What's new

German Stein

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2007
Messages
1,769
Reaction score
76
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm trying to find some info on this Stein and am having no luck. I figured the what's it junkies would have this one solved in no time.
It is marked:

J. Reinemann, Munchen
Gesetzlich, Geschutzt

Can anyone find any info on this stein? How old? Value?
All I seem to find while searching is figurine steins made by Reinemann.
All help is appreciated.

Hill
 

Attachments

  • Stein.webp
    Stein.webp
    99.6 KB · Views: 899
  • Stein 001.webp
    Stein 001.webp
    35.5 KB · Views: 2,052
  • Stein 003.webp
    Stein 003.webp
    55.2 KB · Views: 808
Gesetzlich, Geschutzt = Legally protected.
 
Upvote 0
Hill.......on your stein the words.......gesetzlich,geschützt....= registered trade mark......I believe you will find his stamp inside the mug.....round cross.......hope this helps.....price.....well they are not cheap.....hope this helps some what.....nice mug....

db
 
Upvote 0
According to the sites I've linked, J. Reinemann was a stein designer and pewterer and most of his stein's were actually made by the manufacturer Merkelbach & Wick. One of the steins listed is a "Rook"

http://www.charactersteins.com/csbook/reinemann.htm

This link shows some specifics about J. Reinemann's logo and that the J. Reinemann over Munchen steinmark was used between 1873 - 1902 If he made the pewter lid/handle, his mark could be on it as well.

http://www.steinmarks.co.uk/pages/pv.asp?p=stein201

Merkelbach and Wick was a manufacturer that was founded in 1872 and ran until 1921-1922 when they were merged into Wick-Werke

http://www.steinmarks.co.uk/pages/pv.asp?p=stein165
 
Upvote 0
Hey HB, I think you may have a killer piece there. It is certainly a figural Stein, a Rook from a chessboard. How much does it hold? 1/2L? 1/3 or 1/4L?

-Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Bramblefind said:
DevilDog812 said:
seems to be chess related, but i couldnt find anything

I remembered that the Castle is the Rook and when I searched that way I got an interesting reference:

Pg 2 of this Stein Collectors Newsletter:

http://www.steincollectors.org/chapters/NewEnglandSteiners/NewEnglandApril09.pdf

jgjv2q.jpg


Thanks Bramblefind for finding the newsletter, it helped me out.
I spoke to David Harr yesterday and was told this stein was made from 1880-1900.

DanB said:
Hill.......on your stein the words.......gesetzlich,geschützt....= registered trade mark......I believe you will find his stamp inside the mug.....round cross.......hope this helps.....price.....well they are not cheap.....hope this helps some what.....nice mug....

db

Thanks for your help DanB, the only stamps or marks are on the bottom of stein which I've shown.

GpSnoopy said:
According to the sites I've linked, J. Reinemann was a stein designer and pewterer and most of his stein's were actually made by the manufacturer Merkelbach & Wick. One of the steins listed is a "Rook"

http://www.charactersteins.com/csbook/reinemann.htm

This link shows some specifics about J. Reinemann's logo and that the J. Reinemann over Munchen steinmark was used between 1873 - 1902 If he made the pewter lid/handle, his mark could be on it as well.

http://www.steinmarks.co.uk/pages/pv.asp?p=stein201

Merkelbach and Wick was a manufacturer that was founded in 1872 and ran until 1921-1922 when they were merged into Wick-Werke

http://www.steinmarks.co.uk/pages/pv.asp?p=stein165

GP

Excellent info GP, much appreciated :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy said:
Hey HB, I think you may have a killer piece there. It is certainly a figural Stein, a Rook from a chessboard. How much does it hold? 1/2L? 1/3 or 1/4L?

-Buckles

It's a 1/2 L stein Buck and is a killer piece, I have only been able to find one that sold.
From the Kovels website


Category Steins
Pattern or Item Rook
Description Stoneware, J. Reinemann, 1/2 Liter
Year Priced 2000
Price $1555.00

Who da thunk a stein could have that kind of value?
I think I'm a stein collector now :laughing9:
 
Upvote 0
J. Reinemann, Munchen
Gesetzlich, Geschutzt

I'll admit to not clicking on all the links, so this may have been covered, but you know the "Munchen" is the city of Munich, right?

What a neat stein!!
 
Upvote 0
TOP NOTCH, HB!!! Where the heck did you score that? Yard sale? If you paid less than a dollar for it, it's a Banner find. :notworthy:

:wink:
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
TOP NOTCH, HB!!! Where the heck did you score that? Yard sale? If you paid less than a dollar for it, it's a Banner find. :notworthy:

:wink:
Too bad they only post MD finds to the banner.

Nice stein for sure. :thumbsup: great find.
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
TOP NOTCH, HB!!! Where the heck did you score that? Yard sale? If you paid less than a dollar for it, it's a Banner find. :notworthy:

:wink:

It was brought back from Germany after WWII by my grandfather.
He gave it to my parents and they gave it to me. They may have kept it had they known what it was worth.
So it's not Banner worthy :laughing9:
HB
Thanks diggumup :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
HILL BILLY said:
BuckleBoy said:
TOP NOTCH, HB!!! Where the heck did you score that? Yard sale? If you paid less than a dollar for it, it's a Banner find. :notworthy:

:wink:

It was brought back from Germany after WWII by my grandfather.
He gave it to my parents and they gave it to me. They may have kept it had they known what it was worth.
So it's not Banner worthy :laughing9:
HB
Thanks diggumup :thumbsup:

If you ever drink out of it, make sure you put a good beer in it. :wink:
 
Upvote 0
HILL BILLY said:
It was brought back from Germany after WWII by my grandfather.
He gave it to my parents and they gave it to me. They may have kept it had they known what it was worth.
That sounds just like family! :laughing7: What's the old saying? You can pick your friends but you can't pick your family. :o
 
Upvote 0
diggummup said:
BuckleBoy said:
TOP NOTCH, HB!!! Where the heck did you score that? Yard sale? If you paid less than a dollar for it, it's a Banner find. :notworthy:

:wink:
Too bad they only post MD finds to the banner.

Nice stein for sure. :thumbsup: great find.

Not true. I had a killer piece of stoneware up on the banner. And Native American artifacts go up there from time to time. I'm convinced that one of these days a yard sale find will make it--if it is valuable enough. :)

HB, that's great that you got a great heirloom there.

-Buck
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
diggummup said:
BuckleBoy said:
TOP NOTCH, HB!!! Where the heck did you score that? Yard sale? If you paid less than a dollar for it, it's a Banner find. :notworthy:

:wink:
Too bad they only post MD finds to the banner.

Nice stein for sure. :thumbsup: great find.

Not true. I had a killer piece of stoneware up on the banner. And Native American artifacts go up there from time to time. I'm convinced that one of these days a yard sale find will make it--if it is valuable enough. :)

HB, that's great that you got a great heirloom there.

-Buck
That's good to know, I forgot there have been some nice rare points up there in the past. I can only hope one day that a yard sale find will make it up there. I don't know if value should come into play I think it should be more of a rarity issue or historical value or maybe a combination of all. There have been plenty of banner finds that are not that valuable but the history and the rarity of the item is what makes it a "banner" find.
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
diggummup said:
BuckleBoy said:
TOP NOTCH, HB!!! Where the heck did you score that? Yard sale? If you paid less than a dollar for it, it's a Banner find. :notworthy:

:wink:
Too bad they only post MD finds to the banner.

Nice stein for sure. :thumbsup: great find.

Not true. I had a killer piece of stoneware up on the banner. And Native American artifacts go up there from time to time. I'm convinced that one of these days a yard sale find will make it--if it is valuable enough. :)

HB, that's great that you got a great heirloom there.

-Buck

Thanks Buck :thumbsup:
After speaking with David Harr I found out that he knows the guy who paid 1550$ back in 2000.
He also told me he only knows of three of these Rook steins, I'm number three.
I have had a couple interested buyers offering 400-600 for mine, I'm going to pass.
I'd say it would do better at auction, the stein is mint, no chips or cracks...perfect.

Hill
 
Upvote 0
You are right. It would do better at auction, even with the auction house's cut. Save and enjoy. Knowledge is power, and you know what you have now. :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

BB
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom