GOT PERMITION TO DET THEN ASKED NOT TO COME BACK

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector
HELLO FROM BAINBRIDGE GA. WELL THE DAY WENT GREAT, I WAS GIVEN PERMISSION TO DET AT A 1893 HOMESTEAD.. I DET FOR ABOUT 2 HR AND FOUND MORE PENNYS THEN A PENNY BANK COULD HOLD AND TWO DOLLERS WORTH OF QUARTERS .. THEN IN THE SECOND HR MY DELEON HIT 95 SILVER 4 INCHES DEEP. POPED OUT MY FIRST CANNON GRAPE SHOT IN PERFECT CONDITION.. WELL AFTER DET FOR A LITTLE WHILE I DECIDED TO STOP FOR LUNCH.. I SHOWED THE OWNER ALL MY GOODIES AND DIDNT MAKE TO MUCH OF A FUSS ABOUT THE CANNON GRAPE SHOT.. WELL SHE ASK ME TO PLEASE CALL HER BEFORE I CAME BACK THAT AFTERNOON.. I CALLED BACK AND SHE TOLD ME THAT HER HUSBAND REMINDED HER THAT THERE CHILDREN HAD A MD AND HE WANTED ME NOT TO DET ON THERE PROPERTY.. I KIND OF FORGOT TO TELL THEM THAT I USED MY CLEAN SWEEP COIL THROUGHOUT THE YARD AND I DONT THINK THERES NOTHING LEFT TO DET... NEXT TIME IM NOT GOING TO VOLUNTEER ABOUT SHOWING MY GOODIES :tongue3:

Upvote 0

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is great to show the goodies though. That is the honor of detecting. May have suggested to offer some as thanks. Then who knows may have let you back to help them all, on knowing how and what to do in detecting. Allot of novices just don't know how. May still bring out the offer but wait till the husband gets home and speak to him.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SORRY THAT HAPPENED BUT DOING THE RIGHT THING IS STILL DOING THE RIGHT THING. SOUNDS LIKE YOU GOT TO KEEP YOUR FINDS.

-BUCKLEBOY

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
CAPS LOCK STUCK >>> ???

A pic of the grape shot would be Righteous ... :thumbsup:

~ Nick ~

I agree ~ less capital letters and more pictures of the treasures! WE NEED PICTURES!!!

8^)

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
I was talking with a woman in my store the other day about maybe detecting on her property and she told me her son wanted a metal
detector for christmas. I told her bout all the fun I have with the hobby
and that her yard would be the perfect place for him to learn. I even offered to show him a few pointers. She's gonna discuss it with her
hubby and maybe let me come over to detect and bring in a new
hobbyist :thumbsup:

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
AMC rulz said:
What's a grape shot?

AMC ... I'm sure you'll get lots of responses as to you question of "What's a grape shot?" well to make it simple.. think shotgun shell.. or rather the pellets in a shotgun shell.. only bigger! CANNON SIZED bigger!
It was a very very VERY nasty projectile package used extensively in the Civil War (American Civil War). They would load the powder charge into the cannon, then some "wadding" then a "cannister" or rather a canvas bag with a wooden disk as a base with stacks and stacks of grape sized lead balls packed into it like the size of a coffee can. When the charge was set off (cannon fired) usually at a line of enemy infantry or cavalry charging the cannon's position.. close range.. Yeah.. just like a huge shotgun. NASTY with a capitol N.
Of course grape shot was a prepared load.. sometimes the cannoneers would improvise "grape" shot.. when they ran out of prepared loads, they would thow in things like chain, nuts and bolts, even rocks. But I digress.. so there you have it, in haphazard detail that's probably over simplified and probably missing some tidbit or other of fact that some of your fellow metal detectorist will supply after reading this. <grin> Hope I didn't step on anyone's toes. <laughing>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
No sense dwelling on a negative. Go right out and secure another spot. It happened to me last month when I was asking the landowner about detecting his land and he said "I've been letting someone else detect it" I began to thank him for his time when from around the corner his wife jumps out and exclaims "WE DONT LET ANYONE METAL DETECT OUR LAND" The reason I just shouted is because she was shouting it. I was thinking to myself that that is not what the husband just said. I got out of there before my caveman instincts set in. I instantly went to the next property on the list and was told. "Sure no problem I would be curious as to whatyou find and you may keep it all." The lesson is don't get discouraged and if I were you I would let that guy teach his own kid to detect. So many places so little time.
Chris

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
well that sucks but like others, Ive learned to keep my yap shut! Show some junk and trickets ,that way they dont get greedy !

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Homer007,
Don't let it discourage you. I had a similar incident happen to me this summer and I've heard other stories on the forum just like it. I think some people are just funny about looking out their windows and seeing a stranger kneeling in their yard digging holes ;D So many sites,so little time...
Jerry

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know it wasn't what you wanted to hear,but it sounds great for what you did get the permission to dig.You also showed her what you found and that may be the inspiration to get her family out there and find some neat stuff and create there own memories.

Great job on the finds,Nova Treasure

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had permission from the present owner of my old home where I grew up. The lady was about 90 and a very nice lady. She said I could but not to leave any holes. She was afraid of stepping in one and falling. I was very careful and replaced all my plugs so you couldn't even tell I had been there, but she came out and told me to stop. Same reason, she was afraid of falling. I didn't argue, just gathered up my stuff and left. Didn't find anything in the whole 20 minutes I hunted, but I did get to look around my old house and it brought back many memories of my childhood. It was worth the trip. Sometimes older people are just different I guess? I said older because I am 64 and my kids think I'm old! Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread