What's new

Gaming stone

Worm-Slicer

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2013
Messages
638
Reaction score
1,104
Golden Thread
2
Location
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's a gaming stone I found a few years ago. I had someone a few months back wanting me to post pics of it, and just now got around to it. Not sure if it's possible to identify the Indians that had this or not, but it was found in Southwest Virginia. I found this right inside a 1700's fort where I was digging signals with my detector. I have something just like this but about the size of my hand, much bigger, but not sure if that's Indian. It's like a super oversized version of this one. Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • gamingstone1.webp
    gamingstone1.webp
    41.1 KB · Views: 142
  • gamingstone2.webp
    gamingstone2.webp
    33.6 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0
Educate me please. How can you tell it's a gaming stone?
 
Educate me please. How can you tell it's a gaming stone?

I honestly don't even know what they were used for. I saw a picture of one in a book that was being held and exact dimensions of mine. I'm definitely no expert though.
 
It does look like a late prehistoric/historic discoidal. There are several types of discoidals, some are so elaborate and finely polished that they are stunning works of art. Yours is the plain style, which is by far the most common style.

In historic times the game was called Chunkey. If you google Chunkey Discoidal you’ll get lots of details.
 
It does look like a late prehistoric/historic discoidal. There are several types of discoidals, some are so elaborate and finely polished that they are stunning works of art. Yours is the plain style, which is by far the most common style.

In historic times the game was called Chunkey. If you google Chunkey Discoidal you’ll get lots of details.

Thanks for the info and I did google that and there are some really nice ones, especially those with the convex on each side. Mine is plain and even common I still like it I would love to find one of the more elaborate and polished ones. The game is intersting too. If only this could talk the stories it could tell, like all the relics we find.:)
 
I found a nice site on gaming stones that tells a lot of information. Mine fits in the biscuit style and said they can be two to over four inches. That huge stone I found that looks just like this may be another. I'll have to get a photo, but it looks exactly the same, about four or five inch diameter, and much thicker. Just like a giant biscuit though. Here's the link: http://peachstatearchaeologicalsociety.org/index.php/22-game-stones
 
Nice example of a stone disc.
 
Here's a few examples I've found on Ft Ancient sites in my area. All of them are stone except top row, second from the left. It is Pottery. These are to small to be Chunkey Stones and there are several theories of their use from Pot Lids, Game Stones, and Loom Whorls(ones with a center hole).
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    397.1 KB · Views: 69
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    557.6 KB · Views: 74
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    474 KB · Views: 69
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    411.2 KB · Views: 83
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    425.1 KB · Views: 66
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    487.9 KB · Views: 69
Here's a few examples I've found on Ft Ancient sites in my area. All of them are stone except top row, second from the left. It is Pottery. These are to small to be Chunkey Stones and there are several theories of their use from Pot Lids, Game Stones, and Loom Whorls(ones with a center hole).
Wow!! Thanks for posting those you have been very fortunate to find so many. They are really quite interesting relics. I have what I think is another one, but super huge and soon as I find it I will post it up and get everyone's opinion on that one.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom