933 commemorative coin for a visit to the last American whaling ship, the Charles W. Morgan. Given the age of the fort and the history associated with it I think my excitement was well called for, if short lived.

In the afternoon I was able to get out for a couple solo detecting hours to the field I've been hunting this past fall. So far it has not let me down and yesterday was no different. I concentrated on an area that I've ignored, except for one pass through the first day I was there (with Iron Patch and Iron Horse). Surprisingly lot's of targets. Got the usual couple musket balls including a pistol round, a couple lead disc's, spoon frag with silver "X" and the finds of the day. 1st is a 1723 Woods Hibernia copper in the typical crusty condition but easily identifiable.

The find of the day came as a complete surprise. In the field I thought it was a bent coin so into the pouch for later identification. When I got home I was able to see what I thought was a number "1" inside a tudor rose. I did my internet research and was coming up blank. I hit Iron Patch with a PM and asked if he was familiar with that motif but we were still coming up blank. Finally I found a picture online and slapped myself on the forehead! It wasn't a "1" inside a tudor rose...it was. "4". Iron Patch and I knew exactly what that was...a King's American Regiment officer's button!!! It's a little bent and it's crusty but the history is there! From my first hunt with Iron Patch a KAR Loyalist button has been my #1 want...I never thought I would find one within eyesight of my own house! I'm thinking that with a little care I'll be able to coax some detail out of this button.

Attachments

• 08 January 2012 004.jpg
    08 January 2012 004.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,340
  • 08 January 2012 007.jpg
    08 January 2012 007.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,348
  • 08 January 2012 006.jpg
    08 January 2012 006.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,357
  • 08 January 2012 005.jpg
    08 January 2012 005.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,505
  • 08 January 2012 003.jpg
    08 January 2012 003.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,569
Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that the location you found it at is responsible for the condition and do hope there is another one at that location above the flood plain! Guaranteed to be in better shape !!

Don

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well not even a couple weeks into the year and you already have some awesome finds, that's pretty sweet in itself. This time last year we had a snowstorm every other day it seemed. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunthicks said:
Well not even a couple weeks into the year and you already have some awesome finds, that's pretty sweet in itself. This time last year we had a snowstorm every other day it seemed. :icon_thumright:

Hey, you know where I live...or at least The Patriot does...come on over!

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's not good enough I'll take it.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffy said:
If it's not good enough I'll take it.

Oh believe me...this has been on my list for 5 years...It's good enough!

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Hunthicks said:

Sounds good to me! I'm pretty much free 24/7 now. If I thought my car would survive the trip I'd come myself ;D

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Hunthicks said:

:laughing7: Yes I do, I may have to make a trip there! just think I almost moved down your way a number of years ago...just think of the dirt we would've covered!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread