Got permission for 1890 Mansion, but question

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Yesterday I got permission from one of my customers to metal detect this fall at an 1890 Mansion. He said there are big giant old trees on the property near the house.

From what I've read, it seems most Cache's are found at the base of the oldest or biggest tree on the property and not very far away from the house. Generally buried in a glass jar.

Is that correct? or where is the best place to look? I may only get one chance at this.

Dan-Pa.

Oct 30, 2010
How do you know there are any caches....sort of a needle in a haystack...I would concentrate on silver coins and remember they had parties back in the day and have found some very nice old jewelry so use low disc. and investigate...

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
....Caches are buried in a place that is easy to observe from the house....probably from a back window....try the old trees in the backyard.....or the space between the trees...hunt in all metal and investigate any big and wide signals.....Caches were buried in all sorts of different containers not just in glass Mason jars......that is why I said to hunt in all metal ...some of the smaller caches are buried in the old Prince Albert Tobacco Tin Cans....after all this time this container has pretty much rusted all to pieces.....some detectors will Not even detect it in the discriminate mode....GL.....JT

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
..Also try the site of the old OutHouse...and around the water cistern.....if there is any out buildings or attached garages that is also a good spot to look......JT

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ask your customer for pictures of the house (or knows where they can be found) from that period up to (say) the 1950s.
If so, examine them for clues. (Like a porch full of people , but the porch no longer exists.)
Don.....

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
First, before you detect, find out where the power lines ,if any, are buried, where the septic tank and drain fields are and if there are any covered wells. (safety factors) Now for the search. Think like the cachier who did not have a detector. He had to use markers to find his cache. Markers can be any prominent object like an old tree or stump now, a large rock, a building-usually the corner. Now, he would pace out from the marker in a primary compass direction or toward another marker. ( He paced these lines, you detect these lines.)
Now they did have activities, usually in the back yard, but in some large houses big front porches were utilized quite frequently.
Hope this helps frank...

05062v.jpg

Last edited:

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be absolutely clear on who owns what after it's found.

My understanding is outhouses were about 15 steps out the back door, down wind. I agree with Frankn: Think like the cachier

Good Luck!

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some good points here already . yes check around the big old trees because there was alot of traffic there , from kids climbing and hanging upside down and losing items , to picnics to people just sitting and enjoying the shade , so alot of chances to find change, jewelry and other items.
as for caches , from what i have been reading ( since i am not lucky enough to found any yet ) joe is right, the person would bury them in a spot not easily seen by public , so back yard would be good , but usually in sight so he could see it from windows in the back of the house to watch the spot. also inside old sheds or barns would be a spot to bury items unseen.
i have also heard the old outhouse spots and cloths lines are good places to find dropped items.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1890s isn't that old to expect to find caches. I have found far less coins hunting old mansions than plain houses of the same era. I think the rich folk didn't carry loose change around as much as plain folk. I also think people with mansions were secure with their money and banks and safe deposit boxes and had less likely need to bury money. Good luck at it, but don't go in expecting a cache unless you have very good info that one was laid down there.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
1890s isn't that old to expect to find caches. I have found far less coins hunting old mansions than plain houses of the same era. I think the rich folk didn't carry loose change around as much as plain folk. I also think people with mansions were secure with their money and banks and safe deposit boxes and had less likely need to bury money. Good luck at it, but don't go in expecting a cache unless you have very good info that one was laid down there.

I have to slightly disagree with this theory based on actual fines. The rich might not have carried much change, but it was usually gold coins. And there children were well provided for. Way back with my first detector,a Whites S63TR Goldmaster, I found a gold $5 coin behind an old mansion at the base of an old oak tree. I have also found cashes composed of coins in jars in gardens behind mansions. Just thoughts from my experiences. Frank...

View attachment 823659

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread