May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went for a mid morning hunt in my river that I've been trying to clean out this summer. Every time I go I manage to find a bunch more things that I missed before. I'll never clean this area out because people have been swimming there for over 100 years.

Anyway here's what I found today.

DSC_0001.jpg

Upvote 0

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How cold is the water? What type of protection do you where? Looks like the same stuff I pull out of my river. Ring will look good after a clean up!

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The water wasn't particularly cold, maybe 68-70 degrees if I had to guess. The problem was that it was cloudy and still cool because of the time of day. I always wear swim shorts with boots and a compression shirt to provide a tiny bit of warmth, but plan to get some kind of wetsuit this or next year.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was curious as to what depth you are working at? Below waiste, chest? What kind of digger?

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a couple of rivers I work here. One is warm in the summer but in winter it's as cold as the other in summer. In winter I wouldn't even consider hunting it. Even in summer I figure it's only in the 50's. I where leg waders use a flat bar for digging and a glove for retrieval.

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The area that I usually hunt is about a 200 foot stretch of river (the river is probably 10-20 feet wide in most places). It ranges anywhere from 3 inches to 5 feet or so, and has a decent current. I'd say average depth is 2 feet, and my preferred depth is 2-3 feet.

I like rivers because I need no tools. I just hold my detector by the shaft, about a foot or two from the coil, and lay down and swing, digging all repeatable tones (I set iron disc to 40 and turn on iron audio on my AT Pro). I use my hand as a fan to kick up dirt and the current carries the dirt and rocks away. It works pretty quickly and I can usually retrieve targets in 10 seconds or less.

I was thinking next year that I would pick up a second propointer and waterproof my current one, and also make myself some kind of pick to help get through some of the rocky areas.

edit: forgot to say I use a mask + dry snorkel and the waterproof headphones.

Last edited:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's a lot of diggin' Mr. Helton

Congrats on the silver ring find,. and great photography!

Lorraine

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was thinking I seen somebody today in the water, I won't say where since we live so close to each other.
Nice finds. I almost think one of those mepps spinners I may have lost there lol.

Mike

Oh hey man. I don't mind saying where I was lol. I was in the Huron river near wixom road, I go there a lot. I remember you told me where you live, so it's definitely possible it was me!

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
lol yeah I used to detect around the boy scout cabins there at proud lake back in the 80's, now DNR is rather fussy, always wanted to detect that water especially under the bridge by powers beach few feet up the road, but no water machine. couple weeks back I think the Michigan treasure hunters club was doing a seeded hunt at powers...that many coils in one place made me paranoid so I split lol.
if you are out there next weekend I'll drag the wifey out and finally meet up with you.

Mike

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This coming weekend I'm doing a little roadtrip to southern Ohio where I've gotten my best finds, but I should be free basically any other weekend after that I think. My dad will probably come along too!

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good looking hunt. But no gold?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread