🥇 BANNER GOLD COIN...BOOYEAH!!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It only took 8 years but this afternoon I found my first gold coin. I had a friend down to detect some "old faithful" areas as the "good" sites are still not available. This is the same friend who found the 2 cannonballs on my site the last time he was here to detect...same site too! The day started pretty slow and I was somewhat disappointed that the sites I had been hoping for were not available. I did have the backup plan and we executed that. Phil started with a couple coppers and I with a button and a musket ramrod thimble. Phil called me over to pinpoint a target in his hole and when I was walking away I got a nice solid signal. It was pinpointing about four inches down so I cut a nice wide plug. I flipped it over and just about freaked out! There was some profanity involved when I saw the distinct gleam of gold on the plug! I grabbed a couple insitu shots and id'd it as a Victorian 1870 Sovereign! Some knuckle head in the past soldered a loop on it to wear on a chain which was his downfall and my fortune!

Attachments

• j71hi.jpg
    j71hi.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 604
  • yibows.jpg
    yibows.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 578
  • 407ogd.jpg
    407ogd.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 552
  • m2efv.jpg
    m2efv.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 554
  • bpejq.jpg
    bpejq.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:
Upvote 35

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup:...well at least it has a nice "handle".....:laughing7:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly, no loop, no coin, its a blessing. CONGRATS on your first, may it open the flood gates........

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly, no loop, no coin, its a blessing. CONGRATS on your first, may it open the flood gates........

Yep...I'll bet the guy who lost it was cursing as much as I was when I found it!

detector dave

Dec 23, 2007
between Cadillac and Big Rapids
Detector(s) used
whites 6000 & spectrum
romeo-1 said:
It only took 8 years but this afternoon I found my first gold coin. I had a friend down to detect some "old faithful" areas as the "good" sites are still not available. This is the same friend who found the 2 cannonballs on my site the last time he was here to detect...same site too! The day started pretty slow and I was somewhat disappointed that the sites I had been hoping for were not available. I did have the backup plan and we executed that. Phil started with a couple coppers and I with a button and a musket ramrod thimble. Phil called me over to pinpoint a target in his hole and when I was walking away I got a nice solid signal. It was pinpointing about four inches down so I cut a nice wide plug. I flipped it over and just about freaked out! There was some profanity involved when I saw the distinct gleam of gold on the plug! I grabbed a couple insitu shots and id'd it as a Victorian 1870 Sovereign! Some knuckle head in the past soldered a loop on it to wear on a chain which was his downfall and my fortune!

Nice find! I would have had a heart attack! !

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

novafinder

Mar 18, 2011
nova scotia
Detector(s) used
teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now that right there is a heart stopper, great find congrats id wish you luck in your next hunt but i think you already have luck on your side !

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if I hadn't found the gold coin these two finds would have made my day...I love finding musket parts.

Attachments

• DRW260.gif
    DRW260.gif
    23.7 KB · Views: 446
  • pvwva.jpg
    pvwva.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tectin gods were good to you, 8 short years and a gold coin. I know some guys who detected 25 years and no gold coin.... Congrats!

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweeeet !!!! Congrats !!!! still waiting for my 1st gold coin

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
You gotta love it when "Old Faithful" gives you your first gold coin! I am on year six with a metal detector and the only gold of any kind came this summer in the shape of a wedding band. As CRUSADER said above. I hope this opens the flood gates for you:headbang:

VPR

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet find at least you have spoon parts to scrap your drawers clean after that coin

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That must have been quite a site to see in the dirt. I bet you did the ole.... Is that what I ^$%%EN think it is! :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep, I've said that before... you can't really curse what gave you the opportunity to find it.

GoGoGopher

Jun 24, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac - 11" Pro, 6" EQ2 coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The day I find a Gold coin, I am gonna hafta sell all my equipment and find a new hobby..."How can you top a find like that!"

HH,

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm surprised nobody voted BANNER, Well, IMO anybody digging up a gold coin is still a rarity, with or without a chain, and that's "banner material" in my book. Banner vote from me, congrats.............Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread