What's new

Gorgot with Tally Marks

gordonquixote

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2012
Messages
411
Reaction score
308
Golden Thread
0
Location
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Semi-recently a small river near me dried up and being near good arrowhead hunting spots, a few friends and I decided to walk the riverbed. I found one whole nice spearpoint and several broken pieces that would have been stunners but here is the prize of the day....

There was a large flat bend in the river and I flipped over a large rock and saw the outline of this piece. I didn't really see what it was and I smacked it on the rock to knock the sand off of it....it was only then that I saw both holes. If I had broken it, I would have cried.

Anyway...the holes are not perfectly round (acidity erosion of soft stone?) but check out the tally marks (9) on the bottom edge of the first photo .

This is my first, only, and best 'personal daily life piece". I only wish I knew what the tally marks were for.



 
Upvote 0
Really nice find!!!!
 
Very nice like the reed drilled holes and river patina. I am glad you did not break it either! Great save.
 
Now that one has some nice patina on it. Im still looking for me one....Good Find
 
What is the size of your find?
 
Nice One!! Tallied artifacts are hard to come by for sure.

Lets see that spear point
 
20141006_203311-1_zpszzgon4a1.jpg


Nice One!! Tallied artifacts are hard to come by for sure.

Lets see that spear point

Here it is. I kid you not....this was in the FIRST pothole in the rock river bottom that I hit. It was a mile or two from the gorget....we walked the river bottom all day.
 
Last edited:
Absolutely love the river patina on that one
 
Nice stain on that point
 
Way cool on both finds!
 
Niceuns congrats...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom