What's new

Got skunked with Ike coins

jag1022

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Socorro, NM
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II sl
Got a call from my teller friend that someone turned in 260 dollars in large Ike dollars. I jumped on it but turned out that I skunked :( So now I got $260 in huge coins.
 
Upvote 0
they make great gifts for kids....they love em...so big and heavy..and a great way to get them into coin collecting as most won't spend them...i know guys who used to coach sports and gave them to the kids for recognition of outstanding plays and such
 
Keep them! Any time I get my hands on an Ike, I keep it. I am not sure what the heck to do with all of them (I have around 400), but they sure are cool to look at.
 
Take a look at the 1972 for the type II and look at the 1971-D for the FEV (Friendly Eagle Variety). I'll post some pickup points if you want.

I also like looking for Peg Legs.

65GT350
 
Dump 'em on a teller who gave you lip in the past. :icon_scratch:
 
I'de just dump them at the next bank.
 
mistergee said:
and look at the 1971-D for the FEV (Friendly Eagle Variety).
I also like looking for Peg Legs.
:icon_scratch:

The FEV is a 1971-D that uses a different set of dies. You can do a google search for the entire story. But here are some markers to look for:

FEV Eagle.webp No extra brow above eagles eye
FEV Earth.webp Islands are in a line by Florida, Florida is also pointing straight down compared to regular IKE. Also the Gulf of Mexico is rounder compared to the regular IKE.

The above are FEV markers. The below are regular 1971-D

1971-D Eagle.webp
71-D Earth.webp

Here are pictures of what a Peg Leg looks like compared to a regular R

Pegleg R.webp
Reg R.webp

Hope this helps

65GT350
 
i keep all ike dollars too. i really like them. i bet when you carry one of those around you knew you had a dollar in your pocket, now you can't tell the difference in dollars and quarters.
 
Remember too, aside from the obvious, to keep any from '73 (the lowest minted for those not intended for circulation) and '77P (the lowest minted for those intended for circulation).

Nicely done and good luck.
 
i got 3 of the77's in my last batch and didn't realize it and sent them back...only kept the ones i needed for the collection...shoulda looked up the mintage first...but was in a hurry to get some halfs and needed the cash
 
Thanks to everyone for replying. So far I've found a bunch of 77P. Should I keep them?
 
ANYONE FOUND A 73 IKE OUT THERE YET???

-GOLDEN SILVER
 
golden silver said:
ANYONE FOUND A 73 IKE OUT THERE YET???

-GOLDEN SILVER

I found 3 the first year I started over 3 years ago.. Have been thru over 4000 at this point and haven't found any in the last 2 1/2 years.

Mojo
 
golden silver said:
ANYONE FOUND A 73 IKE OUT THERE YET???

-GOLDEN SILVER

Got a couple here.
 
ask your local coin dealers before you dump them at a bank, last batch I had the coin dealer paid me $1.10 each for them
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom