George Washington Inaugural/Mourning cufflinks

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 5
Definitely an excellent find. Unfortunately there is a lot of good finds that should be shown up on the banner and a lot of finds that have no business being there.

pretty amazing finds! got my vote.

I believe one of those to be the only authentic and rarest GW funeral link known. That is an absolutely ridiculous find. I am shocked to see that. Amazing

I believe this is one of them

image-544066339.jpg

Dave, I agree those are pretty cool finds, but I think there may be some debate about those urn cufflinks being associated with George Washington. I also don't believe those two were a linked pair. See this thread from a while back, particularly Crusaders comment.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...fflinks-1810-1-2-real-confederate-button.html

The cufflink with the Federal Eagle I believe is a patriotic motif as opposed to an inaugural cufflink.

There may be some evidence out there that I'm not aware of, since I haven't researched these cufflinks and I would gladly stand corrected if these turn out to be GW Inaugural/Mourning related.

Last edited:
Dave, I agree those are pretty cool finds, but I think there may be some debate about those urn cufflinks being associated with George Washington. I also don't believe those two were a linked pair. See this thread from a while back, particularly Crusaders comment.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...fflinks-1810-1-2-real-confederate-button.html

I agree, they appear to be two separate cufflinks, Tice has an example of both in his book, and his are paired with each other. Also, have yet to see positive evidence to associate either with GW. The Eagle is a late Post Revolution Style Federal Eagle motif, but again where is the proof of representing GW? They are two great finds, would love to have found either one.

Last edited:
That's why I love this site. Much more knowledgeable people than myself giving expert opinions on finds. I would have just gone right on thinking these were GW mourning links when they may not be. I will be interested to hear from otvers

Very cool find! Congrats to your friend!

Definitely an excellent find. Unfortunately there is a lot of good finds that should be shown up on the banner and a lot of finds that have no business being there.

EXACTLY!!!

While it's true some items miss the banner :dontknow: maybe through not being enough information posted about the find, or lack of knowledge by some and new members, it's a bit harsh to say that finds that have made banner, have no right being there :sadsmiley: All the banner finds are voted on by the members of TreasureNet, so all deserve to be up there, like them or not.

SS

Now those are the kind of finds that just blow you away. HARDCORE history no doubt.

I have lost all faith in the "banner" thing, The real deal is these are incredible finds and even if they (and allot of other finds) make it up top, you HEAVYMETALNUT, have made a great save on a very interesting relic.

Whoops, I mean your buddy did.

Excuse my lack of knowledge about cuff links , but

George Washington cuff links ??? I have to pass on these , kool find and all that pat on the back stuff though , sorry

Excuse my lack of knowledge about cuff links , but George Washington cuff links ??? I have to pass on these , kool find and all that pat on the back stuff though , sorry
The claim is not that they belonged to GW himself. They are along the same line as the George Washington Inaugural buttons. It is thought by some that some of these cuff links were made as a tribute to his life when he passed.

A very interesting find. I like them very much, and they [whether single or a matched pair] would be a prized possession in any collection.

Maybe you can qualify your statement [with "in my opinion" or "in this person's opinion"] and leave an area open for invigorating discussion.... (?)

Those things are awesome.:headbang: Just once i'd like to find a GW anything..... button...cufflink...shoehorn... anything with a chicken hawk on it. :laughing7:

I agree this should have been nominated banner. I missed the original post. Some posts get buried pretty quickly and some posts need some help along in visibility and context. I agree though that some pretty silly things get nominated banner and others do not. I personally think there needs to be a panel of 'experts' to put their stamp on a banner nomination and not just go with numbers of votes. The user Tinpan made a recent post of a super rare tongue to a tongue and wreath belt plate that was made for the CA Gold Rush and was found in Australia. A friend of mine and I had to make several follow up posts explaining what it was; why it was so important; and why it should make he banner. It took several days but finally made it.

There are some things that make banner that have no/low historical value; and very little monetary value yet for some reason get nominated. I think there needs to be some criteria set, such as it HAS to be over 100 years old and/or worth a significant amount of money (for the nugget and jewelry posters maybe worth more than approx. $750 or more); or be historically significant (even though low monetary value, i.e. a musket ball where few have been found and is linked to something majorly significant-like a bullet from the Bullion Bend Robbery).

Though I understand the voting process; I think voting items of no historical value and or worth very little cheapens the finds of others who have made some serious historical finds. especially for those who didn't get nominated and your friends cufflinks would be a good example of this; though I am not an expert on GW cufflinks so am taking the post at face value.

We collectively need to be respectful of all posts but we also collectively need to be careful as to what we chose to represent the supposed 'best of the best' in our collective passion. I also know for a fact that there are many people viewing this forum who are not detectorists. Thee are people who monitor these collective sites that are looking for ways to detract against us; and we don't want to give them fodder.

At the end of the day it should all boil down to a story to be told that preserves and honors those who have gone before us. this would/should be banner in my opinion.

but I digress; congrats to your friend's find. I would suggest to repost it with the correct title and context so it gets the attention it deserves. Wish him good luck for me in finding the other set!

I agree this should have been nominated banner. I missed the original post. Some posts get buried pretty quickly and some posts need some help along in visibility and context. I agree though that some pretty silly things get nominated banner and others do not. I personally think there needs to be a panel of 'experts' to put their stamp on a banner nomination and not just go with numbers of votes. The user Tinpan made a recent post of a super rare tongue to a tongue and wreath belt plate that was made for the CA Gold Rush and was found in Australia. A friend of mine and I had to make several follow up posts explaining what it was; why it was so important; and why it should make he banner. It took several days but finally made it. There are some things that make banner that have no/low historical value; and very little monetary value yet for some reason get nominated. I think there needs to be some criteria set, such as it HAS to be over 100 years old and/or worth a significant amount of money (for the nugget and jewelry posters maybe worth more than approx. $750 or more); or be historically significant (even though low monetary value, i.e. a musket ball where few have been found and is linked to something majorly significant-like a bullet from the Bullion Bend Robbery). Though I understand the voting process; I think voting items of no historical value and or worth very little cheapens the finds of others who have made some serious historical finds. especially for those who didn't get nominated and your friends cufflinks would be a good example of this; though I am not an expert on GW cufflinks so am taking the post at face value. We collectively need to be respectful of all posts but we also collectively need to be careful as to what we chose to represent the supposed 'best of the best' in our collective passion. I also know for a fact that there are many people viewing this forum who are not detectorists. Thee are people who monitor these collective sites that are looking for ways to detract against us; and we don't want to give them fodder. At the end of the day it should all boil down to a story to be told that preserves and honors those who have gone before us. this would/should be banner in my opinion. but I digress; congrats to your friend's find. I would suggest to repost it with the correct title and context so it gets the attention it deserves. Wish him good luck for me in finding the other set!
Very well said Danimal. I was one of the people that needed to be schooled on that amazing piece that you and others were so helpful in explaining. I have been detecting for less than a year and I learn from research and also from informed people such as yourself giving detailed information on items that are found. I personally try to only hunt 1600s thru early 1800s sites. I love the history of these very old items and feel like those are generally the most important finds. For me anything involved in the Revolutionary War and this great country gaining it's independence is the ultimate. I don't believe that an item has to have a great monetary value to be a banner find but should be historically important as Danimal mentioned. Being a fairly new detectorist I would want my first banner find to be a "No Doubter". I just wouldn't want their to be any question as to whether it was worthy or not. I am in total agreement that these links should be up top because I believe them to be very rare and quite early. Just my opinion though and I'm not here to tell anybody what they should think. Some people love jewelry and some people love coins. I love Rev War history. It just makes me sad when my buddy here in Maine finds an incredible USA Rev War pewter button and it gets very little attention on a local md forum. Sadly a couple of barber dimes or indian heads seem to get more attention. In my mind it makes no sense at all but as I said to each there own. Best of luck to everyone regardless of what your passion may be, Abe

Last edited:

These GW Cuff-Link finds are definitely worthy of the BANNER as far as I'm concerned Dave! :notworthy:
I just put in my BANNER vote for him.

Maybe if he'd posted his original post in 'Today's Finds' it would've received more attention then in 'My Best Finds'? :dontknow:

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back