What's new

A VERY LOVED LC, AND A SILVER HORSE

Vino

Banned
Joined
Jul 7, 2013
Messages
3,804
Reaction score
5,046
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took out a friend today for his first metal detecting experience. He just bought a ace 350. Anyway took him to a spot I thought he could find some cool stuff with some silvers.
He found some wheats and a Barber.
I think he is hooked. Especially since I found this LC. Lol
The silver horse has 89 scratched on the back. Wonder if that is 1889????
Thanks for looking.
George
 

Attachments

  • 1441666684351.webp
    1441666684351.webp
    36.9 KB · Views: 176
  • 1441666701080.webp
    1441666701080.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 1441666719350.webp
    1441666719350.webp
    28.1 KB · Views: 182
Upvote 24
Love digging old coppers- your's looks like a Coronet George. Think you may have spoiled him for his first time out lol all I dug was aluminum on my first outing.
 
Thanks Jon, I believe your right about that. He thinks this stuff you find everyday. Lol
And yes, Coronet head.
 
That horse is cool, but would have been amazing if early.
 
Nice job taking the fellow out. That silver is really neat.
 
Awesome digs, you reeled your buddy into the hobby hook line and sinker.
 
I'm guessing 1989 on your horse (the existing pin finding is highly suggestive of this more modern era ) Nice finds .

( I neglected to mention the font style of the sterling quality mark also argues for the later date .)
 
Last edited:
You needed to use less fairy dust and more ground clover in that hole. I bet in the right combo a chain cent would have appeared. Glad to see you got out bud and nice silver pony[emoji206]

Steve
 
Like I said in the text earlier, if it's made of silver, somehow your coil goes over it, I bet there's a .925 cowpie waiting for you somewhere lol! ! , good job showing someone the ropes and showing what kind of cool stuff can be found

I agree that's a cool horse!
 
Cool finds, love the little horse.

Nice of you to take your friend out on his first hunt. Man, to find a Barber on you're first hunt is crazy!
 
I'm guessing 1989 on your horse (the existing pin finding is highly suggestive of this more modern era ) Nice finds .

( I neglected to mention the font style of the sterling quality mark also argues for the later date .)

Dont get me wrong, it doesn't matter really either way. But wasn't most silver in 1989 stamped 925?
Just curious?
 
Cool finds, love the little horse.

Nice of you to take your friend out on his first hunt. Man, to find a Barber on you're first hunt is crazy!

Thanks Mike, any luck today?
 
.925 is associated a bit more with foreign silver after the 1970's . With silver manufactured in the U.S. you can get either one of them .
I'm guessing your piece was made "out" West, and obviously lost "back" East . I should say my comment about .925 pertains more
to Bali , India ,China , Mexico - than it does to any of the European countries , or England for that matter .
 
.925 is associated a bit more with foreign silver after the 1970's . With silver manufactured in the U.S. you can get either one of them .
I'm guessing your piece was made "out" West, and obviously lost "back" East . I should say my comment about .925 pertains more
to Bali , India ,China , Mexico - than it does to any of the European countries , or England for that matter .

Ahhh gotcha, thanks for that info.
George
 
Thanks Mike, any luck today?

I posted my finds a few minutes ago (thread called "Long Day, Lots Of Digging"). I dug a LOT of targets lol. Only a couple keepers, but I think your tweaks helped me find them...
 
Unless my eyes are deceiving me isn't that a 98 on the back of the horse (not an 89) :laughing7:. It's a cool little horse, but not sure the 98 indicates a year. It's a bit primitive as far as how it's made, but I'd guess 30s or 40s and maybe worn by an equestrian. Nice finds and nice you took a starting detectorist out :thumbsup:
 
Erik , That's what I'm seeing too , and as such I direct all my earlier verbage to a date of 1998 - i think this scratch mark is in fact
relating to the date of manufacture ( no compelling reason to believe otherwise ).
 
YOU GOT THE HORSE VINO NOW GO AND FIND THE CART . HORSE IS NEAT LOOKING .
 
You have been on a roll with the silver pins and badges recently!
 
I took out a friend today for his first metal detecting experience. He just bought a ace 350. Anyway took him to a spot I thought he could find some cool stuff with some silvers.
He found some wheats and a Barber.
I think he is hooked. Especially since I found this LC. Lol
The silver horse has 89 scratched on the back. Wonder if that is 1889????
Thanks for looking.
George

Nice Finds ..
Man You have Productive Sites Galore. I'm def, Envious.
But
I do know it can be hard Hunting .
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom