Gold Prospecting - Yukon

RookmanGold

Dec 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am doing some research into visiting the Yukon next summer. Currently thinking of flying to Whitehorse and then driving to Dawson City... can anyone recommend anywhere to gold prospect for a couple of days? Ideally where I could rent a sluice etc. as I will be travelling from Europe... any contacts / thoughts appreciated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You might have more responses and maybe some offers to be on someone else's claim if you post your question on the Canadian Gold Prospectors Forum...just google "GPEX".

Good luck.

PS: From what I understand, stream sluices are prohibited in at least one Province (B.C.) and possibly more Provinces or Territories so check the laws for where you will be if not just Yukon Territory.

Last edited:

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Show up, ask around town, etc. and I'm sure you won't have any problems getting some info? If I ever go up I'd like to see Tonys' dredge in operation..........

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will also be in the Yukon for a while next summer as part of a trip to western Canada and Alaska. I’d love some tips too!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tips: be prepared for Mosquitos, Black Fly's, No-See-Um's. Have a set of the toughest net head cover and net jacket that you can find in a tough plastic zip lock bag drip some of the insect repellent onto each of the net covers and keep the set in the plastic bag. Have it at the ready whenever you go outside, wear a wide brimmed hat to keep the net off of your face. Note: the insect preparation is a good rule of thumb and putting the repellent onto the net units keeps it from drying out your skin!! Also, the insect repellent is ~100% DEET and it is not good for humans. REI carries insect repellent called Jungle Juice = 100% DEET. The insects can be unmerciful !! Sunburn's are not uncommon up there so lotion up. Have a can or Two of BEAR Repellent with you.
( ~ $50.00 lower 48 states, likely a lot more up there but check on-line for it ). There's a lot of food in the water so consider a fishing license, out of state or out of country likely to be expensive but it would be fresh food that you will not need to carry with you. When in Alaska I used a dead tree limb for a rod and about 12' of 10lb test line, some small hooks, fish eggs and had no trouble catching fish as long as the knots were tied properly. A couple of plastic bobbers and some split shot would complete the fishing outfit. Oh, and a sharp knife! Note: if you happen to skin any animal with fur you'd better bring a knife sharpener, the fur dulls the blade.

Then be careful of the - Bears (black or brown), Moose, Wolves, etc. If you do not have an odor proof and VERY TOUGH MILITARY AMMO BOX for storing your food in then have a 50' length of 3/16" (4.8 mm) steel aircraft quality cable, each end of which has crimped loops at each end, two small carabineer's and a small ~ $15.00 climbing pulley along with a 50' to 100' length of 1/4" parachute cord. Typical tie the parachute cord to a rock, throw the rock over a limb, tie one end of the cord to the loop at one end of the cable and start pulling the cable over the limb. Before the second looped end comes off the ground clip the pulley to the loop and loop about 30' of parachute cord through the pulley and then pull the cable up till the parachute cord is about at your waist. Tie the pulley cord to a tree or weight it down, wrap the other end of the steel cable around a tree and secure with the 2nd carabineer to itself. Now tie a food bag onto the cord and raise it up to the pulley, take the loose end of the cord slip it through the draw cord loop of the food bag. Keeping the upper food bag all the way up there and lift the second bag up as high as you can and tie a slip knot into the parachute cord, loosely stuff the remaining cord into the lower food bag BUT tie a loop at the end of this cord and leave it dangling on the outside of the bag (this loop is how you get the bags down with the same stick you use to push the second food bag up). This will usually have the bags 10' to 12' off the ground. The cable over the limb should be at least 4' from the trunk of the tree. The bears do not like to break their teeth, cut their tounge/lip/gums on the cable and will usually leave it alone. The Carabineer can be a hardware store steel type or one from a climbing store, your choice.

It can rain up there in the summer. A good tent with no holes in the bug netting is a great thing to sleep in. A good rain fly keeps the rain out. If you come down with "Beaver Fever" (Diarrhea) you can take ONE of those pain pills you kept from your last surgery and they will pretty well plug you up. So, FILTER YOUR DRINKING WATER!!!!! Good matches along with a Butane Lighter and some good fire starters will start a fire if you must use wet wood and the fire will keep you warm and dry your clothes if it should rain (keep the matches dry). If your tent has aluminum poles and if you are camped up high where the tent is the highest thing, being in the tent in a thunder and lightning storm is not a good idea. A roll of Duct Tape might come in handy for patching holes in mosquito netting or holes or tears in rain fly's, I don't think it sticks well in the rain.

Depending on where you are you should check with the local authorities about poison Ivy or poison Oak or other types of bad for human plants. Have a good first aid kit with the proper stuff in it.

Have Fun!....................63bkpkr

And - here is a picture of my Bear Resistant food bag system described above along with a few bottles of Cayenne Pepper with Easy Unscrew Lids that I always carry with me out there and in town. When Out There were I to be approached by any four or two footed critters, the pepper when thrown into the footed things eyes/nose/mouth will "distract them" from you for a bit which gives one a few moments to pull up their pants and then administer whatever is required.

IMG_3607.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
RookmanGold

RookmanGold

Dec 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And watch out for people that'll rip off /scam you ! they ought to be out there in force!

The people are more scary than the bears :) I have a nose for that type of thing.. thanks for your concern.. all that glitters is not gold :)

OP
OP
RookmanGold

RookmanGold

Dec 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You might have more responses and maybe some offers to be on someone else's claim if you post your question on the Canadian Gold Prospectors Forum...just google "GPEX".

Good luck.

PS: From what I understand, stream sluices are prohibited in at least one Province (B.C.) and possibly more Provinces or Territories so check the laws for where you will be if not just Yukon Territory.

Thanks for the tip arizau... I find it quite entertaining that one man stream sluices are banned when the big boys in canada use whatever machinery they can find.. ho hum

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions