Get it while I can!!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hello again fellow TNetters! Just one more chance before the foot of snow hits tonight. Thats all I needed to get out and gather up some more booty from down below the surface of Mother Earth :icon_pirat:

I figured I might as well try and find a privy while the snow is away. I had one day off to be able to get out and give it a try. So I went to a home that we had been before and poked around. In fact three of us poked this yard all over the place. It was hard at the time and today was much easier with the recent snow melt. So I just told myself that I would grid it out and start probing up and down the yard waiting for any possible difference in the soil texture/ strata. I got to the point where I was not even looking at the tip of the probe for the soil sample, just probe, probe, probe.... :tard:

After what seemed like an eternity :BangHead: I hit a spot in the center of the yard near a buried sidewalk. So I made several other probes and finally hit glass and bricks at 4 plus feet down. This had to be it :headbang: So I was by myself on this one as Don was busy for the day. I broke ground and busted through the now two layers of sidewalk :o Strange that there was one sidewalk about 4 inches below the surface and then another sidewalk below that one another few inches.

At around 4 feet I hit the beginning of the "Use Layer" and slowed down a bit as I was beat by now. Got my smaller rake out and starting popping out china plates, pottery and shattered glass all over the place. By the time it was all said and done the layer was almost 2 feet thick. :icon_thumleft:

Found a killer amber pint blob beer and several ink wells. The best one was the nice Hinge Mold 12 paneled ink. I also found a really cool medicine that has the words " Occidit QuiNon Servat on one side. The other sides say Grebehahn Sohn J.G.G. and the other side says, Universal Balsam J.M. GrebeHahn Reichmannsdorf 35...I love finding new and strange bottles. This one is obviously from Germany...Maybe ???

There certainly was a pile of glass and plateware in this pit that included monogram china that was personalized. These people had some cash thats for sure by the shear amount of items in the pit. I concluded the day with a visit by another digging buddy who helped dig out the last few items. He grabbed up the nice pickle pusher and I grabbed up the Hostetters Bitters! It was a great day to start off digging in 2012. I never would have thought I would get out this early in the year. We are normally knee deep in the snow and the ground frozen hard as a rock. I am glad Mother Nature has treated us well so far...Now bring on the Blizzard :tongue3: Happy New Year Everyone and I hope this year brings some great finds for all of you :thumbsup: jgas

Attachments

• c1.JPG
    c1.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 745
  • c10.JPG
    c10.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 734
  • c9.JPG
    c9.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 724
  • c8.JPG
    c8.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 724
  • c7.JPG
    c7.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 759
  • c6.JPG
    c6.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 741
  • c5.JPG
    c5.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 726
  • c4.JPG
    c4.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 739
  • c3.JPG
    c3.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 732
  • c2.JPG
    c2.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 739
  • c12.JPG
    c12.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 759
  • c11.JPG
    c11.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 751
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A few more pics..Thanks for checking them out! Jgas

Attachments

• c16.JPG
    c16.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 756
  • c15.JPG
    c15.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 764
  • c14.JPG
    c14.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 752
  • c13.JPG
    c13.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 774
  • c17.JPG
    c17.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 753

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First Rate Post! :hello2:

One day, I will find an ink like that. It's on my list. :icon_pirat:

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gas, I'll forgive ya this time :wink: but only because I got to detect this morning. Bottles here are still about 4 months away >:( You managed to make my eyes turn green ,,,, love that drippy neck on the umbrella ink :icon_thumright: ,,,, well being a bottleologist also, I love em all,big ,little ,short or tall :icon_pirat: Congrats on another good hole !!!! HD P.S. What no jugs again ???

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you find out or know that there was a bottle dump there? Just records or asking around? Pretty amazing recoveries, I don't collect bottles anymore but I used to so I appreciate them.

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent dig jgas!! I'm still trying to get up the courage to knock on some doors, lol. "Can I dig the old privy in your back yard?" is not the best way to ask for permission :wink: .

Take care and HH!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jgas,
You should have your own show, "Extreme Privy Diggers". :laughing9: Digging anything in Northern Indiana in mid-Jan is unheard of. That ground should be rock solid. Way to get one last dig in.
Way to go on locating the spot and finding some awesome bottles. :hello2:
On average with two guys, how long does it take to dig a hole that size to get down to the glass?
Great post, :occasion14:
Doug

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's incredible , better word yet ... Extreme :o :o Privy Diggers Show !!! like it absolutely agree with quote from MM Dug :laughing7: I like the umbrella inks , found one the easy way , in a crawlspace of an 1800's house . Always interesting threads and Many More of those Great bottle saves in 2012 :thumbsup: dawg

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the replies guys. Hey Dug, that ground was as soft as butter after the recent thaw. Now I stare out the window to see 6 inches of snow. Crazy Lake Effect around here. It took me about 3 to 4 hours to do this one and that was mostly by myself. Typical digs with two of us last around 3 hours.

As far as finding this pit it was just my stupid determination I guess :BangHead: I probed a bunch but it paid off in the end.

As far as permission goes, I am in the process of making a busines card of sorts to hand out and I also take lots of photo's as you can tell. I show them what we do and offer them some finds. Most people are really interested in History, most likely due to all the shows on TV about the History of America. I always said there will be a show on TV about digging these pits. I think it would be cool to travel around the country and dig :thumbsup: Thanks again for all the kind replies everyone, C'mom Spring!!!! jgas

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, you are my hero! :headbang:

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds for sure. Some real nice bottles you pulled out of there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread