What's new

Further proof that Brinks seeds their boxes

ringding

Hero Member
Joined
May 5, 2006
Messages
692
Reaction score
26
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
I just went through a $25 box of pennies and there were no pennies older than 1982 except one 1940 wheat cent. I have bought boxes of half dollars from brinks through my bank and there would be one 40% half dollar in each box. The head teller talked to brinks and their response suggested that that is what they are doing. She said that the brinks spokesman said that "there was something in each box."

Now if this just happened with halves, one could argue that it is just random chance and most silver halves have been picked. But when you go through a whole box of Brinks pennies and there is one wheat cent and NO other coins older than 1982, it is more than coincidence.
 
Upvote 0
ringding said:
I just went through a $25 box of pennies and there were no pennies older than 1982 except one 1940 wheat cent. I have bought boxes of half dollars from brinks through my bank and there would be one 40% half dollar in each box. The head teller talked to brinks and their response suggested that that is what they are doing. She said that the brinks spokesman said that "there was something in each box."

Now if this just happened with halves, one could argue that it is just random chance and most silver halves have been picked. But when you go through a whole box of Brinks pennies and there is one wheat cent and NO other coins older than 1982, it is more than coincidence.

I am not saying I believe that this happens, but the thought has crossed my mind. Especially when there is only single 40% out of 1000 coins. It would be pretty smart for Brinks to be doing this in that they have to make more money over time if CRHers are ordering thousands of their boxes across the country.

The only caveat to the theory is that I get quite a few skunk Brinks boxes too. It would seem to take time as well for them to pick out 40%s and make sure that one gets into every box. But stranger things happen in the world today.

Interesting concept that you brought up.

Jim
 
I feel its just random, Why would some boxes on occasion be loaded with hundreds of dollars in silver and some none and some one or two 40s
If it was economical to have banks order it would be more economical to just cull out the silver...but think about it. its not going to be worth there time. I am sure they have looked into it. They may be confined by law/rules that that they cant take anything out.

Fact is, old money, particularly change gets into the system, Just as we find foreign stuff in there too Random stuff makes it into rolls. We have all found guitar picks, foreign, tokens, other denominations of coins, I got a nickel in a roll of halves the other day.
It just happens.

Fact is people on this board and others know that random stuff gets mixed into coinage. you find pocket lint, papers, and all kinds of other nasty stuff in with the coins. If you have ever gotten a bank bag off a machine you will know this.

It also depends on the machine too. you may have also encountered someones penny dump.
I believe I saw somewhere once where the sorting machines that sort copper from plated cents is not always %100 accurate.
This may explain your one wheat box.
 
What reason would Brink have to seed a box? Nothing to gain on their part.

HH
Cat
 
I've heard some theory's on this board but that one takes the cake. Simply ridiculous.
 
Cat J said:
What reason would Brink have to seed a box? Nothing to gain on their part.

HH
Cat

I guess one theory would be that if CRHers keep finding a silver coin here and there, they will continue to CRH and/or increase how many boxes they order thus leading to Brink's business increasing and possibly making a higher profit due to processing more and more halves, i.e. sending boxes out to the banks and processing the incoming rejects.

I am not saying that I believe they do this, but the concept is kind of interesting I think.

Jim
 
Cat J said:
What reason would Brink have to seed a box? Nothing to gain on their part.

HH
Cat

More fee money from the orders...
 
Let me add to the conspiracy theory!

When I was going through my last load, I noticed that nearly all of the silvers I found were three coins in from one end of the roll. I founds this to be odd.

At the same time, if Brinks puts one silver in each box, that means no skunks!
 
Is that a shadowed figure behind the grassy knoll?????
 
The whole thought of Brinks seeding a box of half dollars is ridiculous.

So say they charge $2.50/box to the bank for each box of half dollars, you think they are going to put 1 - 40% (worth $2.44 by today's silver prices) in each box and subtract almost 80% of their gross receipt? I don't think so.

And although the cost is substantially less with pennies, it still would not justify the cost or time. In the specific instance given, I would say it is most likely the case of somebody having a Ryedale that missed 1 coin. Though I don't own one, I am guessing they are not 100% accurate.
 
Roadquest said:
Brinks is out to get all of us :tongue3: lol they would not put the time in to do that,
There is no money in it for them.

Time, just use a weight sorter to start the whole thing off. Than box the coins......sell silver scrap. Money for silver, money for shipping/handling.

I know they dont because its completely against their CoC in their handbook......but i would =P
 
Forget the halves, no one else thinks it is odd that in a whole box of pennies, all were newer than 1982 except one? There are millions upon millions of pennies older than 1982 in circulation. Plus dont forget the conversation with the head teller. I guess you had to be there.
 
You got a Jackson Metal dump.

Brinks guys complain to much about hauling those halves around to want us to keep ordering them. They do not get paid any more to deliver half dollars than they do dollar bills. They don't like doing it and would just as soon we not get the silver out of the boxes.

Sorry but I can not go alone with this one.

HH
Cat
 
I can believe it.

Why not ride that pony if they are making money on fee's to the banks for the service of pick up packaging and counting. Why not?, even though a 40% might be worth $2.00 + the rewards of CRH buying up all those boxes continuously keeps building up Brinks bottom line. It would be just a matter of a manager dropping 1 or 2 in with every bag of 1000 that gets dumped into the hopper. Not so hard to believe.

At least it gives me some hope. 8) Cause I surely hate them SKUNKS. >:(

Forget that the drivers hate it. The company is making money.

As for the 1 wheat in the penny box doesn't really make much sense. Can't explane that one.

Mojo
 
Wow. When you get a skunk box, you are getting a dump. When you find 1 40% silver half in a box, you are getting 99.9% dump and one 40% half that was deposited into the same bank's coin counter as the 999 dump coins.

When you find 3 or 4 or 5 silver coins all together in the same roll and it's the only stuff in a box, it's because the same person deposited some old silver all at once, it goes through the counter and stays in close proximity when it gets rerolled.

The pennies were a copper searcher's dumps that all got rolled together. From what I've heard the Ryedale counters miss a few of the older Wheats.

As far the conversation with your bank employee...man bank employees have no idea on this sort of thing...they'll tell you whatever.
 
DrDetector said:
Wow. When you get a skunk box, you are getting a dump. When you find 1 40% silver half in a box, you are getting 99.9% dump and one 40% half that was deposited into the same bank's coin counter as the 999 dump coins.

When you find 3 or 4 or 5 silver coins all together in the same roll and it's the only stuff in a box, it's because the same person deposited some old silver all at once, it goes through the counter and stays in close proximity when it gets rerolled.

The pennies were a copper searcher's dumps that all got rolled together. From what I've heard the Ryedale counters miss a few of the older Wheats.

As far the conversation with your bank employee...man bank employees have no idea on this sort of thing...they'll tell you whatever.

Right on.
I get a lot of mixed penny boxes w/o any copper. Has to be a from a Ryedale or similar sorter- they do miss the older wheats and some IH's and send them to the reject bucket with the zincers.
Yeah - Brinks employees only move money, they don't and aren't allowed to touch it!
 
The head teller that I deal with at the bank said that they pay the same fee to get 1 box as they do to get 500 boxes so that theory doesn't hold water. I often find 1 40er in my brinks boxes and its usually a dirty coin that someone missed doing edge searches. The brinks boxes around here look like a rainbow with all the different color markings on them. I got a 87 last night with black red and green on the edges, ticked me off!!!
 
DrDetector said:
As far the conversation with your bank employee...man bank employees have no idea on this sort of thing...they'll tell you whatever.
Amen.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom