going to Herkimer next week to dig.

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!

gord

Mar 30, 2005
London, ON
Rumblebelly said:
Has anyone been to either of the mines in Herkimer? What have been your results/finds?
Almost 50 years ago - Ace of Diamonds cost us $5/day. After 4-5 hours with a star drill we opened a vug; lots of mud, about a pound of crystals.

Upvote 0

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
My husband and I had great luck a few years ago.
The mine right across the street from the KOA campground. We found one perfect specimen in mine #1..................BUT......we hit a mother load in mine #2. Make sure you visit the jewelry store there, 'cuz they have a pretty neat museum.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Upvote 0

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go there yearly as I only live 2 hours south. Had some good finds and some not so good, but always had fun. Look for the rocks with lots of tiny black holes and go to town. And if you find any that formed attached to the rock, don't try to pry them out, being quartz crystal they break easily, leave them in, they make great displays still in the matrix. And most of all.....GOOD LUCK!!!

Upvote 0

lordpiney

Aug 12, 2009
i have a claim in fonda. i have lots and lots or herkermers! here's a couple of pics...
DSC01642.jpg

DSC01638-1.jpg

Upvote 0

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
lordpiney said:
i have a claim in fonda. i have lots and lots or herkermers! here's a couple of pics...
DSC01642.jpg

DSC01638-1.jpg
Is that first pic a cluster? And if it is, would you consider selling it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rumblebelly

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!
sorry for the long delay on getting back to you guys. I was hoping to figure out the new digital camera to show pictures. I'm still working on it.

Most of our crystals we found are very small, less than half the size of a "BB". We found about 30 or so stones there. We only mined for 1 day. The second day rained all day so we went to Lake Placid. Either way it was a lot of fun and much harder than I thought it would be. We did also take some mud and rock home that had promise. We found about another 20 or so pieces, again very tiny. We did have 3 piece made into jewelry at the mine. The place was great. There was a local removing a piece of wall for a pocket that was there. I would have like to see the end result but said it was a nother day or too away from getting to it. He was very helpful in pointing me in the right direction and what to look for.

My wife and I would certainly do it again.

I will post pictures when I figure out the camera.... promise

Rumblebelly

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread