Got shorted $40. What shoiuld I do???

999digger

Aug 31, 2010
Wisconsin
I dropped off my change at the bank and i was shorted $40. The $40 came from being shorted on my dimes.(I was shorted about 370 dimes) The funny part is that they weren't counted as pennies:icon_scratch:. They ran each bag through the coin counter and each bag was dead on. If anybody has any idea of what could of happen or what i should do, PLEASE POST! Help would greatly be appreciated. I am confused.
Thank you

Upvote 0

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandmother said never to trust banks!

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I have no suggestion about what you can do this time, only what you can do NEXT time.

When you go into the bank, you need to know very close what your total should be.

Don't "leave it off" unless you are using coin-lock bags. Stay right there until it is counted,

BECAUSE if you leave the bank, there is very little you can do.

WHEN the tally comes back short, notify the teller that you disagree with the tally, and ask them to RERUN the coin, or check the balance at the end of the day.

I have had my total corrected several times both ways.

AND BTW....if you complain about being shorted $40, then it is only fair to notify the teller if the total is $40 MORE THAN YOU BROUGHT IN.

Keep on Rollin' !

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dropped off my change at the bank and i was shorted $40. The $40 came from being shorted on my dimes.(I was shorted about 370 dimes) The funny part is that they weren't counted as pennies:icon_scratch:. They ran each bag through the coin counter and each bag was dead on. If anybody has any idea of what could of happen or what i should do, PLEASE POST! Help would greatly be appreciated. I am confused.
Thank you

I got shorted 11 dollars on dimes also this week. I told the head teller that they need to check the machine by running a box through it and that I was sort 11 dollars. They said they would tell coinstar and if was in there they would credit my acct.
I wrote it off but if they give me a credit for it, it is good.
good luck.

Last edited:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to be better at this... hard to keep track when I add in random amounts every day... Just need to be better in general.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Ran into this situation. I got screwed $100 in dimes. The teller called the machine company to check but they "claimed" that it was correct. Really nothing you can do. Bite the bullet.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Dimes carry the highest risk of counting short. They can count as cents, or two can scoot through together and count as one.

I suggest that when you dump dimes, dump in increments of $50 or $100. In other words, find yourself a dozen bins (http://www.harborfreight.com/20-piece-poly-bins-and-rails-41949.html) that hold $50 face of dimes and put $50 worth of dimes in each bin. If it's a self serve coin machine, make sure each bin counts as $50 before starting the next bin. If not, stop dumping.

If the coin machine is behind the teller window, ask the teller to make sure each bin counts as $50 before doing the next bin. If not, stop.

Your only option for this instance is to let the lead teller know that you think you were shorted. If they are over, they will credit you. If not, it's a loss.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suck it up?? If they checked what can you do?? It just part of the game!

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll be rolling dimes from now on. I won't be using machines anymore for dimes. Not worth worrying about a miscount.

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
I have been shorted about 5 times doing this. The worst was $875 in quarters , which after talking to the manager I got my money back in about aweek. This past fall I got shorted $375 on dimes at TD. The money was never found. I said to the teller and the branch manager, that it has to go some were , but its still lost out there some place. Most of the time if you speak to the person in charge , and you know how much you had, they will try to find it. When I got my $875 back the teller said we get a few hundred credit from the counting service every week. Most people dumping at TD really have know clue at how much they are dumping. So if the count is off they will never know. The only good thing for me was finding a 42 over 41 merc at the branch that clipped me for the $375. HH and good luck. Brian

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing to consider is that you may have been shorted at least part of the $40 by the bags, boxes, CWRs or whatever you were searching. For example just because you searched 8 boxes, or 4 bags, or 400 CWRs of dimes and found 10 keepers doesn't necessarily mean that you have exactly $1999 in dumps. To be completely sure of what you have, you must count every dime before dumping.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Another thing to consider is that you may have been shorted at least part of the $40 by the bags, boxes, CWRs or whatever you were searching. For example just because you searched 8 boxes, or 4 bags, or 400 CWRs of dimes and found 10 keepers doesn't necessarily mean that you have exactly $1999 in dumps. To be completely sure of what you have, you must count every dime before dumping.

This is just as likely as the dump being off. I've been shorted in rolls and in bags.
If you don't want to count, you can weigh. Rolls of clad will always weigh the same within about 5%. Rolls with Ag might weigh slightly heavier. Rolls that are short (or over) by one or more coins will show up by weight.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just make a claim with the manager and see how it goes. If you don't say something then you loose because of you did not say anything, if you say something and still out the money at least you made the effort.

OP
OP
999digger

999digger

Aug 31, 2010
Wisconsin
My question is where did the dimes actually go? they werent in any other bag, and they counted each bag again and they were all dead on.They financed everything when the bank closed that day and they said that there was not any extra money. I know for fact that i took those dimes to the bank. I even checked the place where i checked them and my car.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
My question is where did the dimes actually go? they werent in any other bag, and they counted each bag again and they were all dead on.They financed everything when the bank closed that day and they said that there was not any extra money. I know for fact that i took those dimes to the bank. I even checked the place where i checked them and my car.
It sure sounds like you were probably shorted by your pickup bank. I'm assuming that you didn't count them as you searched them. If each roll was short one or two coins, that would explain it. Is that possible?

OP
OP
999digger

999digger

Aug 31, 2010
Wisconsin
It sure sounds like you were probably shorted by your pickup bank. I'm assuming that you didn't count them as you searched them. If each roll was short one or two coins, that would explain it. Is that possible?
I only picked up $105 in dimes(21 rolls), 30 rolls of nickels(which were dead on)

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you only consider complete rolls then it must include rolls of both nickels and dimes. However you figure it the Bank makes 22 percent and " they don't need no stinken bailout!"???

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow people are getting short by 100$+, well my lost penny box on the parking lot doesn't even stand beside those amounts lost.
One thing is when the shortage is due to a stupidity (like in my case), another thing is when the counter is off.
Remember, try and ask, at the end you can say to yourself: "At least I tried"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread