Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went way back in the one woods and fought briars, tree falls and all. I think it was worth it. The soil there was much darker than in the nearby fields. Here's a group shot of the stuff with dirt. I always fail to bring my cameras out with me.

IMG_1376.JPG All clumped up and sitting on a plastic bag. I did manage to get dirt all over the one floor.

IMG_1377.JPG Here's the silvers, lots of Mercs and Barber dimes, the Morgan I posted a few days ago, a Mexican big thing, two seateds, a couple standing liberty quarters, all were pretty much black and I boiled them in water with baking soda in it. They need to be cleaned more now.

There are a couple nickels and cents in the mix. Cents were Indians and nickers were Buffalos.

IMG_1378.JPG Minie balls from a nearby site, some flat buttons and from a third site a key to California! I think it's rather recent as the iron attach ring is still on it.

I'll get them cleaned up...eventually. Been a tiring day already today.

Upvote 43

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the thought of retirement was a bit exaggerated!
:icon_thumleft:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is the most epic of all epic digs! Absolutely unbelievable!!! Is that a Mexican 8 Reales in the upper left. That’s a definite banner coin to me. Plus a haul of 4 Walkers, 2 SLQ’s, multiple Seated, Barbers and what is the silver to the right of the Morgan? Old German silver coin? Plus a haul of CW lead!

I’m glad you are feeling better. Leave some for the rest of us...

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the name of the Mexican coin! 8 Reales! I knew that, somewhere down deep, but was up binge watching youtube last night. I think it's a German coin, but I have to clean all the stuff up. Most of the coins were found with 10' of each other with some broken glass, and I may have missed a few. The CW relics were also fairly close together, so not much walking. And as I look outside right now it's cold and snowing again. Stupid weather. I'll get them cleaned up some more. Promised to get some info for another tnetter so will be doing that first.

I had the Deus out without the headphones, so probably missed some stuff.

Don't feel good today, either...

Last edited:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Omg I would be over the top with 1% of that take! Just plain incredible. Congratulations on a super hunt!:occasion14:

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul. Yeah, my first instinct on the one coin was that it was German States.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, so casual with that haul too!!

What a hunt. Cool!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I...don't...collect...silvers. Now the CW bullets, they're keepers. I just lucked onto a couple small areas the "herd" missed this year. Dozing some of the woods also helped.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Wow! Amazing finds? You don't collect coins, huh? I'll send you some money for postage so you can send them this way lol.

Was this a cache you came upon or were these all loose coins one and two at a time?

Good stuff!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! That’s what I call tearing it Up!!! Awesome Hunt!!! Congrats!!!!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it started out as a buried cache. There was some of that blue glass fruit jars used to be made out of laying all around. Several were very close together and the rest within a short distance.

And it's true I do not collect US coins, just colonial ones I have dug. I have about 4 or so colonials I have purchased over the years but once upon a time ago when I was about 7 or so, something like that, I had a nice collection of Morgans, Peace Dollars, Walkers and such. I think $12 or so. This was in the early 60's. I'd get them out and play with them all the time. All were gifts from grandparents. My mom decided I needed this thing called a "social security number" and a bank account so we went and got one and it was explained to me we were taking my little stash to the bank, I would get it back, and being a kid, I thought I'd get the same ones back. I didn't. I haven't been able to collect US coins ever since then, or any other kinds of coins for that matter. They mean squat to me. I look for key dates, the expensive kind, but haven't found one yet. I'd love to find a pre 1820 US gold coin, but I don't think that will ever happen. Only thing I keep are Civil War and earlier ones I have dug, which aren't that many. The rest, if not key dates, mean absolutely nothing to me. It's mom's fault!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
I think it started out as a buried cache. There was some of that blue glass fruit jars used to be made out of laying all around. Several were very close together and the rest within a short distance.

And it's true I do not collect US coins, just colonial ones I have dug. I have about 4 or so colonials I have purchased over the years but once upon a time ago when I was about 7 or so, something like that, I had a nice collection of Morgans, Peace Dollars, Walkers and such. I think $12 or so. This was in the early 60's. I'd get them out and play with them all the time. All were gifts from grandparents. My mom decided I needed this thing called a "social security number" and a bank account so we went and got one and it was explained to me we were taking my little stash to the bank, I would get it back, and being a kid, I thought I'd get the same ones back. I didn't. I haven't been able to collect US coins ever since then, or any other kinds of coins for that matter. They mean squat to me. I look for key dates, the expensive kind, but haven't found one yet. I'd love to find a pre 1820 US gold coin, but I don't think that will ever happen. Only thing I keep are Civil War and earlier ones I have dug, which aren't that many. The rest, if not key dates, mean absolutely nothing to me. It's mom's fault!

That is tough! I hate when a childhood experience ruins something for you. I quit baseball as a kid because of a mean and selfish coach who wouldn’t let me play because I wasn’t one of his favorites. We were like 11 lol. What did it matter?

So do you just sell the coins you find for melt or just box them up and put them away?

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you do your own doZing?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been known to operate a dozer and backhoe before, but the landowner in this case was clearing an ancient road out. I sell better ones on Ebay if I get any better coins but most I just take to a local dealer and sell them there. Numerous ones bring melt, others, more than melt.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer!!! Is the Mexican a Silver too? I’d be interested in it if you want to get rid of it, if it’s Silver:)

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's quite a pile of old silver there Mr. Smokey! Looks like you had a terrific week. Congrats!!!!

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding finds! Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread