🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
I thought the shut down meant, they work, but they just don't get paid.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought the shut down meant, they work, but they just don't get paid.

I believe essential personnel (i.e. air traffic controllers) have to report to work and won't be paid until the shutdown is over. But they will be paid in full.

For non-essential employees it's the other way around. They don't work, and when it's all over they get ALL of the back pay for the days they didn't work during the shutdown. What a racket. Nice work if you can get it I guess.

Edit: Added details about essential vs. non-essential workers.

Last edited:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, You pay a fee to use a national park WTF Seems your controlled thats no better than the UK Sure we have restrictions and laws but no one pays to use regional , state or national parks. Australia land of the free TP

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Non-Essential employees = Non-Essential jobs

People need to wake up to ALL the non-essential govt. jobs that need to be eliminated. Every govt. agency is over staffed and many agencies should be eliminated all together.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They only close what directly affects the public. Remember in 2013 Obama actually SPENT millions to close mt Rushmore? It's all drama. The politicians get their checks every week.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI, to avoid posts being deleted remember to keep all politics out of post replies.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The only relics I have come across around here are at the old cabin ruins I find when I'm out prospecting new areas. I doubt any of that would be protected since it's mostly cans and bottles from buried trash piles but ya never know. I haven't heard of a black market for rusted dr price baking powder cans hehe. That seemed to be a popular buy back then for the cabin dwellers.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you can’ts ervice the dumpsters and toilets, the parks have to close. Only the bears are allowed to do it in the woods!

For a lot of folks not getting your paycheck deposit in your bank on payday means things like mortgage payments may have to wait.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe essential personnel (i.e. air traffic controllers) have to report to work and won't be paid until the shutdown is over. But they will be paid in full.

For non-essential employees it's the other way around. They don't work, and when it's all over they get ALL of the back pay for the days they didn't work during the shutdown. What a racket. Nice work if you can get it I guess.

Edit: Added details about essential vs. non-essential workers.

After the last shutdown, the essential employees who were required to work without pay were awarded double time by a federal court that ruled it was illegal to require people to work for no pay. The additional pay was considered "damages". In past shutdowns, non-essential employees were paid straight time after the shutdown ended, but there is no guarantee of that. State gov't employees have not receive back pay when furloughed or during partial shutdowns, regardless of working or not.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And it will probably will go on awhile, but I could be wrong.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After the last shutdown, the essential employees who were required to work without pay were awarded double time by a federal court that ruled it was illegal to require people to work for no pay. The additional pay was considered "damages". In past shutdowns, non-essential employees were paid straight time after the shutdown ended, but there is no guarantee of that. State gov't employees have not receive back pay when furloughed or during partial shutdowns, regardless of working or not.

US Constitution Article 1 section 7 said:
Representatives and the Senate, shall, before it become a Law, be presented to the President of the United States; If he approve he shall sign it, but if not he shall return it, with his Objections to that House in which it shall have originated, who shall enter the Objections at large on their Journal, and proceed to reconsider it. If after such Reconsideration two thirds of that House shall agree to pass the Bill, it shall be sent, together with the Objections, to the other House, by which it shall likewise be reconsidered, and if approved by two thirds of that House, it shall become a Law. But in all such Cases the Votes of both Houses shall be determined by Yeas and Nays, and the Names of the Persons voting for and against the Bill shall be entered on the Journal of each House respectively. If any Bill shall not be returned by the President within ten Days (Sundays excepted) after it shall have been presented to him, the Same shall be a Law, in like Manner as if he had signed it, unless the Congress by their Adjournment prevent its Return, in which Case it shall not be a Law.

Congress might offer up triple-time. And, it might not need a President's stamp.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
....Have to admit if any where close to me it would be tempting....

toe-cutter, oh me oh my, HOW COULD YOU SAY such a thing ? The rules haven't been changed, despite anyone being there to care less or enforce. RECANT of your evil temptation !

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
toe-cutter, oh me oh my, HOW COULD YOU SAY such a thing ? The rules haven't been changed, despite anyone being there to care less or enforce. RECANT of your evil temptation !

I tell ya hes a sneaky one ol Mr. Temptation....lol

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone know how much train fare is from Chicago to Gettysburg? Just wonderin'. 😐

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, you don't want to hunt any federal park lands. Ever. I was at Gettysburg a couple years ago doing a car tour, again. Some of the areas are extremely accessible. I sat down on a stone fence next to a gentleman about my age. We struck up a conversation about Devil's Den, the place we were at. I figured he was a tourist. We went over some of the history, and I was quite surprised over his knowledge. A bit later as we were discussing Lee's decision to try to go right through the Yankee lines, I asked if he was a historian, he said no, he was one of many civilian "park watchers". They basically patrol the parks for free. Apparently people get hurt all the time at Devil's Den and they watch it and other places constantly to notify the authorities if they are needed. Heck, it even makes the newspapers when squirrels dig up nuts. People go into frenzies about others (including squirrels) digging in the parks. There are plenty of places to dig OUTSIDE the forbidden zones. Never go there. Any park, anywhere.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know how much train fare is from Chicago to Gettysburg? Just wonderin'. 

Train fare is cheap, it is the lawyer's fees that are expensive.

kmatcek

Greenie
May 5, 2006
Lufkin, TX
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
They get all the pay from when they were sitting on their butts when they go back to work. The unemployed are just on a vacation. I hope they saved up some money for the time they are not working and can relax.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread