Going to turkey to Metal Detect? Maybe not

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Hmmm, interesting. So maybe those guys md'ing in Turkey aren't "doing it illegally" afterall. (Oh SAY IT ISN'T So! :hello:)

As for the part of "with a permit" (or permission or inquire at each location type of stuff), gee, that doesn't sound very different than some of the states on the FMDAC list for the USA, eh? You know, the "inquire at each kiosk" or "with permission from each district park's sector supervisor", blah blah blah. And as far as permits, gee, so too is there cities and counties who have invented such things. And no, they're not hard to obtain.

But back to the Los Angeles consulate's answer, a few observations:

a) I notice that the words: "treasure" is used. So ..... I wonder what would happen if you went to apply for this permission/permit thing, that ..... if you were to tell them "oh, well... I'm not really looking for "TREASURE" per se, but rather for individual fumble fingers modern coins and/or jewelry, from the modern beach" I wonder if they would laugh you out of the office, and say that hardly merits "treasure".

b) I still wonder if this applies to private land? Maybe such an answer is talking about public land ?

c) I notice the person answering does not cite any rule or law, to reference the answer they give you. Thus I wonder if that is really written anywhere? I guess it must be, if there's a known or established "permit" that's apparently out there? If so, I'd wonder what the permit paperwork looks like. Because perhaps that has more info. on what you can do, what they mean by "treasure", and so forth.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I didn't find anyone at the Defense Language Institute here in Monterey, to translate the Turkish yet. I spoke to some fellows there studying other languages, who agreed to put me in contact with someone in the dept. that teaches Turkish. But as of yet ..... have not gotten any reply to that yet. I will report back here when I get that link translated.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
post-script x2: I notice they reference the "museum".... as one of the entities who can give the permission etc... The other entity is "the government". I would choose the govt, rather than the museum. Because .... "museum" conjurs up images of archaeologists, who .... of course .... hate md'rs.

But the fact that they tell you "either/or" (as if you have a choice, etc...) makes me wonder if this is really an established permit, and this whole answer of his is actually really written down anywhere? Perhaps when the question was received by the consulate, their knee-jerk envisionment was big-ticket items, and archie digs and stuff. So when they search too and fro for your answer, they come across things meant to apply to ship-wreck salvor stuff, etc... Thus when you show up ready to hunt your brother in laws furroughed field for loose change, perhaps they laugh you out of their office?

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm, interesting. So maybe those guys md'ing in Turkey aren't "doing it illegally" afterall. (Oh SAY IT ISN'T So! :hello:)

As for the part of "with a permit" (or permission or inquire at each location type of stuff), gee, that doesn't sound very different than some of the states on the FMDAC list for the USA, eh? You know, the "inquire at each kiosk" or "with permission from each district park's sector supervisor", blah blah blah. And as far as permits, gee, so too is there cities and counties who have invented such things. And no, they're not hard to obtain.

But back to the Los Angeles consulate's answer, a few observations:

a) I notice that the words: "treasure" is used. So ..... I wonder what would happen if you went to apply for this permission/permit thing, that ..... if you were to tell them "oh, well... I'm not really looking for "TREASURE" per se, but rather for individual fumble fingers modern coins and/or jewelry, from the modern beach" I wonder if they would laugh you out of the office, and say that hardly merits "treasure".

b) I still wonder if this applies to private land? Maybe such an answer is talking about public land ?

c) I notice the person answering does not cite any rule or law, to reference the answer they give you. Thus I wonder if that is really written anywhere? I guess it must be, if there's a known or established "permit" that's apparently out there? If so, I'd wonder what the permit paperwork looks like. Because perhaps that has more info. on what you can do, what they mean by "treasure", and so forth.
Yes, this sounds like more someone's opinion than legal reference.
The word "treasure" is so vague and indefinite for legal verbiage.
But then again abroad, they've always liked the "proclamations".
Why can't they sight their specific laws?
Thanks dirtfisher. Quite the quest!
Ray
Ray

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Yes, this sounds like more someone's opinion than legal reference.
The word "treasure" is so vague and indefinite for legal verbiage.
But then again abroad, they've always liked the "proclamations".
Why can't they sight their specific laws?
Thanks dirtfisher. Quite the quest!
Ray
Ray

Thanx Ray. yes, whenever this subject comes up, and someone finds themselves a "no" or "with permission from each kiosk /park manager", etc... it is always interesting to wonder if that is really a "law", or just someone morphing something ELSE they think applies. Or someone just giving their personal "take" on your question ?

Thus, I'd like to see where all this stuff this person says, is written.

Perhaps in that Link that's in Turkish? As soon as I get it translated, I'll post here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dirtfisher23

Jul 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What bothers me is that they keep avoiding the issue of "beach" detecting. I even sent
some photos of people DETECTING on the beach. I don't have a great deal of
confidence in any of their replies.

Greece, Turkeys neighbor has similar problems with people bringing metal detectors.
Read what happened when THIS guy brought his detector to Crete:

http://www.thisishullandeastriding....tory-11967603-detail/story.html#axzz2ajsxUawb

Dirtfisher23

Last edited:

Rogerv

Jan 25, 2013
Beltsville Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garret GTA-1000
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Bounty Hunter (came as BOGO from Kellyco)
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why would you want to go to a country that generally hates Americans. The only reason they tolerate us is like most of the muslem country's we pay them Billions in aid to be our friend. While cutting back our own citizens jobs and programs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread