Good quartz rocks from abandoned mine = profits!

goodie hunter

Jul 24, 2011
Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Strictly Garrett

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,473
Upvote 0
Great job--nicely done!

All the best,

Lanny

That is beautiful! Great find and sounds like fun, I'd love to hunt around old mines, but there aren't any around here. HH

This could be a banner find in the making! let us know how it works out:)

absolutely beautiful!

how do you extract it from the rock? neat find btw.

When I first saw this gold in quartz, I also thought you could extract and sell all the gold from the rocks in your truck as the price of gold is so high now. But if profit is wanted, this lovely piece would probably sell even higher as a specimen to a rock and mineral collector. Thousands of people buy beautiful and unique specimens like this one to add to their collection displays. I'm part of a family of rockhounds and there's many others like us. So I hope you don't do anything to it! Andi

Looks like the abandoned mine might not be played out. But it took some time and an MD to find it. WTG!

the chinese used to buy out old mines and get alot of left behind gold. neat find

wwwtimmcp said:
the chinese used to buy out old mines and get alot of left behind gold. neat find

...kind of..Chinese were never allowed to own a claim and were ran off(killed)if a Yankee thought they were getting much.The Chinese would follow up behind the Yanks however and work ground thought to be "played out",or not worth working,and they did often do very well
What makes detecting old tailings worth while is the fact that often quartz in vein or lead is encased in mud,or clay and it is almost impossible to discern every piece of quartz when usually most of it is barren

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back