Garrett AT Pro Audio Tips Request

TruePatriot

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2011
Minnesota
Hello All,

Got back into metal detecting last Summer a bought a Garrett AT Pro. Been very happy with the detector and with the spring thaw I've been able to get back out hunting again.

I am looking to improve my familiarity with the audio signals of the machine I've pretty much become accustomed to the target indicators and what usually falls within what range. I do well with coins, (77+ target range) and Iron (1-40), but having trouble with 40-65 range (gold, foil, pull tabs). I've been using pro mode recently and I really like being able to hear every "pop" and "ting" of the detector.

Now the big question - how to determine junk from gold? Seems like I am digging up foil and pieces of aluminum all too often for targets in the 40-55 range. If foil and gold come up as the same target number, will the audio always be the same? I always read people recommending to dig up everything in those ranges, but are there any tips? Does the detector "scream out" when it hits gold as opposed to foil?

Thanks.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcone to Tnet no the detector is not going to say im a gold coin or ring if it could all the gold would have been found you are going to dig foil,tabs,junk and in the big mix maybe some gold it just the nature of the machines most rings are lost on the beach or in the parks (sporting areas) and home gardens.Gary

Last edited:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello All,

Got back into metal detecting last Summer a bought a Garrett AT Pro. Been very happy with the detector and with the spring thaw I've been able to get back out hunting again.

I am looking to improve my familiarity with the audio signals of the machine I've pretty much become accustomed to the target indicators and what usually falls within what range. I do well with coins, (77+ target range) and Iron (1-40), but having trouble with 40-65 range (gold, foil, pull tabs). I've been using pro mode recently and I really like being able to hear every "pop" and "ting" of the detector.

Now the big question - how to determine junk from gold? Seems like I am digging up foil and pieces of aluminum all too often for targets in the 40-55 range. If foil and gold come up as the same target number, will the audio always be the same? I always read people recommending to dig up everything in those ranges, but are there any tips? Does the detector "scream out" when it hits gold as opposed to foil?

Thanks.

A big deep gold band may just sound as good as that little pesky dime sized wafer of old foil at half the depth of the said gold band. Or coin. Gold coin that is.

jjg70

Dec 12, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250. Garrett AT Pro
I've had my at pro since they came out and have good luck with it. Nickels will show 50-51 and I also found a Indian head penny that was hitting around 65. I have dug alot of pull tabs in the range your wondering about and I'll keep doing it as long as its a good tone. I've also found alot of military buttons and alot of those were between 60-70

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to dig the foil and "can slaw" range to get all sizes of gold. Some of my gold has been 43 / 47/ 49/ 59 on the ID number.

Wayne

funkapotamus

Feb 25, 2012
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had my AT Pro for a couple of months, and I find that if you stick to nice solid signals you'll dig way less trash. Pulltabs for me always seems to jump from 55-62 on the screen, and the foil from 40-45. I try dig nice consistent signals. I found a silver ring the other day and it hit 81-82 every time I went over it. My brother hit a gold ring the other day and it stayed a solid 61 on his AT Gold. I don't know if that is the correct advice, but since my brother and I have started doing this we are digging 2-3 good targets(coins,jewelry,etc.) to every junk target. I know we might be missing some good stuff, but this seems to be working for us. I know some people might not like that strategy, and say to dig everything. So what is the best way I think is up for debate. Good luck hunting.

OP
OP
T

TruePatriot

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2011
Minnesota
I have had my AT Pro for a couple of months, and I find that if you stick to nice solid signals you'll dig way less trash. Pulltabs for me always seems to jump from 55-62 on the screen, and the foil from 40-45. I try dig nice consistent signals. I found a silver ring the other day and it hit 81-82 every time I went over it. My brother hit a gold ring the other day and it stayed a solid 61 on his AT Gold. I don't know if that is the correct advice, but since my brother and I have started doing this we are digging 2-3 good targets(coins,jewelry,etc.) to every junk target. I know we might be missing some good stuff, but this seems to be working for us. I know some people might not like that strategy, and say to dig everything. So what is the best way I think is up for debate. Good luck hunting.

I took this approach this weekend and managed to find a ring. Decided I was only going to dig up solid signals with little variance on the target range indicator. I found going slow with the detector does best with the audio due to multiple targets overlapping which can create the impression of junk when there is actually good stuff to find.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I stick with the solid signals as well. I've found that 81-82 range is generally a dime but 2 days ago I too found a silver ring in the same range. I've also fount that 85-87 is generally a quarter but there's some bottle tops scattered in there once in a while as well. Those 40-45's are easy to write off as foil but if it sticks on one number I just have to dig it anyway. Generally always foil but at least it satisfies my curiosity.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not saying these readings are right or wrong but I did find this the other day. Quite honestly, I haven't payed much attention to it myself but some of you may find it helpful.

Garrett-AT-Pro-VDI-Chart.jpg

Garrett-AT-Pro-VDI-Chart-2.jpg

SeeingGold

Apr 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took this approach this weekend and managed to find a ring. Decided I was only going to dig up solid signals with little variance on the target range indicator. I found going slow with the detector does best with the audio due to multiple targets overlapping which can create the impression of junk when there is actually good stuff to find.

i agree, i got a mixed signal, 87, 91, 82 and i think one more. it looked like typical trash. i only dug i b/c the good numbers kept repeating. It was a multiple pocket spill, 3 or 4 quarters, 4 lincolns

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found going slow with the detector does best with the audio due to multiple targets overlapping which can create the impression of junk when there is actually good stuff to find.

That's the "masking" effect -

to combat this and do much better at "unmasking" (or in simple terms - pull more good stuff out of the bad stuff)

get the 5x8 DD coil and run the machine in Pro Mode Zero Disc while working slow - you'll be amazed at what you find and how you can pull it from a mixed pile of crap!

HH

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too only dig good repeatable signals. If I turn on the audio and here the iron tone during the swing I pass on digging. Now let me say I will dig a few of those that I am just not clear on and call them as junk and 99.99% of the time they are junk. I just got the 5 x 8 coil for my AT PRO and I do like the way it separates targets and just to test how it works I checked my small front yard which is littered with small pieces of aluminum from a remodel and I did find two nickels mixed in with the crap. I am anxious to hit a spot later today that is just littered with junk and I know there is some good targets there too.

Wrightor

Nov 18, 2016
Nevada City, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks, thanks for all the helpful info. just got my at pro and have been having a blast (except for the sore knees and back). got a little frustrated today because of all the bottle tops. managed to find a few quarters and pennies but still having trouble deciphering between the junk. I'm in gold country so I can't pass up readings in the 50's even though mostly it's junk. Happy with the coin readings ( they seem to be accurate) but I still dig a lot of bottle caps and pull tabs. Ordered the 5x8 coil so maybe it will make a difference. Boy, you sure have to have a lot of patience for this hobby. but I do love it!

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am on my 4th yr with the ATP love it// I don't think I have ever dug anything below 40// even the 16 axe heads were all above 40. ANY sig. above 40 that repeats I'll look at and maybe dig
I have never dug a 88+ sig. that was any good/// the sig. that bothers me is the 25-40 (3-4 passes) that slowly turns into an 80-81 and is a nice dime. Why does that happen ??
ATP-pro mode 0-25 desc, sens -2, 5x8 coil (note: The depth of a coin is 2-3" LESS than stated--always// 6"=3-4" every time get used to it// Perry

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am on my 4th yr with the ATP love it// I don't think I have ever dug anything below 40// even the 16 axe heads were all above 40. ANY sig. above 40 that repeats I'll look at and maybe dig
I have never dug a 88+ sig. that was any good/// the sig. that bothers me is the 25-40 (3-4 passes) that slowly turns into an 80-81 and is a nice dime. Why does that happen ??
ATP-pro mode 0-25 desc, sens -2, 5x8 coil (note: The depth of a coin is 2-3" LESS than stated--always// 6"=3-4" every time get used to it// Perry

The iron is masking it and as your discrimination kicks in it starts to stand out. I know you don't like to run it open but that's why a lot of us do. However your finding them so it's working. I hit a park one time last year and used discrimination and notched out stuff. To much noise even for me.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello perry2,

Be careful about the 88+ signals. This weekend, I dug a screaming solid 90 signal and was rewarded with a nice Barber Half Dollar.

GL & HH

Doc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread