What's new

Golden spike?

IronSpike

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2009
Messages
3,142
Reaction score
61
Golden Thread
0
Location
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this gold relic on quick hunt this morning. At first thought it was a piece of lead, but could this be a tip of a golden spike?
 

Attachments

  • Picture 203.webp
    Picture 203.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 296
  • Picture 204.webp
    Picture 204.webp
    13.3 KB · Views: 291
  • Picture 205.webp
    Picture 205.webp
    15 KB · Views: 300
  • Picture 208.webp
    Picture 208.webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 284
  • Picture 209.webp
    Picture 209.webp
    11.4 KB · Views: 279
Would you mind elaborating a little? I'm not sure I understand what you have there.

Thanks for posting.
 
Upvote 0
Hmm, good luck with this one!
 
Upvote 0
My bad on testing, color indicating not gold. I'll test the other solution test, but definately copper in piece.

Nickel/Silver/copper alloy.
 
Upvote 0
Most likely it is a fragment off a ship's spike. I've found many fragments such as this, as well as whole spikes down here in S. Jersey, particularly on the location of the old barn. I've surmised that much of the lumber used by the settlers down here near the coast has been salvaged wood from the hundreds of wrecks, and as such would have spikes in it. When the wood's burned or eventually rots away, these spikes and fragments are all that you have left.
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
Most likely it is a fragment off a ship's spike. I've found many fragments such as this, as well as whole spikes down here in S. Jersey, particularly on the location of the old barn. I've surmised that much of the lumber used by the settlers down here near the coast has been salvaged wood from the hundreds of wrecks, and as such would have spikes in it. When the wood's burned or eventually rots away, these spikes and fragments are all that you have left.

Thanks johnnyi :icon_thumright: This fragment found on former old inland RR track. Spike it is then, but not gold ;D
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED From a shipwreck
Replies
2
Views
453
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Interesting item
Replies
3
Views
417

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom