SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basic Detecting Data: M-6, Dayton Ohio suburb, 2" of topsoil over clay, Winter 2007, 38 degrees F, grade school side area by basketball courts

I am very lucky this week:

I was showing my new Whites M-6 to my son from Texas. He got tired of using it and let me show him how to use it correctly. I decided to go straight along the basketball court edge. We found nickels, dimes, and the gold wedding ring shown below. It is 10K Gold with RMI printed also in small type. I don't think the text is the owner. In my ring the inscription is much bigger and has my wife's initials, too.

It was found 1-2 inches deep touching the asphalt court. My VDI reading was between +14/+16 with a solid sound and full bar.

I found the gold ring 30 paces East of the heavy silver ring find earlier this week (see other post). Notice the asphalt court edge along the left side of grassy area picture. I was so excited I grabbed the ring and put it on my finger, then remembered you all and laid it back down for the picture. It is thin band so I put it on the thick face to show better.

My son now thinks you find a ring every week. He was also surprised to see the nickels coming out colored deep reddish brown. He decided he loves the pin pointer. He thinks it saves a lot of time in the hole. I think he is hooked to detecting.

This winter hunting is great.
Terry

Attachments

• Gold Ring compared to Heavy Silver Ring.jpg
    Gold Ring compared to Heavy Silver Ring.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 825
  • Gold Ring.jpg
    Gold Ring.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 828
  • Backetball court.JPG
    Backetball court.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 811
Upvote 0
S

seger98

A man out detecting in 38 degree weather..... And I thought I was the only one out there like that, Congratulaions on your finds!

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an M6 also and if not for the patience of my hunting partner, I would have given up. The machine is awesome but it takes a while and patience to understand each type of feedback on the screen and the audibles.

If you really wanna kick some clad butt, get the 4X6 coil. I rarely use anything else with it now. If you are in a trashy area like a park and everything is close together, you can single out just what you want to dig. And now that your son has a pinpointer, he will be hooked like the rest of us!

And finding two rings in one day is almost like lightning striking twice...if he finds a ring a week I'm movin' to his home town!

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the second ring.The gold is nice but I realy like that silver one best !

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow ! very nice rings ;) you guys are doing very well congrats ;D

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Searching around Basketball courts are usually good places.
The people waiting to play and the girlfriend spectators
usually sit along side, maybe in the shade and rings are lost.

I hit one this year that yealded 4 rings.

Great find Terry!! Congrats on the sweet goldie!!

:) BDoo

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Lord of the Rings!!! ;D
Those are two beauties for sure. Congrats to you. Diamonds are next. ;)
-MM-

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
WTG!! I'll definitely have to check the B-Ball courts a little better. I did find a large SS Cross this season next to a court. Most of ours here are hard clay though, no grass to be found. Congrats on a great find!

HH,
Moon

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Nice post,Congrats on the gold Terry wtg, the silver ring is very nice too. Happy New Year, good luck in '08
HH
Glenn

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
CONGRATS!

Nice rings ... and nice post with all the info and photos.

Thanks, and HH Joe

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several times I have found items along the very edges of bball courts and sidewalks in parks. Seems not many have hunted these areas previously for some reason. Most of the courts here are concrete and have rebars. It took me a few outings to be able to pick out the goodies from the false readings of the imbedded rebars. Those very small coils are ideal for those situations I have discovered. Nice finds. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread