What's new

Got 160 in dimes and learned something new

gtfan76

Full Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2010
Messages
143
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Well today i went to a bank that usaully never produces well and asked for dimes as she was getting them i saw what i think is a 40% siler and 90% silvers halves in her tray. I act casual and ask for the halves also. Well while she was getting them she grabs the 2 silver and puts them next to the tray, and hands me the clad. This was when i got a little mad, she knew i only wanted the silver but she kept it anyway. Now i know why you should be quiet and never tell tellers about looking for silver.

The dimes were a skunk :BangHead: :angry4: :BangHead: :angry4: :BangHead:
 
Upvote 0
gtfan76 said:
Well while she was getting them she grabs the 2 silver and puts them next to the tray, and hands me the clad. This was when i got a little mad, she knew i only wanted the silver but she kept it anyway. Now i know why you should be quiet and never tell tellers about looking for silver.

I have found that there are generally 3 types of tellers:

1. Those that know the value of silver coins and keep them for themselves.
2. Those that know that some coins are silver but don't care about them and will willingly give them to a CRHer and maybe even save them up for you.
3. Those that are simply not aware that US coins were once made of silver and are now quite valuable.

I agree that a CRHer should never brag or educate a teller about silver coins because you can change a 3. to a 1. instantly. Even a 2. might change to a 1. if he/she finds out that the silver coins are worth 12X face.

When I was out searching for halves like a maniac I always said that I was getting them to build complete sets of all the years the coins were made. I never mentioned silver. If the teller mentioned it first I would acknowledge that sometimes a silver coin can be found but it is very rare. I guess that has come to be the truth nowadays for me so I was not lying.

Jim
 
jim4silver said:
gtfan76 said:
Well while she was getting them she grabs the 2 silver and puts them next to the tray, and hands me the clad. This was when i got a little mad, she knew i only wanted the silver but she kept it anyway. Now i know why you should be quiet and never tell tellers about looking for silver.

I have found that there are generally 3 types of tellers:

1. Those that know the value of silver coins and keep them for themselves.
2. Those that know that some coins are silver but don't care about them and will willingly give them to a CRHer and maybe even save them up for you.
3. Those that are simply not aware that US coins were once made of silver and are now quite valuable.

I agree that a CRHer should never brag or educate a teller about silver coins because you can change a 3. to a 1. instantly. Even a 2. might change to a 1. if he/she finds out that the silver coins are worth 12X face.

When I was out searching for halves like a maniac I always said that I was getting them to build complete sets of all the years the coins were made. I never mentioned silver. If the teller mentioned it first I would acknowledge that sometimes a silver coin can be found but it is very rare. I guess that has come to be the truth nowadays for me so I was not lying.

Jim

Ya thats a good idea ill say that. thanks for the info
 
I would have asked for the manager and told them about it. Some banks tellers aren't allowed to take coins from their trays. Other banks allow it. That teller knew what you wanted, it just doesn't seem fair.
 
I always say I'm searching for mint errors, or filling a coin folder. If they mention silver, I always reply "it's cheaper to just buy silver", (the truth where I come from). ffd
 
Why do they just let them sit in the tray!!!!!!!! I will never understand this. :icon_scratch:
 
dave5710 said:
Why do they just let them sit in the tray!!!!!!!! I will never understand this. :icon_scratch:
It's gotta be a power trip, plain and simple. When I first started crh'ing, I went into the credit union where my wife works, and noticed the silver halves in the trays, clads on top. I was able to buy them all, thanks to my wife's influence. Much later, i inquired as to why they stack 'em like this, on display. "Teller's preference", she said, whatever that means.

ffd
 
In that case, bring your dumps there!!
 
how rude! they need to buy 'em from their drawer if they want them...not let them sit out in the open to tease crh'ers!
keep it up and hh!
PS dump 20k a week on them...by then the teller will give up on looking for silver, and then u can buy the silver, cuz they will not even look anymore!)
 
It happened to me once. And I was too shocked to do anything. Next time it happens to me. It will be a close cal as to whether I'm talking to the bank manager or the police.
 
WormtownFJR said:
It happened to me once. And I was too shocked to do anything. Next time it happens to me. It will be a close cal as to whether I'm talking to the bank manager or the police.
You have got to be kidding.
 
gtfan76 said:
Well today i went to a bank that usaully never produces well and asked for dimes as she was getting them i saw what i think is a 40% siler and 90% silvers halves in her tray. I act casual and ask for the halves also. Well while she was getting them she grabs the 2 silver and puts them next to the tray, and hands me the clad. This was when i got a little mad, she knew i only wanted the silver but she kept it anyway. Now i know why you should be quiet and never tell tellers about looking for silver.

The dimes were a skunk :BangHead: :angry4: :BangHead: :angry4: :BangHead:

Oh wow..I would have raised hell...dont they legally have to give you what you ask for?..your the customer..not the teller...I would be fuming as being escorted out of the bank :laughing9:
 
Diggin-N-Dumps said:
gtfan76 said:
Well today i went to a bank that usaully never produces well and asked for dimes as she was getting them i saw what i think is a 40% siler and 90% silvers halves in her tray. I act casual and ask for the halves also. Well while she was getting them she grabs the 2 silver and puts them next to the tray, and hands me the clad. This was when i got a little mad, she knew i only wanted the silver but she kept it anyway. Now i know why you should be quiet and never tell tellers about looking for silver.

The dimes were a skunk :BangHead: :angry4: :BangHead: :angry4: :BangHead:

Oh wow..I would have raised hell...dont they legally have to give you what you ask for?..your the customer..not the teller...I would be fuming as being escorted out of the bank :laughing9:
They don't legally have to give you what you ask for. It's a piece of silver, not your life's blood. If you feel you can't make it through the day without it, there's a serious problem there. I know. I've been there!
 
WormtownFJR said:
It happened to me once. And I was too shocked to do anything. Next time it happens to me. It will be a close cal as to whether I'm talking to the bank manager or the police.

LOL ;D
 
[/quote]They don't legally have to give you what you ask for. It's a piece of silver, not your life's blood. If you feel you can't make it through the day without it, there's a serious problem there. I know. I've been there!
[/quote]
They dont legally have to give you what they ask for? What is there job then? Its not a piece of silver, Its a coin, and it what the banks are set up to do, which is deposit and distrubute currency. I wouldnt lose any sleep over it. But if i where there and saw a few in the tray and they put them aside..i would be asking what the deal is
 
One way to get back at her. Bring a load of dumps there sometime, label all of your rolls with dates pre- 1970. Even get creative and put walker dates on them. Just make sure you put another mark on them that you know of, you don't want to come across those rolls in the future and think you've hit the jackpot.
 
They don't legally have to give you what you ask for. It's a piece of silver, not your life's blood. If you feel you can't make it through the day without it, there's a serious problem there. I know. I've been there!
[/quote]
They dont legally have to give you what they ask for? What is there job then? Its not a piece of silver, Its a coin, and it what the banks are set up to do, which is deposit and distrubute currency. I wouldnt lose any sleep over it. But if i where there and saw a few in the tray and they put them aside..i would be asking what the deal is

[/quote]

It doesn't seem fair, but the truth is that banks aren't the library or the park. They are a little more private than that. They legally are not obligated to give you any specific piece of currency or coin you ask for, just the amount you request.

John
 
blurr said:
They don't legally have to give you what you ask for. It's a piece of silver, not your life's blood. If you feel you can't make it through the day without it, there's a serious problem there. I know. I've been there!
They dont legally have to give you what they ask for? What is there job then? Its not a piece of silver, Its a coin, and it what the banks are set up to do, which is deposit and distrubute currency. I wouldnt lose any sleep over it. But if i where there and saw a few in the tray and they put them aside..i would be asking what the deal is

[/quote]

It doesn't seem fair, but the truth is that banks aren't the library or the park. They are a little more private than that. They legally are not obligated to give you any specific piece of currency or coin you ask for, just the amount you request.

John
[/quote]

I guess youre right...it just irks me..Guess its just part of the Game :laughing9: :laughing9:
 
Diggin-N-Dumps said:
blurr said:
They don't legally have to give you what you ask for. It's a piece of silver, not your life's blood. If you feel you can't make it through the day without it, there's a serious problem there. I know. I've been there!
They dont legally have to give you what they ask for? What is there job then? Its not a piece of silver, Its a coin, and it what the banks are set up to do, which is deposit and distrubute currency. I wouldnt lose any sleep over it. But if i where there and saw a few in the tray and they put them aside..i would be asking what the deal is

It doesn't seem fair, but the truth is that banks aren't the library or the park. They are a little more private than that. They legally are not obligated to give you any specific piece of currency or coin you ask for, just the amount you request.

John
[/quote]

I guess youre right...it just irks me..Guess its just part of the Game :laughing9: :laughing9:
[/quote]

BACK UP THE TRUCK...
I thought about this a bit.
There are two things that should concern management. Legality isn't one of them.One, tellers swapping their coins (yes they are replacing them with equal value, but that is immaterial) when they are supposed to be doing their JOB. Two, to do that in front of a customer is rude and unprofessional. If they were my tellers and on the clock I want them to be thinking about thier jobs and how best to please my customers.
First thing to do is ask to talk to the head teller, if no resolution then go to the manager. If you really want to sweat the tellers ask to talk to the manager in their office ask how to contact the district manager. Frankly, I would go as far up until someone agreed with me (CEO, owner whatever). If the bank allows tellers to pick from their trays fine, but I really doubt they would allow a teller to do that in front of a customer once you explain to them.

Really folks, this is piss poor customer service. If tellers want the silver they can swap it when there are no customers present. There is NO excuse to do this in front of a customer period. I can't wait for it to happen to me again. I have no reservations about getting that person fired. It is no longer about the silver. The teller just spit in your face. This isn't an exact analogy but, lets say you go onto a store with the goods in a counter and you ask to look at the one thing you really like. The counter help pulls the item out and says it isn't available.

Glenn
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom