What's new

Funny little stone

darthoblio

Full Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
114
Reaction score
20
Golden Thread
0
Here's a funny little piece I picked up in northern San Diego County. I always figured it was just a natural piece of sandstone, but the shape is so odd I couldn't be sure. What do you think?

P4260001.webp P4260002.webp P4260003.webp
 
Upvote 0
Maybe a bone fragment? Is it at all like a "Rock Sponge" texture?
 
Any area's showing wear? Looks like it would make a very good abrading stone.
 
Might be pottery. They used sand, bone, and other things in it. It will feel gritty.
 
It's VERY gritty. I've found boxfulls of shards over the years, and never one like this. For such in insignificant little pebble, I've mused over this one a lot.
 
I think it is sand that filled in something perishable ..probably wood or bone and solidified..since then the original item has deteriorated away.
I've found loads of things like that while fossil hunting in rivers here in Florida.

ForumRunner_20130427_134757.webp



ForumRunner_20130427_134955.webp
 
Last edited:
Your second photo is quite similar GatorBoy. I love being able to connect with other folks who pick up things like this and ponder them.
 
Yeah me too..it helps.
I know exactly what its like with things like that.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom