Goodwill Finds - 660g of Sterling Silver = $568 - 6 Goblets $3 each!!!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the local Goodwill shop for a shot glasses or beer mugs but I always keep my eye open for silver and today I scored!!! The cashier said "oh those look nice" and after I paid I said "yea look closer right here' (to the sterling mark) and she said "OHHH f%#@ they are not priced correctly" LOL I still got them for $3 each.

*UPDATE* I just weighed the goblets and they each weigh 110g so all 6 equals 660grams of sterling silver and I looked online for the scrap silver price and its $568!!!! Not bad for $18 spent at the local Goodwill.

Nice score man. Good eye! Hope you can do some md videos soon I get a kick out of you and your crew. Anyway cheers from Cincinnati!

You did better than me. Nice score. The company that made them is Mueck-Cary, New York, probably date to the 50's.

I seen this youtube lastnight.. really nice score.. I only have one negative thing to say.. When ever you find nice scores never tip the thrift store off they messed up.. you only hurt yourself in the long run..

Nice finds!!!!!

I would have never told the sales clerk about those. In just one moment of time, she could have called for the manager, and then refused your transaction.

Nice finds!!!!!

I would have never told the sales clerk about those. In just one moment of time, she could have called for the manager, and then refused your transaction.

Not sure of the law where you live, but if it's marked and on the shelf here in Texas, they are required to sell them for that. Otherwise, it's false advertising. I gave up on Goodwill a long time ago, never found a good deal in one.

I apologise, treasurefiend. I got on a rant and forgot to say, killer find!

Not sure of the law where you live, but if it's marked and on the shelf here in Texas, they are required to sell them for that. Otherwise, it's false advertising. I gave up on Goodwill a long time ago, never found a good deal in one.

It's not about the law. He showed them their screw up, now they will be more diligent in checking their merchandise before pricing it. That may be the last find like that at that store.

Other than that, sweeeet!!!!

Very nice find. I also would have stayed quiet about it until I whooped all the way home.

It's not about the law. He showed them their screw up, now they will be more diligent in checking their merchandise before pricing it. That may be the last find like that at that store.

Other than that, sweeeet!!!!
Exactly my point above, I always play stupid.. for example I bought 3 wooden duck decoys for 5.00 each.. the women working there thought they was yard oraments.. I knew exactly what they was but went along with what they thought they was.. sameways if I find sterling I always play it off as plated...

Yea guys I definitely learned my lesson, I am going to be quiet from now on.

That is not the law here.

I wasn't trying to be rude towards you.. I want you to continue to find good things..

No not at all bud, it makes perfect sense not to bring attention to high dollar goodies slipping past them.

They must hire retired museum curators as sorters around here because there is never anything remotely approaching hidden deals at the thrift shops we go to. Hope that person isn't bright enough to tell the mgr or anyone that matters.

I've been having great success with American Brilliant Cut glass, pre-1900 China imports, and a very nice painting from a famous artist.
When I get the whim, I will post a thread of my finds. Forgot, have found some sterling and .925 as well.

The best thing I found lately wasn't for sale, it was a display piece, go figure. Yesterday at a local Goodwill I spotted it. It was a Wolf's neck to ankle dress form model 1987 on a rolling cast iron base ($1600 retail). Not something I know anything about but it was very cool looking and in excellent shape. Here's a photo of one-

wolf.JPG

Wolf Forms. Leading the Industry in Standard & Custom High Quality Forms.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back