What's new

Garage sale

tightlines

Greenie
Joined
Jan 6, 2007
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
While driving home from the shops yesterday came upon a garage sale. went in and had a look around and noticed a tin with some coins in picked it up and asked how much, he said is a £1 ok(i think thats about two dollars). when i arrived home and had a look this was one them. Was that a good buy?
Thanks
Pete
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0338.webp
    IMG_0338.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,240
Upvote 0
TreasureTales said:
Nice bargain on that coin. But I think your math is off. If it takes $2.00 to equal 1 Pound (I don't have the symbol on my keyboard), then your coin is worth 40 pounds, not 440 pounds. But the estimates would be appropriate here in the USA, I don't imagine it would be worth 40 pounds in Britain.

i think he was talking abouit his weight not currency conversion..... just my guess
 
MartyG said:
TreasureTales said:
Nice bargain on that coin. But I think your math is off. If it takes $2.00 to equal 1 Pound (I don't have the symbol on my keyboard), then your coin is worth 40 pounds, not 440 pounds. But the estimates would be appropriate here in the USA, I don't imagine it would be worth 40 pounds in Britain.

i think he was talking abouit his weight not currency conversion..... just my guess

Well, English is my second language...American is my first. :D Something must have gotten lost in translation. ;)
 
Many thanks for all your kind comments,i can now see how lucky i was,in twenty years of metal detecting i have never sold a coin, and even though i paid for this i will never part with it. once again my sincere thanks. love the site.
Pete.
 
The "cc" mint mark on your coin is highly collectible and sought after over here.There were only 591,000 of those minted as compared to 12,600,000 from the Philidelphia mint in that same year.Even in that condition it's worth at least what jeff of pa. said it was,nice find for sure.Go back and see if he has anymore "foreign" coins to offer! ;) :)
 
Very, very nice!! ;D ;D ;D

;) RR
 
ill give you $3 for it ;)

great buy, what other coins were there?
 
I'll be danged if I ever sit in the car again while my wife checks out all those yard + garage sales . :'( :'( That's a real nice find . HH
 
whitesid said:
ill give you $3 for it ;)

great buy, what other coins were there? The rest(14 in total) were English one being a sixpence of the old head of Victoria 1898 and the rest were Pennies and Halfpennies of George v1 1946 +.
Pete
 
are you sure it's authentic? see the two Morgan silver dollars above, one is a FAKE

and the back has the same mint mark as your coin "CC" for Carson City

you can buy these in chinatown, San Francisco for $2 - $3 each

guess which coin is the fake? one is authentic and one is a reproduction made in China
 
Comanche Todd, I've got some bad news for you. BOTH of your cartwheels are counterfeits. LOL I guess your 1882 coin is a fake.
 
nice coin and a really good date.....buy looking at your coin i would say that it is at least a vf 20 or better....now we look it up in the 2007 red book and going price on that coin is between 160-170.....not bad for a couple of bucks......
great job
Lone
 
TreasureTales said:
Comanche Todd, I've got some bad news for you. BOTH of your cartwheels are counterfeits. LOL I guess your 1882 coin is a fake.

you are correct! the 1882 Morgan is the fake one :)

and it has the CC mint mark on the back
 
Hey Comanche Todd, tightlines' silver dollar is legit. Look at Lady Liberty's upper lip on his coin...see the slight sneer? And look at her chin, it's full. His coin is the real deal.
 
Nice find ... guess I am going to have to start looking at Garage sales
 
Comanche Todd said:
IMG_1937a.jpg


IMG_1943a.jpg


are you sure it's authentic? see the two Morgan silver dollars above, one is a FAKE

and the back has the same mint mark as your coin "CC" for Carson City

you can buy these in chinatown, San Francisco for $2 - $3 each

guess which coin is the fake? one is authentic and one is a reproduction made in China
I wouldv'e guessed the 82 also but just for the heck of it,what does the counterfeit weigh? Or is it not yours?
 
diggummup said:
Comanche Todd said:
are you sure it's authentic? see the two Morgan silver dollars above, one is a FAKE

and the back has the same mint mark as your coin "CC" for Carson City

you can buy these in chinatown, San Francisco for $2 - $3 each

guess which coin is the fake? one is authentic and one is a reproduction made in China
I wouldv'e guessed the 82 also but just for the heck of it,what does the counterfeit weigh? Or is it not yours?

the real Morgan on the left dated 1898 weighs 26.2 grams

the fake Morgan dated 1882 on the right weighs 19.8 grams
 
by the fact his is circulated for awhile,
and By looks of Ears, I'd say T's is real.

Probably over there since WW1
 

Attachments

  • Copy of IMG_1937azzzzzzzzzzzz.webp
    Copy of IMG_1937azzzzzzzzzzzz.webp
    8.5 KB · Views: 441
  • indexdddddddddd.webp
    indexdddddddddd.webp
    4.7 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_1937azzzzzzzzzzzz.webp
    IMG_1937azzzzzzzzzzzz.webp
    8.8 KB · Views: 444
Heck ya sucka! You got a nice coin for way way less than half of what it is worth!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom