Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yup! Low inflation means you don't need an inflation hedge. Mixed with the non news from Cyprus eariler this week and Gold had a bad week.

Does that mean you should hold onto you gold finds to sell at another time? Probabaly not. Gold, like all commodities is unpredicible in price. Next year it could be $1900 an ounce or $1100. No way to know. And, with the future being unknowable it is better, with short term assets, to have the bird in hand, so to speak. That is, if you are not a long term holder of the asset, be it Gold or any other asset, the best day to sell it is today. If you don't sell you end up playing a game. A trap! That is, if the price goes up, you will wait until it goes up more. Greed has a way of doing that. Worse, if the price goes down, you now play get evenitis. That is, you don't want to admit you screwed up by not selling so you wait in hopes the price recovers. If Gold is in a long term down trend that could be a long and expensive wait.

Selling today is a form of risk management. You don't have to remake what you don't lose.

The message is simple - what you found was a gift, take it and run. Or, put it in a safe place and forget you own it.

One other point to be made is that finding a reliable source to sell your Gold will have more of an impact on your returns than the day to day pricing.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well if kruggerands get to $300 again I'm gonna buy a bunch! This time I have some cash.

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at it on the bright side - lower gold prices could mean less hunters at the beach as well as more people buying (and then losing) gold jewelry as it becomes more affordable. :occasion14:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold will be increase 2000$

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hmmm, whom to put my trust in?

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure of that:laughing7: Politic economic:coins:

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The price of gold is either going to go up or down...I guarantee it.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
hmmm, whom to put my trust in?

Jeff, that's always a good question! For our purposes, treasure hunting, really it's more common sense than trust. It's not like we have hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line. We usually are talking hundreds, not thousands. We start with nothing, and then find something of value. Some of us have no intention of ever selling, so the item's current worth doesn't matter. For those who are going to sell, the commodity price changing say 10 or 20% shouldn't matter as well. I mean really does it matter if you get only $270 for your gift find rather than $300? Not really!

And, again the biggest factor in selling Gold for melt is the percentage of current market value you receive. That has a far bigger impact on your pocket than the the commodity's day to day pricing.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any way you look at it ..... you are getting 100% return on your finds. Odd.... we follow gold and panic but believe our paper money is worth its face value and complain about food and every thing going up. Unfortunately, detecting has been noticed as an activity to be enjoyed on the beach now. The best we can hope for is people continue to say im not going to pay that much for a detector and keep using their golf swing.

Dew

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
The gold will be increase 2000$

not anytime soon.

there is tremendous short interest on gold and now that the multiyear support line has fallen, the bears will want to ride the price down to capitalize on their gains.

look down below in the near future. $1200 is possible.

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when gold was alot lower, and years back thought well it's never to get high and then bam it was up to 500 an ounce, and who ever thought it would be almost up to 2000 an ounce, now it's droping it's still higher than it's ever been, so be happy at what it is right now, like Dew said we are making a 100% right now, HH people

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't matter how low Gold drop. You are going to make 100% profit off your finds !!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
im willing to bet you will see gold at $3000 + within the next 5years

yeah like we will know where you are in 5 years.
what's it gonna do in the next 6 months?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And to think we all got excited when gold topped $400 an ounce. Yes, I remember that well, I have the nightmare every time I think back to the day when I sold quite a large collection at $385 an ounce and thought I was making out like a bandit. :BangHead: :laughing7:

I have my doubts that we won't see another run on gold in the next few years, the world economy obviously not being near what they say it is and the threat upon the U.S. dollar continuing to climb. As it stands right now the dollar is still the world currency but that could soon start to take on change. Only time will tell. In the mean time, swing and dig, swing and dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions