Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Another great weekend for yard sales!

Picked up a 10K ring, 5.4 dwt, tested real (paid $3, melts at $160). Picked up a bunch of 925 rings, chains, and earrings (my wife laid claim to 1 of the chains w/ CZ charm). 3 of the rings turned out to be fake but the rest was over 20 grams of sterling (unfortunately overpaid $11 total, cant win em all). Got a nice German beer stein for 2 bucks for a friend. Got a pair of brass/bronze ash buckets/planters made in Holland by "Delta" with porcelain handles (paid $5 for the pair). Bought a 1935 Mercury Dime for $2 in a loc-tite plastic case (I paid spot and got the case for free basically). Got an early "Brookfield" glass insulator with bubbles for $2. Lastly, picked up a 1987-S Consitution Commemorative Silver Dollar PROOF in original case (missing COA) for $1!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2254insul1.jpg
    IMG_2254insul1.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 855
  • IMG_2255925.jpg
    IMG_2255925.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_2256delta.jpg
    IMG_2256delta.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 857
jerseyben said:
Got a pair of brass/bronze ash buckets/planters made in Holland by "Delta" with porcelain handles (paid $5 for the pair).
Ben, are you going to "recycle" those brass pieces? My local buyer always tests the rolled rim with a magnet and most of the time it sticks. The makers usually put heavy steel wire in the rim to stiffen it. I always check when I buy knowing I will have to remove it before I go to the recyclers.

cyberdan said:
jerseyben said:
Got a pair of brass/bronze ash buckets/planters made in Holland by "Delta" with porcelain handles (paid $5 for the pair).
Ben, are you going to "recycle" those brass pieces? My local buyer always tests the rolled rim with a magnet and most of the time it sticks. The makers usually put heavy steel wire in the rim to stiffen it. I always check when I buy knowing I will have to remove it before I go to the recyclers.

I know what you mean regarding the magnetic rim on brass items as I have encountered several myself. In fact, I just checked and sure enough a magnet sticks right to the rolled rim on the ash buckets. I normally attempt to sell an item for its collector value whole before scrapping it. However, if its melt value surpasses collector value I am not opposed to recycling it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back