Chemeng

Greenie
Dec 22, 2020
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our property was a garbage dumpsite 100 years ago and I have found numerous silver items including coins and spoons. I recently told my wife half jokingly I would find her some gold. I did not expect what turned up with my search. I found a dental plate made of 16K or 18K yellow dental gold. The teeth look like they may be made of ivory. I was amazed how shiny gold can be after being buried all these years. I'm bitten (ha ha) by the gold bug now. IMG_0001.JPG IMG_20210107_1115530.jpg IMG_20210107_1116140.jpg

Upvote 31

BLACKIE555

Dec 6, 2020
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow...that's a find you can really sink your teeth into.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be "chomping at the bit" to find something like that ! Nice find.

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find! Curious as to the weight of the gold.

aj

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That certainly is a palateable find!

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You really can't take it with you.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well that's one for the books - never seen one dug before - congrats on a unique find !

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
If you're interested, in 2008 or 09 we found a plate while scuba diving in Long Island Sound. It was missing teeth but the ones that were there were yellow and split. We didn't even know what it was until we got back to the boat because of the muddy bottom and almost 0 visibility. I'm pretty sure this is where we sent a picture and they identified as a type that was only made up until the 1840's. The teeth were yellow because they were ivory. Your plate is much larger, you can try to research if you like. https://www.dental.umaryland.edu/museum/visit-us/ . Its not the only Dental Museum, just do a search. By the way, two scrappers wouldn't take it because of what it was, in the end we removed the teeth and bent it up to disguise it.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's a really unique plate, usually it's just the god teeth, but this one is the plate being gold. Congrats on the recovery
I begs the question why were they thrown out, clean up of a estate/deceased family member and it was just thrown in the garbage ?Can almost hear them saying-eewww gross :tongue3: throw those disgusting things in the garbage.

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our property was a garbage dumpsite 100 years ago and I have found numerous silver items including coins and spoons. I recently told my wife half jokingly I would find her some gold. I did not expect what turned up with my search. I found a dental plate made of 16K or 18K yellow dental gold.

So is she wearing them? :bom:

Nice find!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'd have it tested. I've got a few caps that look gold but are tin. Hope it gold. Interesting find.:icon_thumright:

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Nice conversation piece for the ages. I love old dump sites ... lucky you to have one out the back door. :icon_thumleft:

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder here if it is gold . Gold is malleable enough to be formed to the palate but if thick would be heavy especially compared to the acrylic and alloys used today. If it is gold it is indeed a remarkable find and if not it is still very cool . As far as age my guess would be very general ; maybe 1700’s ?? . An online search reveals porcelain teeth were set in gold plates during that time period . If gold whoever had them made was well off. Into the 1800’s vulcanized rubber was used . So again a great find and if gold this should easily be considered a “ banner” find .

Last edited:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now this is a unique find.

I can imagine someone setting them on the bed side table or vanity after a bender and them slipping into the trash can. The next day spent in recovery and sleep while everything gets cleaned up and tossed by the "staff". The owner may not have even remembered if they made it home with them.
(The movie "The Hangover" comes to mind for some reason.)

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
If you're interested, in 2008 or 09 we found a plate while scuba diving in Long Island Sound. It was missing teeth but the ones that were there were yellow and split. We didn't even know what it was until we got back to the boat because of the muddy bottom and almost 0 visibility. I'm pretty sure this is where we sent a picture and they identified as a type that was only made up until the 1840's. The teeth were yellow because they were ivory. Your plate is much larger, you can try to research if you like. https://www.dental.umaryland.edu/museum/visit-us/ . Its not the only Dental Museum, just do a search. By the way, two scrappers wouldn't take it because of what it was, in the end we removed the teeth and bent it up to disguise it.

This is where we got the info on a plate we found off shore at a 1800's swim platform site. I had some of the details wrong because so many years have past. This isn't my find, my dive partner found it on our first time out together.

teeth.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread